Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exposed Rudder/Tiller Ideas For Scale Sail  (Read 1082 times)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Exposed Rudder/Tiller Ideas For Scale Sail
« on: March 26, 2022, 08:03:45 am »

Howdy folks,

Am about to begin on a 1/12 Galway hooker with exposed tiller & want it to look as scale as possible. I hate the look of a horn & linkage sticking out of the stern so wanted to ask if anyone who has been down this path before to share any tips or photos on how you did your linkage?

I'd love an animated figure working the tiller arm but don't see how I can execute enough movement to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Exposed Rudder/Tiller Ideas For Scale Sail
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 09:34:27 am »

Evening Chuck.......not really sure what a Galway Hooker is, with the sternpost tiller hand rudder, but it is interesting for me as I am in a long time planning in how to convert a near fully built steam hull into an early Thames Sailing Barge with tiller rudder,.....[not wheel]

The real issue I have is to achieve the desired angle of rudder blade, requires the tiller arm by its length of the hand holding position is over the side of the vessel, hence the Helmsman is in trouble or facing the stern

I have considered a 2:1 increase by chain drive from the servo vertical drive to the rudder post, this way to achieve the same rudder angle only requires the Helmsman arc of movement on the stern 1/4 deck to move literally 1/2 the distance

Is this an example of the Galway Hooker rudder, sternpost & tiller?

[I think our Member Bernhard, has built a number of steamers with the Helmsman in control of the tiller arm] 

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Exposed Rudder/Tiller Ideas For Scale Sail
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 10:00:22 pm »

Evening Derek & many thanks for your reply. Yes, that appears to be a Galway hooker. 

For reference, the excellent Tradboats.ie site contains an array of Irish boats including the Calway & Kinsale hookers with photos and plans.

http://www.tradboats.ie/projects/west/typical-galway-hooker/constructionplan.pdf
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.