Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Tom Moore passed away  (Read 1218 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Sir Tom Moore passed away
« on: February 02, 2021, 07:09:33 pm »

Just heard on the news of Sir Tom Moore passing what a grand gentleman raising money for your guys NHS .Sir we salute you..........tassie48

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sir Tom Moore passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »

Yes I second that, and what a legacy he left us,  RIP Sir Tom.

Joe.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 06:14:02 pm »

Yes I totally agree, what a guy, the incentive  he gave to others, and the legacy he left. RIP Sir Tom.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 06:36:15 pm »

A Gentleman in the finest sense and no doubt he will be properly commemorated in due course.

I wasn't too impressed with the idea of having a 'clap' for him tonight. it is not something his generation would have understood or appreciated and I wonder if his family was consulted. Boris Johnson seems to have appropriated the idea from a suggestion in the Daily Express and perhaps seen it as a photo opportunity.

Personally I think 'claps' have rather run their course. The idea was fine last year when the virus initially hit but I think it ran out of steam after a while when we realised we were in for the long haul and it didn't help NHS staff much in practical terms who would have preferred (and deserved) rather more tangible recognition.

And what next? When the Queen eventually passes on are we all going to be exhorted to stand on our doorsteps and clap for 'Her Maj'? 'A good innings Ma'am, well done!' I hope not.

I wouldn't want a round of applause at my funeral (even if it was deserved - Byee!)

Colin

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 06:46:50 pm »

Sir Tom a giant of a man spread hope and joy through out the world by walking for hope. If only we all could give a little more of our selves' wouldn't that make a little difference. A life well lived He will be missed. Instead of clapping put your hand on your heart.
Rick   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 06:51:40 pm »

Sir Tom a giant of a man spread hope and joy through out the world by walking for hope.

In many ways not a giant but in every way an example to us all.

Colin

RST

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:59:54 am »

I'm in a bit of a moral dilema on this one.

I'm fending off comments about the family holiday in Barbados in December and noting not much media coverage on this, I can't defend "one rule for one, one rule for us" when my family is all sticking to the legal and moral rules -and we raised many, many thousands of pounds before in charity.  Is it OK to travel if you raise enough money?  I guess you enter the "elite" category.

Notwithstanding, very sad to hear of his passing -especially by Co-Vid.

I've probably been in hospital(s) with my Mother more times the last 6 weeks than my 42 years on this planet so far.  I can assure you everyone we meet in Hospital doesn't want or ever wanted "clapping" over the last 6 months, they just want everyone to stick to the rules.

The buck rests with Boris and Rishi -this gentleman representes so much and he managed to contribute so much in his lifetime.  People like this make me even more appreciative and proud to be British (I was born and live north of the border).

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 09:16:24 am »

Hi all, Sir Tom was the way many Englishman are (sorry can't speak for anyone else) the ones that get respected frequently have other talents. I for one would have been pleased to work for him,
 His motor bike riding and practical skills took him from an also ran in the army to management.  Quiet ability often gets overlooked in todays society.  I am sure he could have given sound advice but only if asked and his quiet confidence and optimism for the future was a joy to behold.  Many people must have relied on this in his lifetime perhaps without realising it.

There are many "Sir Toms" around I am sure you know a few without realising it.  How often at a colleague's funeral have we found out all the past achievements that were not known about.  Winning is fine but unless there is a dedicated group of competitors of little account.  I put 'achievement' in a different category.

We used to have a minute's silence at the passing of a club member, but I changed that some years ago by recalling his life and his abilities and then a round of applause.  More in the vein of "We are going to miss you".

Well done all the 'Sir Toms' in this world, it has been nice to know this particular one a bit better than most.
Regards
Roy

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.