Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first build - KY Models Nordic fishing boat  (Read 2657 times)

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My first build - KY Models Nordic fishing boat
« on: February 26, 2021, 02:07:30 pm »

Hi,

Have been lurking on the forum and on the Facebook group for a while. Gathered some advice via Facebook and have just finished my first RC boat build for something like 45 years.

Was a pretty nice kit from KY Models, of a Nordic fishing boat. It may not look like the box lid but it is what I wanted. I was inspired by the boats I saw when I visited Bergen and Oslo for work, and wanted something along the lines of the working boats I saw there.

Looking forward to sailing this one, and building more. Will have loads of questions and hopefully will be able to add to the forum in future.

Carl

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Saying Hi, and my first build
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 07:59:34 pm »

Nice job Carl, well done!

Don't forget to video maiden voyage ...  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 08:56:34 pm »

That looks great.  I just finished the KY peba mooring tug but it had horrible distorted parts when I opened the box.  I was going to buy this kit also but it kind of put me off. Did yours have any distortion to correct? I presume it's the 3-d printed kit anyway?

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 09:32:04 am »

The hull was ABS and pretty true, fitting the deck sorted out an small distortions. The 3d printed parts where all okay.

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 09:56:11 pm »

Hi Carl
Really nice build. Looks really good. I have just bought the KY Model Mooring Tug, which I believe is the same material for the hull as the Norden. Could I just ask What you used to secure the shaft. I was wondering what affect 2 Part epoxy would have on it. Also what esc did you use.
Best wishesAlan
Alan

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 11:25:02 pm »

Hi Alan,

The Norden had a vacuum formed ABS hull, I believe the mooring tug has a resin printed hull. That said, it may also be ABS as ABS resinis certainly used often. I do 3d print a lot of stuff including hulls and find that 2 part epoxy wrks well on them but I have never tried that on a resin printed item. I would think it would be fine but have no personal experience.

ESC wise I used a Hobbywing 1080, mainly because I had one to hand from my crawler builds and also so I could program the punch and startup to get a very slow startup on the motor.

Carl

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first build - KY Models Nordic fishing boat
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 10:59:59 am »

Hi Carl

Thanks for the information. I have ordered the Norden as well and looking at your finished example, I am very impressed. I belive both kits share the same motor. I was going to order a  Hobbywing Quickrun 1060. Not sure how different that is from the 1080. Initially I was going to buy a Mtroniks marine controller, but noticed on a lot of threads that  Hobbywing Quickrun 1060s are being used.

Could I just ask what batteries you are using on the Norden. Also any problems with the instructions and build. The instructions on the mooring Tug are a bit vague in places and having been out of the hobby for a while, I do struggle.

Really appreciate the information Carl.
Best wishes
Alan
Alan

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 11:10:51 am »

Hi Alan,

The Norden is a great kit and offers some chances for creativity as well. The boat, built as per the plans, has a lot more nets etc. which look great. I wanted that Nordic working boat look and it was east to achieve.

The 1060 is a great ESC, I use those a lot in my boats. The main difference, other than the price, is that the 1080 offers a lot more configuration options via a programming card, which is great for rock crawler but not really required for boats.

I run my Norden on a 7.4 volt 2S lipo pack, 1500mAh but I have had to manage the power via the esc as unchecked it almost makes the boat plane. I think a 7.2 or even a 6 volt nimh battery would be more than adequate. This is not a power hungry boat and I can run pretty much all morning on the 1500 mAh pack and still have power left over.

Hope that helps

Carl

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 11:32:02 am »

Hi Carl

Thanks very much for that. Understand what you are saying about the batteries, I will probably go for a 7.2 Nimh. I noticed all the netting on the boat and I think I will be leaving that off as well. Yours looks really great and if I can get mine close to that. I will be pleased.
Thanks again for the information. It is appreciated.

Best wishes
Alan
Alan

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 11:37:27 am »

That's a brilliant result Carl.
Love the detailing and the finish.

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 11:51:01 am »

Thanks Phil, was a lot of fun building it, and has resulted in my owning a fleet of 9 boats just 12 months later lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.