Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Four Ways' cargo ship  (Read 7263 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
'Four Ways' cargo ship
« on: February 25, 2021, 09:46:31 pm »

Here is a boat I started years ago and put aside until I decided what kind of superstructure I was going to put on it. I have now decided to make it as a 1/72 scale cargo ship so that it matches my tiny tug and my Stihac Panorek subchaser.
  I made four openings the same size in the deck and made the superstructure to fit. It can be fitted on any of the four hatches, I am not sure which looks best, but I think it looks not bad in all the positions.
  I have fitted the propshaft, rudder, servo and motor mount.
 A rough calculation showed that it is going to need about 4kg of ballast.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'Four Ways' cargo ship
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 02:42:06 pm »

Aft, a bulker needs the room for hatchcovers, nemesis

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 04:04:16 pm »

Hi Nemesis, to be honest, I have no idea where I am going with this ship, I want to keep it fairly simple but would also like to add some detail as it looks pretty empty on deck. I have thought about items like anchor winch, lifeboat and some deck hatches to cover the remaining hatches, but havent decided which types.
 I have been looking at 3d printing some items but will probably scratch build them as I dont really like the layers left by 3d printing.
 I am open to suggestions as I havent built anything like this before. I was thinking about a crane of some sort as a cargo ship obviously needs to be loaded and unloaded, but it has to be quite basic as the rest of the ship isnt going to be very detailed.
 The main reason for this is that I will probably be transporting it to my local river on my pushbike with it either in a rucksack or strapped to it somehow. If this isnt possible, then it will have to be a trip to Loch Lomond in the car. I would prefer the river though as it is much closer.
 I have already spent this years modelling budget, so buying fittings isnt an option at this time but I will have a go at making anything I like the look of.

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 06:53:51 pm »

Hi Andy,

I was working for 2 vessels looking like yours in the early 80th. Both were loading trailer and lorry on the upperdeck as well as on main and lowerdeck. Upperdeck was used by ramp. Sorry, no pics available.

b.r.  Sven

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 07:02:16 pm »

Glad to know it actually looks like something, I have made it up as I went along. Can you remember names of the vessels so I can have a search online?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:54:19 pm »

Andy, if you want some detail go for hatch covers, there are some stupendous ones , sideway slides. vertitical stowage ones and the normal roller front and back ones. all look good. nemesis

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 10:29:55 pm »

Andy what about a BP tanker   used to sail into Finart in lock long on the British Argosy 115,000 toner.
                       Regards Howard.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 12:02:13 am »

Hi Howard, I had a look online and found out that at my chosen scale of 1/72, my ship is about 9 and 3/4 feet too short! A 1/72 Argosy would be nearly 13 feet long, she was a big old beast! At 1/72 scale, my 3ft ship would be 216 ft, less than 1/4 the length of the argosy.
It was interesting to see just how big these ships are/were.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 12:16:35 am »

I was actually aboard the Earl of Skye tanker, which was previously BP's British Centaur. It was supposed to be converted to a livestock carrier but ended up being scrapped.
Myself and my brother walked to the middle of the Erskine Bridge over the clyde to watch it heading downstream on its way to be scrapped in asia somewhere. I was worried it was going to hit the bridge, it was a big beast too.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 10:50:00 am »

Another couple of pics of Earl of Skye/British Centaur.

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 01:20:47 pm »

Have you considered of a coaster/bunkering tanker?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 01:53:51 pm »

I will have a look online, I havent really done much research as I made things up as I went along so I didnt really know what it was similar to. If you know what I mean.
I built/converted an rc Shell Welder from a plastic kit years ago but there was a ton of pipework, railings etc. I drew the main details at a larger scale as I fancied doing a bigger version, just need to find the drawings and have a look to see how suitable they would be. The railings on the plastic kit looked like they would be about 8 inches thick on the full size!
I reckon I would need to make a good few metres of railings for a 3 foot version. Not really up for that amount of detail.
Its a bit daunting seeing how accurate the guys on here build their models, I was going for something a bit less detailed/breakable.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 02:36:20 pm »

Shell Welder kit

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 05:02:35 pm »

Hello Andy,

names of vessels I was working for were  Rosso and Transcon both registered in Malta homeport Valetta but owner in Norway.

