Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cardstock: What is "Cardstock"?  (Read 1428 times)

rayl

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Cardstock: What is "Cardstock"?
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:43:59 pm »

I have seen the term "Cardstock" used often, but what is really?  Is it sheet styrene(?), Strathmore board(?), cardboard?  Enquiring minds want to know.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Cardstock: What is "Cardstock"?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:49:46 pm »

Don't Assume Check

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:21:13 am »

Or cornflake packets if you're pragmatic about boats! ;)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 10:28:19 am »

Frosties or Crunchy Nut boxes have the strongest card I've found ( used them a lot in building wargames terrain and the odd vehicle or 4... )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 04:58:44 pm »

Frosties or Crunchy Nut boxes have the strongest card I've found ( used them a lot in building wargames terrain and the odd vehicle or 4... )
You just like these more than other cereals!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

rayl

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 08:51:31 pm »

SO: How do you "glue" the cardstock to the hull (or whatever)?  Contact cement(?), Alipatic glue (?), 3M No 77 spray adhesive (?).   Not trying to be difficult, just want to get it right.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:59:40 am »

SO: How do you "glue" the cardstock to the hull (or whatever)?  Contact cement(?), Alipatic glue (?), 3M No 77 spray adhesive (?).   Not trying to be difficult, just want to get it right.
Depends on what you are gluing it to.  Whatever works.  Since the card is not waterproof, it will need treating with "something" to seal it against water as well as just paint, and protect against any surface scratches that ir might gather over time.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rayl

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:11 pm »

To all:  Thank you for your replies :-)) .  I'll muddle on from here.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 09:55:09 am »

Using Cereal box material I am part way through covering a Card built corvette shaped hull, the main frames being anything between 1 and 2 mm thick were made from Card that was used to be the back support for a hundred sheets of pre-printed draughting film A0 and below, the initial covering Card was that used as the back sheet of writing pads, that grey card board after the last sheet of ruled paper in the pad so usually A4 sized, the front half of the vessel is covered in Kellogs corn flake box Card, at the moment, the waxy printed side is outermost and when and if I finish it, I will have to sand this coating off so that the second coat can be applied.

I dont know what product in the US, matches what I used which here is called EVO-STICK impact adhesive, it looked more like toffee in colour and flowed like heated toffee, the latest environmentally design versions are white and are like clotted cream and I dont think they are as strong in their grip - mind you I haven't tried it out properly yet, there is the spray can type of contact adhesive that appears to be the toffee style but sprayable and is very good on the grip side.

When I had assembled the frame and first skin etc I also coated the outside and inside with cascamite glue (I believe ground up horse bone), it was a white powder mixed with water and brushed on, I believe it is good for sealing wood joints and waterproofing porous surfaces, hence why I used the toffee style impact adhesive - to make sure it grabbed the sealed surface.

When I see Card stock I usually take it to mean Paper based, though I now consider it means materials like plasticard / ABS / styrene as they usually have flat sheet materials, never tried super glue varieties on these, always the small Brown bottle liquid whose name escapes me, but it melts the surface to allow it to be 'welded' (a brand was called plastiweld) or the glue for plastic soil and water pipes used by plumbers.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 10:25:58 am »

Cascamite/Extramite is resin based and you can still buy it. It is OK for sealing surfaces but I think there ae better methods. Glynn Guest uses dope which penetrates the card. Sanding sealer is also a good bet.

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 10:45:03 am »

Hello Rayi,
 It look up on here my half build SD14 you will see how I have used card  and plastic.
                Regards Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.