Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Starbaby pdf  (Read 7046 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Vic Smeed Starbaby pdf
« on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:43 pm »

I was wondering if anyone had the Starbaby plan as a pdf? I am hoping to build it to a different size so a paper plan wouldnt be much help. I was also interested in Vic's Panache design for a future build as well

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vic Smeed Starbaby pdf
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:02 pm »

The Panache is a super little boat and sails well. Absolutely love mine and my 2 Starlets

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 12:16:26 am »

Lovely boat. I have built 2 Starlets as well.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:32:10 pm »

Hi, I put this post on yesterday, looking for a pdf of the Vic Smeed Star Baby, trouble is I got mixed up with the plan names, it was actually the Water Baby plan I was meaning, I have a picture of a part of the plan but it doesnt show all the information I need to start building. I eventually found a better picture of the plan.
 I then found that there was another Vic Smeed design more suited to my needs, namely the Dabchick, if anyone has a scan of this plan, I would be very grateful. I am still trying to decide which particular model I am going to build, I will decide once I have seen a Dabchick plan.
 Has anyone built a Dabchick? I would be interested in seeing photos.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:35:58 pm »

Sarik still sell Dabchick and Waterbaby plans, if that is any help

Dabchick MM1024 - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:44:59 pm »

Hi, I was looking for a pdf/scan of the plan as I am going to build it at a smaller size, a full size paper plan isnt really suited to my intended build. I got a usable drawing of the Waterbaby but I liked the looks/construction of the Dabchick better

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:18 pm »

After a good few hours of searching, I eventualy managed to find a plan for the Dabchick. If I decide to build it, I will start a  build thread if anyone is interested.

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 12:31:54 pm »

After a good few hours of searching, I eventualy managed to find a plan for the Dabchick. If I decide to build it, I will start a  build thread if anyone is interested.

Hi, can you share the plans you found, please?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:21:02 pm »

Hi, here is the drawing I found for the Waterbaby. The Dabchick plan is a PDF, so it would need to be emailed to you, send me a message with your email and I will send you it.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 01:40:53 pm »

Hi Andy I built a Dabchick when the plan came out in summer 1963.  It sails fine and I practiced on a hand sewing machine to make the sails.  I used to sail her over the Highgate yachting pond in NW London.

I made the model to take my mind off getting married in the August of that year, and as the sails went well I went on to making bedroom curtains for our new flat!  They fitted as well!  I think it was then that my mother in law relaxed as I was taking her baby girl away from her.  Still married seems to have been a good idea.
Roy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:32 pm »

Hi Roy, I have done a fair bit of sewing in my time too, cushion covers in fabric and leather, curtains and also sails for my Starlets, both model size and man size.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »

Any photos of your Dabchick?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 02:02:08 pm »

Sea Urchin by Vic Smeed

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 02:07:01 pm »

Hi all:

I am the admin at www.allRadioSailboats.com
You'll find good quality plans for about half of Vic Smeed designs here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/designer/victorSmeed
If you have others and want to collaborate, please don't hesitate directly adding content, or using our Contact Form

(Thanks Andrew!)

Regards,
Thomas Armstrong

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 02:18:21 pm »

Hi Andy sorry No it was long ago. 

I did fit what I thought was my own version of Vane steering, which has a 1 inch cog wheel instead of a tiller, a post to pivot the vane spaced for a smaller cog to activate the larger one, which had a light elastic band tensioner to keep the rudder straight.
 You simply lifted out the vane and re-inserted it for the wind direction. 

I have a smaller yacht which is biased to fall off the wind and the vane keeps her heading as close to the wind as pos and she goes well.

With a small yacht I would not bother with a sail winch, but if you do try a metal gear 5 Kgrm cheap servo, that should do the job, may have to double up the sheet travel with a pulley.
Regards
Roy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 04:27:40 pm »

