Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC boat on canals  (Read 2731 times)

LouPapy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
RC boat on canals
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:15:47 pm »

Hello all,
I am going to have to take care of my nephew for a while so I'm trying to think about things to keep him entertained. As I live next to a canal (Bridgewater canal to be precise), I thought I would get him a RC boat.But then I though that maybe it would be wise to find out if RC boating is allowed on canals. I had a quick search on Google but coudn't find an answer.Could one of you tell me the answer?Thanks in advance
Lou

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RC boat on canals
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 07:48:40 pm »

I think that much depends on the authority controlling the canal. The document below details the conditions required to operate on the Basingstoke canal and includes a charge of £5 a day to operate a boat which must meet a number of constraints regarding power source, speed and areas of operation. https://mycouncil.surreycc.gov.uk/documents/s73404/Canal%20-%20Boat%20Licence%20Review%20Paper%20for%20JMC%20Oct%202020.pdf

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:03 am »

Just do it. I do whenever and wherever. I f anyone complains take it out, wait till they’ve gone and put it back and go the other way. My Steam Launch is the tender for my narrowboat but in ten years nobody’s even asked, they just take pics and videos of it.
Jerry C.

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 08:37:35 am »

Quite agree we hired a narrowboat 2 years running took my dannyboy to sail on evenings on problems also when i lived in Greenford sailed my ic boat on the nearby canal go for it

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 09:09:32 am »

Down this page
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/getting-afloat/all-craft-great-and-small

Have a consideration for retrieval in the event of dead in the water.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:14:07 am »

There you go, no problem. I used to regularly go with a couple of mates and our model boats starting at the Poachers Pocket on the Llangollen Canal to Chirk Tunnel and back to the Poachers for lunch then tother way to Lion Quays and back to the cars. A good day out.

Jerry C.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 02:48:12 pm »

Did you know there is a council provided model boat pond in Runcorn, on Park Road - just off Heath Road?
Unsually the Runcorn Model Boat Club are there on Wednesday afternoons and all day Sundays.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 09:12:11 am »

An actual model boat pond will probably be preferable as launching and retrieving are going to be easier.  Less of a drop to water level.  Without a set of straps or some other device, a drop of more than a very few inches becomes a problem to reach down.  And get up again holding a boat.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 12:23:43 pm »

An actual model boat pond will probably be preferable as launching and retrieving are going to be easier.  Less of a drop to water level.  Without a set of straps or some other device, a drop of more than a very few inches becomes a problem to reach down.  And get up again holding a boat.
Not all model boat ponds have the water level near the rim. My local pond  the water is normally near a foot below the rim of the pond. The club has some 2 wheeled launching trollies for putting the model in the pond and some have their own straps or launching trolly. even large yachts (R6m) are hand launched without problems.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.