Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extracting the Michael  (Read 2341 times)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Extracting the Michael
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 02:09:26 pm »

I wonder what I would pay Hyundai for changing my diesel cars air filter and pollen filter?
I did both in 7 minutes and the parts cost £25.

John

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 05:11:18 pm »

I have to agree the "no soul bit " was what I felt but now recognise now it has been expressed, the horrible wail from the Formula E cars is a total turn off . I might change the daily SUV workhorse for a Duracell job in the coming years but the 3 series petrol Beemer is staying as the family pet.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 07:19:38 pm »

I once had the electrical connector to the ecu fail, water got in and corroded it, I enquired at the local volvo garage to be told it would cost me £800 for the connector to be replaced, so I ordered just the new connector - £40, the labour was for 2 mechanics for 4 hours, I did it slowly one wire at a time soldering the connections on the 40 pin plug, it took me 2 hours solid, going very carefully and double and triple checking every step. the solution to stopping the water that was leaking round the windscreen and running through the ecu, puddling in the connector, was a zip lock bag, purt over the ecu with the opening facing downward, it didnt stop the leak, but it stopped the engine cutting out.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 09:19:26 am »

It's definitely not the sound of racing but if the wail of FormulaE puts you off, listen to the silence of the Andros Cup Ice Racing that's sometimes on the Freesport channel on Freeview. Weird  {:-{

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 11:22:40 am »

I went to the Red Marley hill climb a few years ago to watch the motorbikes. There was a demonstration of electric motor bikes. They climbed the hill alright but without any exhaust noise there just wasn't any sense of drama as the riders struggled over the hard sections, hardly anyone was watching them.

It will be funny in the future (not that I will be around!) that like steam trains the only sound of internal combustion engines will be those of a few enthusiasts and certain preservation societies etc.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 12:13:37 pm »

The news recently showed a segment which was trying to promote the E rally cars that Hamilton and co are now have teams in, doing a rally course in extreme weather climates to bring environment issues to the fore - hold on - dont race electric cars in an area that is seeing damage done in the world by money grabbing idiots who are by their actions are damaging these eco systems - duh
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2021, 12:52:33 pm »

doing a rally course in extreme weather climates to bring environment issues to the fore.
Exactly - rich hypocrites showing the world how much they *really* care.....

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2021, 07:40:16 pm »

They are using as their base the former mail and passenger ship St. Helena, she has been at Birkenhead being refitted for the purpose for the past two years, the refit is now complete, and she has undergone trials. She moved from Birkenhead to Liverpool yesterday. Thursday, she will depart for Saudi Arabia in the next few days. The first “race” is due to happen on the 4th March. She will then sail for Senegal, before going to the Amazon and finally Terra del Fuego apparently.
Pictures of her new colours are available on request
LB

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 12:06:28 pm »

Years ago, my boss told me to take the office car into the local main dealer for an annual service. It probably did about 5k a year, pottering around the harbour.

When I went to collect it, although I wasn't paying the bill, just signing for it, I almost fell through the floor - around £400. So I refused to sign it and asked for a complete breakdown of the charges. They grudgingly printed it off and I went through it. What I found was shocking. Example - "tightening loose battery connection - minimum labour charge, 15 minutes". "tightening loose wheel nut - minimum labour charge, 15 minutes". "changing offside indicator repeater bulb [/size]- minimum labour charge, 15 minutes". And so it went on, there were around a dozen of these, so they were attempting to charge 3 hours labour for maybe 15 minutes' work. And then 'changing engine oil and filter'. I asked to see the old filter, they couldn't find it. I did - still there on the car.
[/size]
[/size]With a little (loud) complaining to the manager at the desk (in earshot of the queue behind me) the will was halved.
[/size]
[/size]I've never been to a main dealer since then, apart from one company car on a service plan, and that was mileage based. My independent garage is run by a friend of almost 40 years who was my nextdoor neighbour for 30 of those. If he says something needs doing, I get it done. If says don't bother, he means it and knows what he's talking about,
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.