Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new pillar drill  (Read 1336 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
new pillar drill
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:31:54 pm »

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FbkAAOSwVQhgLy4e/s-l64.jpg

Hi, im considering this for my tiny work shop, currently i have a dremel work station pillar drill, but it wonders when i try to drill, so hoping this would be a good bet, whats your opinion

Trucker

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: new pillar drill
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 10:10:02 pm »

For roughly the same price you could get something like this. It has far meatier bearings and looks like a stronger "Pillar"

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cdp5rb-5-speed-bench-mounted-pillar-dri/

Bob
Officially a GOG.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 09:20:58 am »

The Clarkes one from Machine Mart is certainly meaty, but needs to rearrange the belt drive under the cover to change speed.  The original posted one looks like speed change is via a switch.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 09:29:22 am »

Longevity over ease of use Malcolm.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 11:24:24 am »

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FbkAAOSwVQhgLy4e/s-l64.jpg

Hi, im considering this for my tiny work shop, currently i have a dremel work station pillar drill, but it wonders when i try to drill, so hoping this would be a good bet, whats your opinion

Trucker

Before you go throwing money around it is worth going through all the basics first.  The Dremel is a very good quality machine and should do the job well.  The big advantage of this arrangement is that the Chuck is mounted directly on the motor rotor shaft so there is relatively less loading on the bearings and no side load.  The alternative you are looking at is a similar arrangement so is also a much better set up.  The problem with remote mounted motors is side loading on the spindle bearings which invariably leads to wear on particularly the top bearing and consequent misalignement, especially if the belts are not adjusted correctly and constantly changing them to adjust speed doesn’t help.  The belts invariably rattle around causing vibration so the natural reaction is to try to over tighten them to compensate.  Don’t confuse large heavy castings with robust construction and longevity.

Make sure you eliminate all the basics with the Dremel first, all these can lead to what you describe,

1) Are you using long drills?
2) Are you using cheap drills that are frequently not ground perfectly concentrically?
3) Are you using sharp drills?

Try the following first,

1) If drilling metal centre pop the spot first and even try using a lathe centre drill first.
2) If drilling a soft material are you clearing the swarf frequently and cleaning the tip regularly during a cut?  Wood easily clogs the flutes and many plastics build up on the cutting edges, both cause misalignement.

If they do not work and you are sure that the Dremel is at fault then, if it was me, I would simply buy a new Dremel and treat it to a brand new set of high quality drills.  If you must change then go for a unit where the Chuck is mounted directly on the end of the motor rotor.

If you are using cheap poor quality drills then you will experience the same challenges with whatever new machine you buy.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 12:32:35 pm »

if its anything like the radiospares drill press (you bolt the drill into it and it works like a small pillar drill, the main problem isnt the drill its the rigidity of the press, be careful though looking at the small dedicated pillar drills if you are wanting to drill really small holes as some cant hold a drill bit less that a couple of mm

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 04:11:27 pm »

I have had the Clarks drill for now on 23 years and it has given me good service.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 05:31:26 pm »

Here's the radiospares one

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 07:50:53 pm »

Thanks to you all for your advice , to answer all the questions, yes im using small and long drill bits and to be honest cheep ones too, the material im using is ABS,  :embarrassed: , im going to try and address the problems on the dremel and see where it goes,

Trucker

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 08:54:45 pm »

Thanks to you all for your advice , to answer all the questions, yes im using small and long drill bits and to be honest cheep ones too, the material im using is ABS,  :embarrassed: , im going to try and address the problems on the dremel and see where it goes,

Trucker

ABS picks up very easily and clings to the drill bit.  Try using specific wood drills with the centralising point, cut slowly and even try a couple of possible lubricants. If that all fails buy some top quality coated tungsten drill bits and centre pop the hole first.

Good luck!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 06:35:56 am »

I have a couple of old fashioned hand drills i use for ABS, you want a very slow speed to stop the plastic melting to your drill bit, for really small holes I hold the bit in a pin vice.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 06:37:39 am »

that said I generally print my ABS parts, and if I need a hole i print it in, 0.4mm oversize as my internal holes always come in the width of the nozzle undersize.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.