Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Sea-Wolf V2  (Read 10191 times)

johnukhenry

Robbe Sea-Wolf V2
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:49:20 pm »

Thinking of again of doing something out of my comfort zone and dipping into Submarines. The model I had my eye on was the Robbe Sea-Wolf V2 seems a good enough model to start of with - So for a beginner whats does everyone think? Good or Bad is there a better alternative?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Robbe Sea-Wolf V2
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:02:13 pm »

It's a decent model.

The large control surfaces make for a good handling boat, and it's a simple no nonsense design which you can modify as your experience dictates.

Worthwhile modifications include adding a servo to the front hydrovanes, adding a ballast system and fitting a gland/stuffing box to the propshaft.

A better alternative to this kit has just been released, the Thunder Tiger Neptune submersible/ROV. A very complete model, which can be put together with little more than a set of screwdrivers. It is a proper static diver with glanded shafts, and the whole thing is as tough as old boots.

On the negative side, the model looks a bit toy-like, however if you're a decent modelmaker, you should easily be able to modify the boat to resemble something more scale-like.

Price for the kit is £299, quite a bit more than the seawolf, but you are getting a better product for your money. Also, it comes with everything you need bar a transmitter, receiver and battery charger.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:23:20 pm »

Yes a good model. I built version 1, not sure what the differences are but as Andy says, make the effort to make the fore planes functional as it not a static diver ( lacks a ballast tank) but it's cheap! (£115 http://www.amodelworld.co.uk/ )

An alternative would also be the Sheerline range. VERY good hardware.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:13:02 pm »

Agreed.

A Sheerline kit is a different ballgame IMO though.

Hand laid scale GRP hull, custom made module, fittings etc. Vs non scale vac-formed or injection moulded hull parts and mass-production techniques used for the dive module/wtc.

The Seawolf is more of a builders model, i.e. you'll be required to cut-out and trim parts, finish and paint etc. The version two comes complete with a motor and gearbox, and a modified method of sealing the hull.

The Neptune requires a few small parts to be glued, but mostly bolts together and the parts are pre finished in a very visible yellow.

Andy

Greg Vincent

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 02:25:52 am »

The Dumas Akula is also considered a good entry level sub kit that won't break the bank. RCGroups has two separate build threads for this sub. It's a dynamic diver but it is reported to be a very good performer (I have not built or operated it myself).

Also, note that the Neptune is a scale research sub and would not provide very high speed operation. The Akula is a fast boat and I believe the Robbe Sea Wolf is as well.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:51:27 am »

Personally I wouldn't look twice at a Dumas Akula, the design of the pressure hull is dreadful in my opinion- little better than a lunch box, and it won't take much in the way of water pressure.

The seawolf has an excellent pressure hull however, as does the Neptune and Akula.

The Neptune's speed is governed by the prop and motor size. As standard it's underpowered really. A 720BB motor and a decent size prop would make it move well enough.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:08:35 am »

Anyone know of any online reviews of the Sea Wold II or the Thunder Tiger Neptune ?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:21:42 pm »

None that I know of.

The Neptune is too new, has only just been released and it isn't widely available in shops yet.

There was a review of the Seawolf Version 1 many years ago in Marine Modelling. The changes made for Version 2 are so small as to be inconsequential.

Andy

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 11:53:14 pm »

My Neptune arrived yesterday - in kit form. I gather the RTR version will not be forthcoming. Initial impressions are very positive and the kit seems very complete even including the servos, esc etc. The 4-channel 40MHz Tx/Rx is however an extra as is the camera cable which is still 4 weeks away. The whole thing looks to be more of a screw together job than the usual type of build. Bit like glorified Meccano really. The wtc and hull mouldings seem excellent. It will certainly be visible in its bright yellow and although it does appear a little toy like it could be modified to look more realistic. The instruction book also looks to be a cut above normal with plenty of illustrations. Unfortunately my eyesight has deteriorated so badly since ordering this (cataract op pending) a friend is going to have to do most of the work on it. Still I will try and post progress reports as we go.

Andrew

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 05:03:56 pm »

Good to hear you now have your neptune.

perhaps you could start a separate thread, and post a few piccies up, I'm sure it will be of interest to many here.

Andy

gantu

• Full Mayhemer
    • Modellbaudaten
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 09:09:33 am »

johnukhenry

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:34:21 am »

Well thanks for the input guys, still haven't made a decision yet but going to see a Neptune that is in stock in near model shop in London so maybe that will make my mind up - Cheers John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 11:47:31 am »

Looks like the Sea Wolf V2 is "X" tail configuration as opposed to "+" on the original.

hastings246

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 08:22:20 pm »

Hello,
Check www.subcommittee.com or www.subpirates.com for build threads. Maybe something might spark your interest.

Best Regards,
Sean

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:28:21 pm »

Hi John - Sorry I'm a bit late with my reply - I've built the version 2 Seawolf by Robbe.  It's a good submarine starter kit at a very good price.  Have great fun with mine and it takes very little forward motion to start the dive.  I have my forward dive plane set fractionally downwards to start the dive then I control the boat with the rear ones.  I can hold the boat on the surface by keeping the rear planes in the 'surface' position (by using the TX adjustment slider) - (or the stick) then as I level the planes out I can do a quick crash dive.  On the version 1 the watertight compartment sid into the watertight chamber.  on the front of the tray there's a threaded bolt which goes through to the front flooded compartment and is secured with a wingnut.  The version 2 has an extended rod from the bow to the WTC through which a long threaded rod tightens the whole thing without having to take the top of the nose cone off.  Eventually I stripped the thread on the tray through overtightening to prevent water ingress during the dive - I replaced the threaded rod with a larger one then use a wing nut as on the earlier version together with a rubber tap washer smeared with vaseline.  I understand that Robbe have gone back to this idea in any case.  I found the best way to ensure that the WTC is watertight is to run a smear of vaseline around the rubber seal - this works wonders and so far not a drop of water has got past (without overtightening it).
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 23 queries.