Here is a rough sketch I did of a Starlet from memory, I had a pdf of it but when I shrunk the image to the size I wanted, the lines became very fuzzy for some reason, so I was not able to trace it. I have since found a better pdf of it so I will be able to trace it properly soon.
 My sketch shows me what I needed to find out, if radio gear would fit in such a small yacht. It would be tight but possible. 9g servo looks massive but the starlet is drawn at 9 inches long, so not surprising really. I think my sketch has a narrower beam than the Starlet actually is, but I liked the look of it, I will compare it with the actual plan once I get round to tracing it.
 I am still deciding which model I want to build, do I go for something I haven't built yet or do I build my third Starlet?
 I have very limited amounts of wood of the sizes required, I have loads of scraps though and hoped I could use up some of them.
 I saw a footy class starlet someone had made with a very long keel and rudder but I wasnt that keen on changing the outline.
 I will probably trace an 11.3 inch (1/3rd scale) version for a look, it would definately make it a bit easier to get the radio gear in, and be slightly less fiddly.
 I always spend a while going over my options before starting building anyway, no rush.
 My rc Starlet had a home made winch, using a standard servo with the feedback potentiometer taken out and mounted on the side with a ball end mounted on a servo arm running in a spiral groove in a ply disc mounted under the winch drum. It worked really well, but cutting the spiral groove was a challenge to keep it really smooth so it didnt jam.
 The guy I sold the starlet to ripped it out, then messaged me for advice on a 'proper' sail winch servo? Mine worked fine, so why rip it out? Especially as it was custom built for the boat and had the exact amount of travel required already built in.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 01:05:50 pm »

The photos show that my sketch was only a few mm out in places, not bad considering it wasnt traced. I have decided that I am going to build it at 1/3rd scale which is 11.3 inches long instead of the 9 inch version, this results in the full size version's 3/16 ply keel, fin and bulkheads being 1/16 ply on my version, this will make all the slots are correct size.
By sheer luck, I have a bit of 1/16 ply big enough for the project, but the hull skins will need to be balsa as I dont have any 1/32 or 1/64 ply big enough, I dont think I even have enough for a cabin roof. I dont imagine Vic would have minded though😁
I am looking forward to this little project, even though I have a few other projects on the go just now, theres no rule says I have to finish one before starting another. Some of my projects never get finished, I have sold a few part finished boats and they seem to get snapped up pretty quick.
Anyway, I hope to get the plan traced later today if I get time.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 01:38:42 pm »

I did think of using some of the thin alloy sheet that I used on my crawler trailer for the hull skinning, but it is just too easily dented for my liking, I don't mind it getting dented on the trailer, it will just look used.
I am still thinking of alternatives having had a look at 1/64 ply prices on ebay. The postage on even 12 x 12 inch bits is nearly as much as the ply, even though I reckon I could probably manage to skin the whole thing with one 12 x 12 bit. It would be quite close though so I would get 2 bits just to be safe. My modelling budget for this year has been spent already so I dont see me buying the required ply anytime soon.
I will draw up my plan anyway and see what happens....

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 12:43:20 pm »

I have now traced most of the bits of the Starlet that I need to from my laptop, the screen image is still a bit fuzzy at this size. I will tidy up the drawings before I make my templates. The photos show the size difference compared to my sketches of 9 inch version I was thinking of doing.
Scaling it up to 11.3 inches has definately given me much more room to work with and it will still be pretty small. Most of the other dimensions (mast height and diameter, sail sizes etc) will be calculated from the dimensions given on the plan, as these are not shown full size.
 My tracings look pretty rough but it was quite difficult to see the details accurately on the fuzzy screen view, plus the fact that my laptop screen has a certain amount of 'give' which leads to some distortion as I trace over it, it is fine on bigger drawings, but trying to draw lines to represent 1/64 skins is difficult.
Anyway, I have enough to join up with a ruler and tidy up with an eraser.
Now where did I put that bit of 1/16 ply for my keel and bulkheads..... 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 12:48:22 pm »

Will it still be a Starlet? Vic's smaller version was called Starbaby, should I rename mine?
Starsprog? Starling? Starmite? Starfoetus? Lol. Maybe Starbug. Any suggestions?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 09:58:12 pm »

Main bits drawn on my bit of 1/16 ply (which I must add came through the post rolled up into a 9 inch cylinder! I wasnt pleased, it took me an hour to get it reasonably flat, although it still has a very noticeable curve)
I am going to cut the parts out on my spiralux saw then try straightening them out some more.
Seeing the parts drawn on the ply has pointed out just how small it is going to be.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 06:19:38 pm »

