Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Starbaby pdf  (Read 269 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Vic Smeed Starbaby pdf
« on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:43 pm »

I was wondering if anyone had the Starbaby plan as a pdf? I am hoping to build it to a different size so a paper plan wouldnt be much help. I was also interested in Vic's Panache design for a future build as well

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vic Smeed Starbaby pdf
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:02 pm »

The Panache is a super little boat and sails well. Absolutely love mine and my 2 Starlets

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 12:16:26 am »

Lovely boat. I have built 2 Starlets as well.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:32:10 pm »

Hi, I put this post on yesterday, looking for a pdf of the Vic Smeed Star Baby, trouble is I got mixed up with the plan names, it was actually the Water Baby plan I was meaning, I have a picture of a part of the plan but it doesnt show all the information I need to start building. I eventually found a better picture of the plan.
 I then found that there was another Vic Smeed design more suited to my needs, namely the Dabchick, if anyone has a scan of this plan, I would be very grateful. I am still trying to decide which particular model I am going to build, I will decide once I have seen a Dabchick plan.
 Has anyone built a Dabchick? I would be interested in seeing photos.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:35:58 pm »

Sarik still sell Dabchick and Waterbaby plans, if that is any help

Dabchick MM1024 - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:44:59 pm »

Hi, I was looking for a pdf/scan of the plan as I am going to build it at a smaller size, a full size paper plan isnt really suited to my intended build. I got a usable drawing of the Waterbaby but I liked the looks/construction of the Dabchick better

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:18 pm »

After a good few hours of searching, I eventualy managed to find a plan for the Dabchick. If I decide to build it, I will start a  build thread if anyone is interested.

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 12:31:54 pm »

After a good few hours of searching, I eventualy managed to find a plan for the Dabchick. If I decide to build it, I will start a  build thread if anyone is interested.

Hi, can you share the plans you found, please?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:21:02 pm »

Hi, here is the drawing I found for the Waterbaby. The Dabchick plan is a PDF, so it would need to be emailed to you, send me a message with your email and I will send you it.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 01:40:53 pm »

Hi Andy I built a Dabchick when the plan came out in summer 1963.  It sails fine and I practiced on a hand sewing machine to make the sails.  I used to sail her over the Highgate yachting pond in NW London.

I made the model to take my mind off getting married in the August of that year, and as the sails went well I went on to making bedroom curtains for our new flat!  They fitted as well!  I think it was then that my mother in law relaxed as I was taking her baby girl away from her.  Still married seems to have been a good idea.
Roy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:32 pm »

Hi Roy, I have done a fair bit of sewing in my time too, cushion covers in fabric and leather, curtains and also sails for my Starlets, both model size and man size.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »

Any photos of your Dabchick?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 02:02:08 pm »

Sea Urchin by Vic Smeed

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 02:07:01 pm »

Hi all:

I am the admin at www.allRadioSailboats.com
You'll find good quality plans for about half of Vic Smeed designs here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/designer/victorSmeed
If you have others and want to collaborate, please don't hesitate directly adding content, or using our Contact Form

(Thanks Andrew!)

Regards,
Thomas Armstrong

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 02:18:21 pm »

Hi Andy sorry No it was long ago. 

I did fit what I thought was my own version of Vane steering, which has a 1 inch cog wheel instead of a tiller, a post to pivot the vane spaced for a smaller cog to activate the larger one, which had a light elastic band tensioner to keep the rudder straight.
 You simply lifted out the vane and re-inserted it for the wind direction. 

I have a smaller yacht which is biased to fall off the wind and the vane keeps her heading as close to the wind as pos and she goes well.

With a small yacht I would not bother with a sail winch, but if you do try a metal gear 5 Kgrm cheap servo, that should do the job, may have to double up the sheet travel with a pulley.
Regards
Roy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 04:27:40 pm »

Here is a rough sketch I did of a Starlet from memory, I had a pdf of it but when I shrunk the image to the size I wanted, the lines became very fuzzy for some reason, so I was not able to trace it. I have since found a better pdf of it so I will be able to trace it properly soon.
 My sketch shows me what I needed to find out, if radio gear would fit in such a small yacht. It would be tight but possible. 9g servo looks massive but the starlet is drawn at 9 inches long, so not surprising really. I think my sketch has a narrower beam than the Starlet actually is, but I liked the look of it, I will compare it with the actual plan once I get round to tracing it.
 I am still deciding which model I want to build, do I go for something I haven't built yet or do I build my third Starlet?
 I have very limited amounts of wood of the sizes required, I have loads of scraps though and hoped I could use up some of them.
 I saw a footy class starlet someone had made with a very long keel and rudder but I wasnt that keen on changing the outline.
 I will probably trace an 11.3 inch (1/3rd scale) version for a look, it would definately make it a bit easier to get the radio gear in, and be slightly less fiddly.
 I always spend a while going over my options before starting building anyway, no rush.
 My rc Starlet had a home made winch, using a standard servo with the feedback potentiometer taken out and mounted on the side with a ball end mounted on a servo arm running in a spiral groove in a ply disc mounted under the winch drum. It worked really well, but cutting the spiral groove was a challenge to keep it really smooth so it didnt jam.
 The guy I sold the starlet to ripped it out, then messaged me for advice on a 'proper' sail winch servo? Mine worked fine, so why rip it out? Especially as it was custom built for the boat and had the exact amount of travel required already built in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up