Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Four Ways' cargo ship  (Read 7268 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'Four Ways' cargo ship
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 05:11:49 pm »

I was wondering if adding resistors would adversely affect the speed controller?

Skrotiz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 07:42:27 pm »

Not connected in series with the motor.
The speed controllers don't care if the motor connected have a higher resistance, it would be the same as using a lower powered motor.

But I will do some testings and measurements with my own equipment and come back with some answers/results as soon as I've had the time to test this.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 08:22:06 pm »

Thanks again, I look forward to having a slower slewing. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 11:49:46 pm »

Now the grey is on, I put the hatches, crane and wheelhouse on for a look, it won't look right till the wheelhouse is painted but it gives me an idea of how things are progressing. I was thinking of a brick red colour below the waterline, or do I leave it signal red? Not sure the gloss red goes well with matt grey hull though?
 As a little side project, I made up a couple of 1/72 scale 6 foot by 4 foot pallets, again using some of my matches and some 1/32 balsa for the planks. I might make a few more and put something on them.
 I made some H beams a while ago, made from offcuts of coffee stirrers. I thought they looked quite good so I might make some longer ones.
 I would like an anchor winch, I have seen nice ones in other posts but I dont have funds for buying one, so it would need to be scratch built.
 There are so many details/items that I would like to buy for it but I will probably have to make them or just do without them.

Skrotiz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2021, 04:59:34 pm »

It's definitely coming together nice.
I haven't had the time to test out my fix for slowing down a servo motor and honestly will probably don't have time for it this week.
But I promise to sit down with this as soon as I have time and come back with some results.
If it work as intended there will be very little modding needed to mount it to your crane.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2021, 10:22:32 pm »

I decided to try  a different speed controller for rotation motor, the same type as the other two, slowed it down a bit,  but I think the motor is going as slow as it can. I may experiment with more gears.
 I also fitted a 500mah 7.4v battery for longer running.
 I started making a proper hook for the crane, I tried cutting the bits of brass with a hacksaw then quickly changed to using my angle grinder and a 1mm cutting disc. Much much better, but easy to make mistakes.
 I had already made the pulley for it.
 Once I had cut the pieces, I sanded them on both sides and applied flux where the parts would join. I built the parts up, heated them with blowtorch and added solder where required. All the parts started moving about, floating on the solder/flux. I moved the parts back to their proper places and held them in place with a kebab stick till they cooled and set.
 Cleaning and a fair bit of filing left me with a fairly good looking hook. I put it in a rock tumbler for a couple of hours with some medium grit, this smoothed it quite nicely, I could have done it a few more hours but it is getting painted anyway.
 Having the pulley meant I had to remove my original hoist cable and fit a longer one as it takes twice as much cable to drop the same distance. I added a cable anchor loop to the boom, just behind the tip pulley.
I also did a bit more on the wheelhouse, adding some doors and portholes, stairs and some paint.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2021, 10:25:16 pm »

Forgot to add this photo

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2021, 04:01:51 pm »

I painted the hull below the waterline with 2 coats of revell matt brick red, I think it looks much better than the gloss signal red. It was good for sealing the hull and a good base for the brick red. It took about a tin and a half, about 20mls, I have used two 14ml tins of revell grey so far and about half a tin of the humbrol equivalent grey on the crane and hatch covers.
 I had masked off the waterline with pinstriping tape, try for a straighter look than my handpainted edge. Laying the pinstriping tape showed how bad my line actually was, in places, lots of places. 😁
 Anyway, removal of the tape took small bits of the grey off showing some easily repainted red showing through. The line is sharp though, well happy. It needs another coat of grey, I have a full tin and a tiny bit left.
 If its not enough paint, the shop that I got the paint from is a 45 minute motorbike ride over one of the best biking roads around here. Its called the Dukes Pass if anyone fancies trying it.
Anyway, back to the ship...
 I have started drawings for a workboat/lifeboaty type craft, which will sit on deck along with my portakabin, to move about with my crane, I am also going to fit a tiny aircraft radio board in it, meaning it will be forward only, but it is only 175mm long, so shouldn't really need reverse if I am careful. Motor is 8.5mm x 20mm with tiny quadcopter prop cut down.
 Propshaft and coupling will be home made.
 The radio board has 2 servos, so one for steering and one spare. I dont know if these servos could work a microswitch, they are tiny. Steering and forward will be sufficient. The 8.5mm motor is powerful when used in micro planes, 1 to 2 foot span, so a very small boat should move ok, I can always cut the prop down a bit more if the motor gets too hot, I dont want it too fast anyway.
 The workboat is really a separate project, I am sure the ship will be launched before the workboat is ready. Once my last coat of grey is on, I can do a bath test, see how it looks. Need to remember to fit the rudder first, save any leaks. The top of the rudder tube is well above the waterline so should be fine anyway.
 Need to get some ballast weights looked out. The battery will add some weight, I will probably use my 7.4v mega pack, twelve 18650 cells, that I made for Sea Rover, should be enough for a few hours of gentle cruising.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2021, 08:24:13 am »

Have you considered making a 'BOBS' board with resistors (those more technical than me could probably design one) or if you have the skills and resources to print one for this small size, or as I did once, create a 'VERO' board switch for a servo where the disk type servo horn has two rubbing contacts and the vero board is stripped to be positive one side and negative the other with the vero board strip contacts connected to the motor, the wipers on the horn connected to the battery, this will give you forward and reverse using the servo as a switch.

