Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steam power  (Read 1237 times)

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
steam power
« on: February 06, 2021, 02:56:01 pm »

Hi All

I am in the process of building a Mountfleet Sir Lancelot and was thinking of powering it with my Anton Cristal steam plant but would it produce enough power to give it a respectable speed i am thinking no has it is quite a large model and with all the metal fittings it comes out heavy so looking
for second opinions has it would be nice to see her under steam.
Thanks in advance

madboats

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: steam power
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 04:01:18 pm »

Hi madboats I think its a great idea to steam power any boat thats suitable it just adds that little something extra.  I don't know anything about Mountfleets models but I'm sure someone will be along to advise you in a bit.

Anton make beautiful steam plants and engines and I was going to use his products in my last build.  However all of Anton's fittings are metric and all of the parts like valves and connectors sold in the UK are imperial.  This means that you would need to convert things to fit the plant or buy pretty much everything from Anton.

Personally I would buy a UK made boiler, gas tank and separator and then only use the Anton engine.  This would need far less conversion and you would then easily be able to get all of the parts that you need in the UK.  I would recommend Nigel at Pendle boilers for the boiler, gas tank and separator and Jerry at Clevedon steam for all of your fittings.  They both provide a great service with fantastic back up right here in the UK.  Then fit a lovely Anton engine onto that.  Another bonus would be that you will get the required test certificates which Anton as far as I know do not supply as they are not required in France. 

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 01:06:22 pm »

Hi Mark
Thanks for your sound advice. I think i should have mentioned that i have had the engine some 14 years now when i bought it from Martin Howes & Baylis along with there Topaz Windermere launch plus there boiler gas tank and condenser. All have given trouble free service till i installed it in my newly built River Queen, To cut along story short i got in touch with Martin who offered help so i sent him the engine ect i have to say he has done a fantastic job the engine runs like new it was all down to a faulty pressure valve. Look forward like us all to getting back on the water.

Regards madboats

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 05:03:08 pm »

A word of warning.

If you do a bit of Googling on the model you will see that there are reports that it is a bit top heavy and can be unstable. This may be down to the hull shape and the many heavy white metal fittings.

It follows that the propulsion weight should be kept as low down as possible, not too difficult with an electric power plant but it might pose problems with a steam plant which will have a much higher centre of gravity.

Maybe someone who has recently built the model could comment on the practicalities.

Colin

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 05:19:50 pm »

Hello Madboat.
Maybe I can share my own experience with you.
There is two Cristal engines : the 3,1 cc and the 4,5 cc.
They both are very good and powerful engine. The 3,1 cc fits perfectly the Topaz which wheight is less than 5 kg for a narrow 110 cm hull.
I must say that My Anton 6.7 cc Topaze  engine drives a 13 mm 3x blades prop in a  27 kg tug. This , to say that Anton engine develops a good torque.
The Lancelot is given for 23 kg and 140 cm. O0
https://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/downloads/sirlancelot_mm_07-04.pdf
I am afraid that the Cristal is a bit short for such a model.

I have build the Boston Typhoon whis is about the same size.
First of all I have thrown away almost all of the metal parts. They are heavy and a kind of coarse. That’s a lot of weight in the height too.
My boat weights 20 kg when I have  added the dead weight in the boat hold to keep her in line.
But I had to install a +/- 9cc   PM Research engine to be confortable. The propeller is a 3 blades / 70 mm cheap Rivabo  but it deserves a better prop to add more power.
Below is the link where you can see more.
https://modelismenavalradioc.forumactif.com/t1200-boston-typhoon-de-kbio?highlight=boston+typhoon

I hope its help. I'll be glad to follow your  build ! :-))
Regards.

ps: for your information, ANTON does not supply boilers anymore.

Lotus7

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:50 pm »

Have you picked an engine yet ?
George

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 08:26:39 pm »

Thank you all to replies to my post re steam power sorry for late reply

Hi Colin
 I have read some way the problem with weight and stability must admit didn't think about the boiler could make things worse i think that weight will be the deciding factor the engine will not have the
enough power
Regards madboats[size=78%] [/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.