Sven

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 05:18:34 pm »

Hello again Andy,
 What about a nice container ship a lot easier to do two big boxes fore and aft  just stick sides on tops on top ends on the ends simple lots of room under Neath for battery's and the like. I have life boats at 1.72 scale look how I made some on my SD14 build.
              Regards Howard.   

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 05:43:59 pm »

Sven, I had a look online but couldnt find anything about them, I will keep looking though.
Howard, I will have a look at your Sd14 build.
There is no shortage of space in my boat, it could fit about 3 12v 17ah batteries inside and still have plenty room left over.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, much appreciated. I am in no rush to finish it, I have several part completed projects I can work away at while I decide what to do. All suggestions are being considered.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 06:20:09 pm »

Howard, I had a look at your SD14, what a model! Nice work. I am definately not going to end up with something as good looking as that....

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 04:49:33 pm »

Hi Andy,
was looking for infos about the vessel and found something you can have a look too:

M/S VALERIE  (1972) (faktaomfartyg.se)

page in swedish but different names of the vessel in bold letters
pics I found were about Sapokka Bay  and  Alma Llanera

Sven

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 05:43:48 pm »

I have not reported any progress on this one for a while, I have been plodding away at it slowly as ideas come into my head.
 First off were the hatch covers, I had no materials big enough to cover these, then I started using coffee stirrers on/in my Sea Rover build and decided they might be the right stuff to use on the hatches. Still want to add some detailing in places on them.
 Next to be done was the addition of over 100 matches along the inner face of the sides, above the deck. I added these for looks mainly, to break up the long bare areas. The top rails overhang these slightly and glue to them as well as the sides.
 I made a start on bridge windows, 1/32 balsa frames glued to main structure and windows cut out afterwards, I tacked the frames only at the joins so that the windows in the balsa underneath could be trimmed out more easily, then superglued the edges to bond it all together. Still got some filing to do to finish the windows off.
 I am quite happy with the way the bridge looks so far, I was originally just going to paint the windows on but I think this will look much better.
 I am thinking about an anchor winch and maybe a crane for some detail, the deck looks pretty bare. I have been looking at Ruston Bucyrus cranes for inspiration. I like the lines of them. This would be a mini project, fitted in when time allows. I will get the drawings traced off my old laptop and that will let me see what I can come up with. It would be good to have the crane working, even if it only turns, there is plenty of space inside the ship for doing this. I will see as I get further into the build.
 I am still not sure what paint scheme I am going to go for, it might be a while before I get to that stage. I have a few other projects to work on. My Sea Rover is coming along nicely, if a bit slowly. There is still a lot of varnishing and painting to do on it, so I will have time for other projects as it is drying.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 10:01:31 pm »

Andy,
 if you think the Argosy was big that was the littlest I ever sailed on  most was over 215,000 tons to to 255,000 tons spent most of my time at sea flying to Japan and the gulf so much for being a seaman lol. not many liked the VLCC,s but did not mind.
      Regards Howard.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 08:29:16 am »

The shell tanker, didnt one of the main plastic kit manufacturers do this vessel as well, like matchbox, will have to look in my plans archive (kept quite of plans though the models have gone.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 03:46:25 pm »

Hi Warspite,
 I think Revell release it but not sure.
          Regards Howard

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 05:30:26 pm »

From what I can find, the Shell Welder was a Frog kit. Not sure about any other manufacturers

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2021, 05:59:38 pm »

It turns out it has been produced by Eastern Express, novo, triang, modelcraft, ark models and frog.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 06:43:07 pm »

Andy,
 Sorry your right it was Frog.
      Regards Howard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.