In your picture the vero design would need to be different as its a half the horn on a sweep, so a piece of vero board where the contacts are alongside each other and the strips are arcs (some vero comes with an area quite wide without holes or in 3mm strips). You would need to create two strips in a arc around the centre of the servo and at dead centre split each arc so there is 4 parts, drill two holes at the end of two arcs and 1 hole in the end of the corresponding ends of the adjoining arcs, then connect with wire the opposite arcs in a cross manner under the board so the sweep of the arc does not hit these wires (as there underneath) the 2nd hole of the two strips connects wires to the motor, two pieces of brass bent into a hook shape and with a soldered wire to the battery connected to the servo horn should make contact with the vero board and switch the polarity when swept from centre left or right.

Alternatively, if the servo horn is strong enough, connect a rod to the horn, and to the other end of the rod a switch (cannot remember the designation) DPDT i.e. double pole double throw? wired with a switching crossover, the issue here is the arc of the horn versus the length of the switches movement - the shorter the switch moves the closer to the centre of the servo it has to be, unless you create another horn that switch the switch with very little travel - its hard to describe in text without sketches
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2021, 12:45:03 pm »

Hi, I have thought about a crossover switch to allow reversing of the motor, the main problem is that the servos are tiny, I doubt they could work a microswitch without burning out. A small board with wipers may be possible but super fiddly at this size. I may just make do with forward only, just need to make sure I have plenty of rudder to avoid situations that need reversing. I have only cut out the deck and keel so far so plenty of time to come up with something. 😁
 I dug my Stihac Panorek sub hunter out of storage for a look at it beside the cargo ship. It is also in 1/72 scale, (and needing finished off too) . I have a box of detail parts for it but no idea what I did with it.....
 Note my poor attempt at a crane for launching the boats. I may take it off and try improving it, wont be too hard as it is pretty bad, oversize string doesnt help. 😁
 Cargo ship has had its second coat of grey, much nicer and more waterproof looking. I have been thinking about an interior for the wheelhouse, it looks very empty. I also want stairs going down inside, and possibly some detail in the cabin below, even if it is only what can be seen down the stairwell. I have lights so may as well have something to light up.
 I was thinking of making another deck hatch, to replace the one I built the crane onto. I might leave my crane off for the actual launch in case any problems crop up. It will also lower the centre of gravity a bit by leaving it off. It is quite a bit of weight high up,  but the ship has still to have ballast fitted, about 4kg. This will sit on the flat bottom of the hull keeping the centre of gravity low. I will bath test it with the crane on and see what difference it makes.
 Still a bit to do before I can do a bath test, but getting closer.
 I can add more detailing as I get the urge, if I get the urge, that is.
I looked out my Futaba 40 mhz radio and fitted the speed control and receiver, only to find the rudder servo didnt work, I found a suitable replacement in an unfinished motorglider.
 So the radio works, pretty much ready to launch now although a bath test would be good. I could ballast it at the river, but not quite as easy as using the bath.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2021, 08:33:55 pm »

Hi, I have thought about a crossover switch to allow reversing of the motor, the main problem is that the servos are tiny, I doubt they could work a microswitch without burning out. A small board with wipers may be possible but super fiddly at this size. I may just make do with forward only, just need to make sure I have plenty of rudder to avoid situations that need reversing. I have only cut out the deck and keel so far so plenty of time to come up with something. 😁
A microswitch needs very little force to operate and even the smallest servos should switch them without burning out. Two microswitches operated by the servo horn will give you a reversing drive.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

RST

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2021, 08:48:02 pm »

I agree with JimG but the space you showed is so tight I'd question although you can get tiny microswitches whether that's right.  Personally I'd be more inclined to see if that board will drive a servo in a normal way then strip out a slightly bigger servo and either use that motor or connect your desired motor to an old servo PCB.  In my mind that seems a smaller / lighter set-up.

...sure I've watched some impressive efforts from folk sailing at the miniatur wonderland in Germany -they manage to shoe-horn things into teeny tiny spaces although they're sailing indoors, not outside I guess it might give some ideas anyway.

