Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walton 2642 HSL  (Read 1060 times)

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Walton 2642 HSL
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:20:31 pm »

I have recently picked up a rather battle worn 1/24th scale model of this RAF launch.  I know there was a post about this vessel here some years ago, but I would like to mask if anyone has any pics of real boat or model that shows the arrangement of deck fittings etc.  The old post made reference to there being now cowls upon the deck, this model has been fitted with several, so I would like to get some degree of authenticity with your help.  Thanks in advance.
If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Walton 2642 HSL
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:36:12 pm »

Hi manofkent

It was probably a post by myself- in reality there are only about three decent photos of the real 2642 and one colourised advert from the Walton Yacht Works company.
The original modelling plan from the 1950s/60s have added detail which is inaccurate with reference to spurious cowl vents on the fore and aft decks. I’ll fetch out the photos and upload them to this thread for you.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 12:43:57 pm »

These are from the rafboats.co.uk website and probably the most well known pictures of HSL 2642. I’ll get the other ones from my RAF Marine Craft Directory Volume 1 for the photo along side a harbour, and I’ll hunt for the colourised advert I have somewhere!
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 01:09:02 pm »

This is one of the few models I’ve seen- this is at Flixton (Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum) in their Air Sea Rescue Section. The colours are rather suspect as is the big identification star.
Nick B

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 01:38:21 pm »

I had already managed to track down the three B&W pics but the colour is grand, thank you.  Certainly gives me something to work on.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 01:40:40 pm »

From the RAF Marine Craft Directory Vol 1 and Addendum Vol 1. The last photo is of the uncoloured advert from The Aeroplane magazine 1943.
Nick B

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 01:45:07 pm »

That's champion.  Thanks again.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 01:50:32 pm »

No problem :-))
Just found the colourised version!
Nick B

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 05:47:03 pm »

Hi all, I feel like I have been here before, was there a recent thread on this boat?

Things I picked up included also in a personal letter from John Lambert when I contacted him about the boat.
The boat was only ever used for training and was stationed at an Island in Scotland.

There is a plan available from Sarik I think MM 101 or certainly very low down.  These plans are pre-Model Maker magazine and were published originally by Drysdale Drawings (Drysdale Press) at 15/- (fifteen shillings) in 1950.  That was quite a lot of money then!

I don't think the guns were ever either fitted or used.
Thw prototype is a twin screw craft but the scheduled engines from Perkins went down in the Atlantic when the transport ship was sunk.  Other less powerful engines were fitted and she was judged as not being fast enough for active service.  The plans are for a single screw. 

There is a review of the boat in Yachting Monthly in 1944 with lots of detail on rudder control, I have some rather poor photocopies somewhere.
There is a book with all of these plans in called "The Model Boat Book" edited by GH Deason. First printed in 1949 it is worthwhile obtaining a copy as it is a good read and covers several subjects including sail and an early Jetex 50 model hydroplane.  Expect to pay £12 or so.

These were the days of "The Model Mechanic" magazine later absorbed into Model Maker magazine which spawned Model Boats magazine.  Pictures in the book show the Walton on Thames boat with the number 1258.

She is an elegant boat and looks quite different and has a character of her own, I started the build but only got as far as the frames mounted on the keel.  I stopped when I found out she was twin screwed.
Good luck with your find, I would not mind doing up one of those myself.
Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 06:31:16 pm »

Hi Roy

Quite possibly, I know that I’m one of the few who with my Dad have built a model of the 2642. We went for a large scale -1/12th- producing quite a big model! We managed to source some plans of the original boat (God only knows in which plans section of my room they are in!) and according to sources in the RAF Marine Craft Directory Vol 1 the 2642 was the prototype from Walton to compete against the British Power Boat Co RTTL design. As you say- initially a prototype, then a training boat, and then sold out of service and was last heard of in Gibraltar in the 1960s.
We still haven’t made the gun turrets yet and we originally made this model back in 2004/5! The motors are from a Vauxhall cavalier heater system and when the SLA batteries are fully charged she does semi plane but she does weigh close to 30lbs!
Nick B

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 09:41:19 am »

My take on the Walton.
Built over 25 years ago from a photograph, I used an old MTB hull that I had lying around.
It lay in storage for the last 20 or so years so I gave it a bit of a freshen up and put it back on the water last autumn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.