Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone remember Space 1999  (Read 2918 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Anyone remember Space 1999
« on: February 01, 2021, 07:35:33 pm »

I went a bit wild when I got my 3d printer, printing loads of stuff, some useful, some just decorative.
In this decorative category is my Space 1999 Eagle transporter. I did a couple of smaller one piece ones but removing the support was a nightmare, so I decided to print this one, 22 inches long and made up of separate parts.
 I decided I was going to build a diorama, so I printed a variety of figures and vehicles, these are not space 1999 items but I thought they looked cool and suitable for what I wanted. I customised a few of the vehicles to add  some variety.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Anyone remember Space 1999
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 07:47:40 pm »

Oh Yes, got the VHS cassettes !! and a Model Eagle Transporter to build..   :-)) :-))

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:17:50 pm »

I worked on a couple of episodes at Bray Studios a few years ago, well I say a few, maybe decades  {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 09:10:20 pm »

YEA  USED to whatch it an enjoyed it but then im into si/fi as i love startrek an built a merte long model of the movie enterprise an all lit up with loads of LED S
chris

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:12:46 pm »

YEA  USED to whatch it an enjoyed it but then im into si/fi as i love startrek an built a merte long model of the movie enterprise an all lit up with loads of LED S
chris

Any pics?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 09:34:26 pm »

My Product Enterprise Eagle had a repaint and I added some lunar radiation lightning bolts for good measure!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:41:39 pm »

Nice.. :-)) :-))

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:26:29 pm »

I would need a lot of lightning bolts to hold mine up, its quite heavy, I printed a lot of the parts solid for strength. Nice project though. I downloaded 100s of pics to copy paintschemes from. I found the website of the guy that undertook the restoration of an original model used for filming. If I remember correctly, it was scorched in places from pyro effects and covered in 'lunar dust'. The brass framework was in pretty bad shape too. My 3d printed one is pretty well detailed and has potential for some super detailing. Years ago I had the urge to build one from scratch, traced out the frames,landing gear pods, etc etc. Then I worked out it was going to cost me a fortune in brass tubing. The added detailing on the original was parts from many different plastic kits available at that time, a lot of them now very rare (expensive)
 To scratch build these would have to be a labour of love.
Getting the 3d printer for my birthday a few years ago, and then finding the eagle in different sizes was a stroke of luck, certainly saved me a small fortune in brass tube. 😁
And of course a few hundred, maybe thousand hours of scratchbuilding. I have added my own take on it for fitting the parts to the main ladder frame, they are held on with strips of ice cream tub plastic around the tubes and pla filament 'rivet pins' through holes in the ice cream tub plasic to anchor them. I have only mushroomed one end of the rivets so far, so they can be removed for painting the parts separately, which I have still to get round to doing 😁.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:41:17 pm »

I bet you didnt know they used bren gun carriers on the moon. Lol. Bit of artistic license there.
The central cargo pod was the biggest and longest print I had tried, took 2 attempts as the first part laid down on the print bed had warped by about 6 mm as the printer got close to finishing. This failed print will be halfway through a large door in my diorama with the good end poking out. Lol. Not wasting that much filament and not using it. I love the little loaders, they have filament hinge pins to allow the bits to move. The spacemen are not 1999 figures either, just scaled to correct size.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 03:07:50 am »

Yes, stories a bit iffy and those flares date it a tad but the hardware was outstanding!

The Eagle is still one amazing sci-fi craft.

Funnily enough I have just sold my Eagle transported and scratched made base last week!-This was set on Mars with the Moon gone and the Earth tidal locked the Mars base was now the place.

My Eagle is a MPC model kit with scratch made long range engine pod, the green pod indicates it is a seeding pod.

https://i.ibb.co/xCykwbw/IMG-9392.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/jv3R7JJ/IMG-9391.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/pQTRyL8/IMG-9390.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/FWrMctj/IMG-9389.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wC46C6G/IMG-9388.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/D7yF5TY/IMG-9386.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/zs6Xkws/IMG-9387.jpg
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 06:59:40 am »

Those models are awesome - it's one of the best props for any tv show.