Good progress yesterday, sat out in the sun cutting small bits of 1/16 ply as accurately as I could with my spiralux saw. A bit of sanding to exact sizes and cutting slots has given me the bare bones of my little Starlet,to me it looks great already 😁 but I can imagine it finished. Finding a rudder tube and shaft of small enough size is proving most difficult thing so far.
 I thought about using a 3mm carbon rod for the mast, but I really wanted a wooden mast.
 A bit of searching in the loft turned up a nice tip of one of one of my late dad's fishing rod, hexagonal split cane I think, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it will do very nicely for my mast, boom and jib.
 These have been cut to length. The I left the lower section of the mast long enough to seat in the radio plate, just above the keel, a bit different to vics set up. I dont know if I will go for my way, there is a slight chance of water coming down the mast hole. Vics version is boxed in and the mast end sits in a slotted rack on the deck piece that is inside the cabin. No water can get inside using his method, but it is purely held upright by the rigging, my version will  pass through the cabin roof, through the deck and into the radio plate for a rock solid fitting.
 Still lots of stuff I can do before I decide which way to go.
 I am really enjoying this little build, next stage was cutting the notches for chines and inwales. I am going to use some pretty hard balsa strip for these, it was too heavy for flying projects but perfect in this case. They have to curve a fair bit, I am not sure whether to soak them or not. The only bits glued in place so far are the keel doublers, these support the hull skins as they run along the fin.
 I have cut doublers for the keel where the rudder tube passes through but I still havent decided finally on the tube and rudder post I am going to use for it yet. Need to decide that before I can really go any further.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 06:28:28 pm »

Pics

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 06:04:20 pm »

Progress so far. I was still thinking of what to use for hull skins, cornflake box was considered but I didnt trust it to not go wavy, i tried a bit of the thin alloy sheet but I knew trimming it would be critical and difficult.
 I remembered a pair of blue foam wings I made at least 20 years ago! They were intended for a slope soarer but they turned out really heavy. They are 1/16 balsa covered, glued on with copydex. If I could get enough of it off, I might get enough to at least get my side skins. About an hours work on each wing with the scraper from my 3d printer and I had the nice wing skins off, with only a couple of broken bits, one leading edge sheet was enough to skin my entire boat, so I have some extra 1/16 now. The only thing is that the copydex and slight whifs of blue foam are still stuck to the back. It doesnt come off.
 I was worried this would affect my glue joints so I did a test bit and it was  solid so I skinned the bottom of the yacht. I am going to work out the radio etc before I put the sides on, to give me the best access. Looking nice so far, I have made a start on the  fittings for the mast and boom. I decided to go for the mast setup of Vic's original. In a waterproof socket rather than going through the cabin and into my radio tray as I was thinking about doing.
 I have also made up my rudder, fitted the tube and fitted mounting blocks for rudder servo. Still to sort out a tiller arm and a tiny rudder pintle. Still not sure what to do, I filed the end of the rudder shaft down so that it could have a pintle, but it would need to be 1/16 inch wide, and have some way of fixing it to the skeg. Not sure it needs it but I had sort of planned on it. See what I can come up with.
 Still got to figure out a sailwinch, probably just use a long arm on a servo, will a 9g metal geared servo be up to it, or a slightly bigger hitec hs 80. Or will it need a full size servo? There isnt much room inside, the arms wont have much room to move, plus a full size one weighs a lot too. It would be so much easier if someone made a board for marine use like the wltoys F949 aircraft board/servos. I was intending to use my flysky receiver, which is quite bulky and heavy, I dont really have anything lighter for boat use though.
 I am pleased with how it is going so far, especially as I am managing to use a few recycled parts as well. I was lucky to find the (very nice) 1/16 wing skins and get them off mostly intact. The rest of the skins can finish off a few projects. Might even get some hatches on my cargo ship. I am still thinking about that though. I want to build a crane for it too, just dont know which type to go for.
 I have been thinking about sails as well, what to use thats going to be light and wont need too much micro sewing, I decided I am going to try some vector 'board', which has no board-like tendencies when it is 0.2mm thick. I wont get anything lighter than this and I have loads of it. It has some strange patterns on a lot of the sheets so I tried to pick a semi transparent one, you will see what I mean. Still got to attach them, not sure what to do here.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 11:47:26 pm »

A bit more work on sails and rigging
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 22 queries.