Rich

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2021, 10:46:54 pm »

I managed to get the ship launched tonight. It weighs just over 5 pounds with the crane fitted and my Sea Rover mega battery  but I removed the crane for the launch. I added my ballast at the river. Sailed very well, bit too much power at full throttle but not a problem. I tried it with the ballast removed, it wheelies! 😁
 I  did this for a bit of fun but it made the motor get pretty warm. I wont be using it like that again anyway.
 I still have detailing, lighting and a fix on my crane to do, but the boat is basically finished.
The no reverse problem isnt really a hold up to the workboat mini project, I can progress with the woodwork bit just now. The main reason for building the workboat was to try using the aircraft board, as I had one available.
 These little boards would be awesome with reverse, but there you go. Not much space available on this boat for switches though. Even micro switches are big at this size.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2021, 06:48:17 pm »

I have wired up my lighting now, for the lights I have fitted already. I intend to fit more.
 I have a switch and I am using 2 duracell aa cells giving 3v, I tried with 3.7 lipo but was far too bright. I may even try 2.4v ni cad pack as the lights are still too bright, I may have to cover them with something too and try and darken them a bit, see how it goes with 2.4v.
 I sorted the issue with my crane, the push fit of some parts had loosened and needed glued, I knew this would happen but was waiting to see if I had to make any modifications before it was permanently glued.
 Apart from wanting to slow the rotation motor, which I managed to do a bit, I am happy with how the crane works so shouldnt need to dismantle that section again.
  I still have an urge to make a longer boom for it as the pulleys could be swapped onto the longer boom easily, so it would only require balsa, carbon and some ply to make a bigger one , I enjoyed building the boom, it went together nicely if quite fiddly in places.
 The end result (to me, at least) looks quite impressive when built up and painted.
 Why a longer boom? I would like the crane to be able to lift from any part of the ship, at present it is a bit short of managing this.
 I have lots of projects to finish off so it might be a while before I consider the cargo ship and its crane properly finished.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2021, 01:10:17 am »

While I have been confined to my couch, I have had time to make small bits for the cargo ship, more crates, which actually take quite a long time to make, but look good, and more pallets, some cable reels, fuel drums and yet more crates. 😁 I actually found it very relaxing to make the crates and they used up balsa scraps that wouldnt usually be big enough for anything else.
 I also made a ships boat, to sit on a cradle on deck (and be lifted into the water?)
 I was going to have it rc, but decided it was too small and cramped to fit my micro board in, so I drew up a bigger version, which I have started building, it isnt much bigger than the non functioning one shown but enough to make it a bit easier to get the radio in.
 I will take photos and post them once I get it further on a bit. I have a couple of deck cradles to make too, I can build them anytime, I dont even need the rc boat to be built before I do them, I have the bulkhead templates for hull angles.
 The fuel drums were made using the metal tube from an e-cigarette in my cordless drill to cut plugs from 1/2 inch square balsa. A tidy with sandpaper produced reasonable shapes. Turned out exactly right size to fit 6 on a pallet.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2021, 10:22:10 pm »

Some detailing in the wheelhouse, a radio operators position and a loading attachment for my crane, turns out it fits my 3d printed tiger tank just nice. I had chosen the dimensions of it at random. I trimmed 2mm off the ramp piece to allow it to fit down through the hatches.
I have printed a few vehicles to go with my 1/72 cargo ship, transport for a secret mission! Lol.

I have other vessels in 1/72, my Stihac Panorek got some attention paid to it the other day, it is at the stage it needs radio gear but I dont have any spare at the moment. No rush, I can wait till I can afford another rx. I only have 2 with one in the Sea Rover and the other one is buried in the depths of my crane.
I also have my micro tug in 1/72, bit its a bit brightly coloured for my fleet.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2021, 12:57:42 am »

I have been 3d printing some 'cargo' for the ship, to go with my homemade crates, cable reels and fuel drums. I maybe got a bit carried away with this and have ended up with a fairly large assortment of 1/72 vehicles, which I am enjoying, even removing support structure is enjoyable, seeing the model as it is revealed. I have been doing lots of painting too.
I remembered I had looked at lifeboat models online a while ago, but the prices were a bit of a shock, so never bought any.
Now that I had my 3d printer back in use, I decided to look up lifeboats again and found a file for titanic's lifeboats. At 1/72 scale they looked too big for my ship, so I scaled them down to 100mm. I printed 2 and they look about the right size. I have still to look for davits? I never made provision for fitting lifeboats on the ship so no idea where they will go, or where they would go on a real ship.
Also, would they be white? I painted one in grey to match the rest of the ship and one in white. They still have to have some details added and painting finished, nice little boat projects in themselves.
 Another couple of 3d prints were a pair of anchors (which may get painted a different colour?) and some tiny ship's wheels. They turned out not bad considering my printer is set for slightly bigger prints than a 10mm steering wheel.
 My wheelhouse got one, and also the ship's boat, still have more painting to do on them, first coat is pretty light.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2021, 10:27:13 pm »