Space 1999 is on tv every day - on the Horror Channel at 9am - I sometimes catch one and can't believe how dreadful the acting was and how derivative the plots were -and when Fred Freiberger joined the crew and it became a badly done re-hash of Star Trek episodes.      I remember one episode where Barbara Bain played being paralysed for most of the episode - and I don't think anyone noticed.

Give me Buck Rogers in the 25th Century any day.   :-))

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 09:10:54 am »

Nice models.
 I just wish that I was young enough to remember the show. Now if you do Fireball XL5, Stingray or International Rescue then I would be there!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 09:29:05 am »

Nice models.
 I just wish that I was young enough to remember the show. Now if you do Fireball XL5, Stingray or International Rescue then I would be there!!

Don't be too quick to think you are too old. Although Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet were aimed at young kids, shows like Space 1999, UFO and the original Battlestar Gallactica were aimed at an older audience. I seem to remember that Space 1999 was primetime TV at one time. I was definately the right age for Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet, and was working when I watched Space 1999, and UFO.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 10:53:49 am »

I notice that they always show the more popular ones like thunderbirds and recently captain scarlet but never the older Fireball XL5, not seen that since I was a kid - uuummmph many years ago  {-)

I got and still have the Airfix version of the eagle transporter and is in my mind the best space craft, then it would be the original transporter from the star wars franchise (the one where is passes in front of the star destroyer on its way to the planet of endor), the later versions in the series are more adulterated with notches and longer wings etc.

Always wanted the diecast version when they came out but were too expensive
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 11:27:04 am »

Here is the original 44 inch eagle being restored.
https://www.smallartworks.ca/Articles/Restoration/Restore1.html

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 11:35:11 am »

For those interested in Space 1999 Big Finish Productions have started an audio range of ‘rebooted’ stories based on the original series but being a bit more scientific realistic. The first story is now available based on the original first episode ‘Breakaway’...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98vKPYIslw

I have an Eagle some where at home too that needs finishing.
The second audiobook is being recorded as we speak.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 11:39:22 am »

I also printed a S.H.A.D.O. Interceptor, I know its mixing models from different series but it looks consistent with the fictional spacecraft of the era.
I always liked Joe 90s car, weird enough to stand out and plausible as a road vehicle. Dunno about the BIG RAT, (Brain Impulse Galvanoscope Record And Transfer) I remembered that without having to look it up, so my brain must be working ok. Lol
I think Elon Musk must have seen that when he was a kid!

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 11:42:32 am »

Here are the interceptor and Joe 90s car

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 11:45:01 am »

And BIG RAT, an egg whisk for yer brain... 🐭

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 12:09:34 pm »

I'd like to see Supercar again for old times sake, and Fireball XL5.  My wife bought me a metal model of XL5 many years ago, never opened it, might be worth something in my grandson's time.I also liked Buck Rogers, if only to see Colonel Deering in a skin tight suit.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 01:18:34 pm »

I also liked Buck Rogers, if only to see Colonel Deering in a skin tight suit.

That's the whole point of Buck Rogers - Wilma, along with all the other fit totty prancing around in either next to nothing or the lycra outfits - it was effectively Baywatch In Space!    The target audience was 15 year old boys!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 01:32:23 pm »

The moonbase ladies in UFO also had a  certain appeal!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »

That's the whole point of Buck Rogers - Wilma, along with all the other fit totty prancing around in either next to nothing or the lycra outfits - it was effectively Baywatch In Space!    The target audience was 15 year old boys!

Ah Yes but 1999 did have Maya   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:   ( Catherine Schell )

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 02:19:31 pm »

At about the same time as Fireball XL5 there was a competitor series that wasn't as good. I seem to remember that the spacecraft looked more like a kids gyroscope but little more about it. Does anyone else remember the series?

As soon as I clicked "save" I remembered the name "Space Patrol"

A little searching has shown me that there was a US show with the same name. Mine was British & the Captain had a beard!

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 03:55:13 pm »

I also had a plastic XL5 which when catapulted into the air would release a parachute and allegedly float to the ground........yeah right!!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.