Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: RV Nord Icelandia  (Read 61800 times)

farrow

Re: MV Nord Icelandia
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2009, 11:39:51 pm »

Hi Ghost,
Have been reading some of the comments.
Well 1. Riding lights /anchor lights , vessels under 50m one forward all round not lower than 15ft off the deck. Over 50m a second light all round is fitted and it must be lower than the forward light.
2. Your intended markings for the stern is correct, although it is not compulsory on the bridge top. I do not have access to an IMO code book But I believe there is a number in the beginning for the country of reg like phone numbers have.
3. Special operation lights would probably be okay for towing a sonar. When I was on trial ships in the past we only put on special op lights for towing noise makers several hundred yards astern of us.
4. Towing lights are compulsory if you are towing something on the surface, some such as large fresh water bags have a special light on the tow, used to be seem quite regular in the Med.
Apart from that mate do not get to fret up over details mate, just enjoy your model, I think you are doing great. One way of looking at it is too much detail leads to more broken bits when you run her and at the end of the day when she is over 3foot out in the pond who will see them. People like you give me encouragement as I am lousy with my hands, I am half way through with a half scale PAS tug Energetic, but I expect the rivet counters will pull it apart, but that is live who cares, your boat looks great mate.
David

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MV Nord Icelandia
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2009, 11:54:37 pm »

Hi Ghost,
Have been reading some of the comments.
Well 1. Riding lights /anchor lights , vessels under 50m one forward all round not lower than 15ft off the deck. Over 50m a second light all round is fitted and it must be lower than the forward light.
secondary anchor light now in place, just need for another ball point pen to run out of ink for the one atop the main mast

2. Your intended markings for the stern is correct, although it is not compulsory on the bridge top. I do not have access to an IMO code book But I believe there is a number in the beginning for the country of reg like phone numbers have.
thanks, I was planning on having her IMO as a date code if i couldnt find out what country code was for the USA

3. Special operation lights would probably be okay for towing a sonar. When I was on trial ships in the past we only put on special op lights for towing noise makers several hundred yards astern of us.
4. Towing lights are compulsory if you are towing something on the surface, some such as large fresh water bags have a special light on the tow, used to be seem quite regular in the Med.
as she's a sub surface tow, she's probably ok then with what she is showing already

Apart from that mate do not get to fret up over details mate, just enjoy your model, I think you are doing great. One way of looking at it is too much detail leads to more broken bits when you run her and at the end of the day when she is over 3foot out in the pond who will see them. People like you give me encouragement as I am lousy with my hands, I am half way through with a half scale PAS tug Energetic, but I expect the rivet counters will pull it apart, but that is live who cares, your boat looks great mate.
David
as for being pulled apart by rivet counters, I am trying to prevent this with Nord Icelandia, and gemini i have had so far out she's run aground on the far side of the lake! wont do that with nord icelandia though but I do want her to be a good model when it comes to being on a display stand, she may never be a competition boat but seeing boats at epic and blackpool, My models have been somewhat poorly presented.  Nordie may not address that but at least i've had a go.  but if i win a prize, its good, if i dont, do i care, nah not really
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RV Nord Icelandia
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

Mark,
There would be at least 1 floodlight illuminating the fwd deck and anchor winch.

Bob
like this ?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:53 pm »

well the signal lines are in place, ball diamond ball flying off one side, curtesy flag off the other side.

to ensure all round, as its signals are behind the mast, I may add a seccond ball diamond ball on the fore mast if that would be legal to do so in the maritime world.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2009, 09:41:51 pm »

mushroom vents on the bow now :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2009, 07:35:47 pm »

bulwark supports done :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2009, 11:57:41 pm »

since the pics above were taken, the entire front deck was done, all the way to the step-frame of the hull.  the lower set now awaits me.  Again this isn't a big deal, and will take an hour or two to complete.  after that they will be painted.

once they are painted, then apart from the installation of a few more deck space vents, fitting of the life belts for man overboard, a few more lockers behind the bridge and phase 2 lights, she will, ( think) be completeish

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:34 pm »

front support braces now painted :D

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: February 03, 2009, 11:12:52 pm »

phase2 lights on order ready for installation :) these are going to feed of a 6v supply.  hopefully they won't be affected by using the main battery.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »

a southampton.  missing a few bits but has proved to be a good boat in tug towing

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »

phase2 lights will be here soon, and it is to be split, with 4 spot lights shining forwards. to do this, i will be using the channel 5 of my radio, normally used to function retracts.  having ordered a p69 off Action, I tried to do the testing of the unit in my yacht and found it didn't work.

"oh c*ck!"

this means I now need a p43 relay like the Robbe one that i already have.  When the stuff arrives in the post I will post pictures after the install.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: February 18, 2009, 04:59:41 pm »

well this is the lights so far.  I have also ordered two more for the rear A-frame so i can wire them into the system so that when swung out, the A-frame has lights that shine on the water

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: February 18, 2009, 05:01:17 pm »

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #313 on: February 19, 2009, 06:05:42 pm »

oh dear, I have accidentally put another light on to Nord Icelandia

The long Build

« Reply #314 on: February 19, 2009, 06:23:33 pm »

I wondered why our lights dimmed for a second.. {-)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:07 pm »

there's another 2 on the way.

those will be merged into the A frame, and when I do those, I will change the choc-blocks for one single strip  to tidy up both circuits into one connection point

Stavros

« Reply #316 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »

Good God Ghost it will tip over with all those lights on it, how many more are you going to manage to put on it.it seems he is going for the world record of how many led's you can put on a boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stav

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2009, 10:24:46 pm »

there's 2 more for the A-frame to go on, and one left to go somewhere.  not sure where but I'll find a home for it (probably)

Stavros

« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2009, 11:10:46 pm »

OH NO NOT MORE ;)

Stav

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2009, 11:15:52 pm »

yes MORE LED's thanks to your friend Ian down the road in bethesda!

oh as regards stability, she's fine (ish) she wont be sailed on rough weather days. 

The long Build

« Reply #320 on: February 19, 2009, 11:17:57 pm »

OH NO NOT MORE ;)

Stav

Don't think you will need any lights this year at LLanberis  8)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: February 19, 2009, 11:22:22 pm »

just thank god that I didn't add 1watt LED's in the search lights :D and you thaught the current ones are bright, thre 1w ones are 20x BRIGHTER

Stavros

« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »

Ghost I dont htink that any of our extension leads are long enough to reach to supply you wiht enough voltage to power all those Led's maybee you should have a word with Scotish Power

Stav

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2009, 11:46:25 pm »

surely i could tap into dinorwic?

when I rearrange the connections under the deck, I may see if i can get to the magic 50, Im gonna get Component shop to do me a 6v nicad pack to take some weight out so i can readjust it to lift the nose up about 1/10th of an inch, that way I can add lead plates to the base of the hull, and that will get the same weight lower down, as the gel cell still has a relatively high cg
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.