A few more 3d printed bits for the ship, a winch for either end and some bollards for along the sides, I dont know, where should they be?
I haven't glued anything on yet. Will need to do more research. (Look on google). Also made a little tractor for moving pallets about, I just have to make up tiny forks for the back.
I tried my lifeboats in about the only bit they could go, just need some davits, very simple ones if anyone has any tips?
I looked to see if I could find any 3d printable ones but not found any yet. My deck looks a bit cluttered just now but I was thinking about doing an open hatch with some of my cargo stowed below.
 I went a bit wild printing WW2 vehicles as cargo, I probably have enough for a convoy up to my shed. 😁
I did enjoy printing them, and starting to paint them, I have a base coat of paint on most of them, and they are in various stages of getting wheels or tracks painted, I am not good at realistic painting/weathering, so its just basic colours just now, I might get experimental, I have loads of them.
 I have a roll of 3d filament that was from a sealed pack, I had printed half a small tank then the filament broke, not a huge problem if you know and can change it before it runs out.
On inspection, though, it turned out that the whole roll is separate pieces, most just c shaped bits, 8 inches long and no use, a few coils at a couple of metres, enough for a 1/72 bren gun carrier. 🙁 I have loads of them now, just to use up the broken bits. I did have about 3 or 4 longer bits, maybe 10 to 20 coils on each, they did slightly bigger items. Very annoying though, its all supposed to be one bit! 🙁 Thats what I get for buying 2 rolls cheap off my friend. He has 6 rolls left, so I dont feel too bad, I imagine some of his must be same way. My second roll has breaks too, but not so many. Still annoying, maybe even enough to end up just binning it! Dunno tho😁

RST

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2021, 09:29:45 pm »

Hi Andy,
I feel your pain on filament running out / breaking.  I started a print last week I thought I would have just enough to finish and feel proud I used a full spool.  Print went to 97.something% then ran out after something like 9hrs during the night -no chance to correct it and the parts unprinted were just silly small!  Had to print again!!!

Heed the advice out there, cheap filament is usually cheap for a reason.  The difference between a £17 spool and a £21 spool from a reputable supplier can be night and day.  It's all a bit of a learning curve.  Depends what quality you want from it also.

For the davits there was a good article in Model Boats magazine last month -I'd never seen some of the compact types before.

For the winch and bollards I think you just have to look at some full-scale prototypes and think how they're laid out and imagine the same on yours.

That tractor looks prety decent for a small FDM print though!  As do the lifeboats, actually thats quite impressive for the lifeboats.  I can't get things to print that well.

Rich

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2021, 12:42:36 am »

Andy...

I am sure it's only a temporary placement, however with the final cargo loading [and the "Bills of Lading"] show that the livestock crates far Aft of the Forcastle ....or the Animal Welfare  :police: Authorities will be on your case

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2021, 12:59:18 am »

Yes Derek, after hes's gone through classification process, then registered with some kind of convenient flag state then found numerous banks and insurance, and once though all that he can perhaps worry about BOL.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2021, 01:07:17 am »

mmmmmm.

Had never considered if livestock could be covered by a, or the BOL? ....but I am still sure the Animal Welfare  :police:  Authorities would be involved
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2021, 01:29:43 am »

Yes but be careful what you pick on for Andy here please, his project is perfectly good so far otherwise someone might ask where the  golden rivet got knoked in after launching.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2021, 04:51:29 am »

No animals on board, there is a prop in tne crate.
It took a while to learn how to adjust/set the printer to get decent results.
It can vary with filament, the cheap stuff was bought second hand by my friend a job lot off facebook.
I am using a different filament now, works nicely and appears to be all one bit, so far, touch wood. And relatively cheap. I have a base for my rather nice cannon printing just now. I printed the barrel and wheels earlier. The barrel is just over 200mm long.
I started off thinking about printing cannons for my plank on frame 1/70 sailing ship, but I dont think I would get very good results this small, I actually think the ship is more like 1/100 scale which would make the cannons even smaller..... So I decided to do a big one instead! 😁
I am printing a wide variety of stuff just now to keep my mind off things. I printed some triangles for drawing, very nice, put them in my top pocket, forgot about them and sat a hot water bottle on my chest to ease pain (I am recovering from a broken sternum, collarbone, shoulder blade and six broken ribs, in case you are wondering)
Needless to say, the points of the triangles went a funny shape..... Oops, typical. I could print new ones but I heated them carefully with a lighter and flattened them out with a steel ruler.
I am filling some of my couch time with modelling, which is definately helping me through. I cant manage for very long before everything gets sore, but I am determined. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2021, 04:57:05 am »

The lifeboats printed as two ends, joined and sanded they end up pretty good, the supports come out easily. The print includes a mast and a rudder too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.