Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Action Electronics Help  (Read 2104 times)

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Action Electronics Help
« on: March 03, 2021, 05:24:54 pm »

Hi, Need some help please .I am in the process of assembling my electronics.Because I am using 2 motors and 2 thrusters I am following Fig#2 & 3 .For power I am using a 12 volt battery with a toggle switch from battery to distribution board for motors.As for thrusters can I splice off the distribution board to the thruster assembly for power?  Or do do need a  terminal block  between battery and toggle switch to provide another source of power for thrusters? I want to be able to turn on/off with the one toggle switch.I apologize for the stupid question, just not too fluent in electronics

Regards Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Action Electronics Help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 06:17:13 pm »

Are you using the  P112 distribution board as I'm not sure what you mean by figs 2&3. Is it an earlier version?

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P112.pdf

The distribution board is intended to avoid the need for separate power take offs from the main battery. It has just the one input from the battery. The P112 has two versions, one with a master switch and one without.

If you have the version with the master switch then you won't need a toggle switch between it and the main battery,

It will be fine to take the power for the motors and the thrusters directly off the distribution board provided that the total concurrent power draw is less than the overall power handling limit specified for the board and that each iindividual output does not exceed the max current rating specified for a a single output.

You don't give details of your model so I can't be more specific than that I'm afraid.

Colin

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:37:41 pm »

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf     Here is a link to what I am using hopefully this helps

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 07:17:43 pm »

Mike,

There seems to be some confusion here between distribution boards and ESc/Mixers. The P112 distribution board simply supplies power to multiple outputs from a single battery input. It does not supply control signals.

The P94 is a combined ESC/Mixer unit tht can either control two motors OR two independent thrusters (bow & stern). It also has the facility to accept the RX input for a central propeller via an independent ESC which would need a separate power supply (from a distribution board if fitted). 

The P94 will not directly supply power to the bow thruster - you would need a separate ESC or electronic forward/reverse switch for that driven by a separate RX channel and the thruster should have its own power suppy (from a distribution board if fitted).

So if you have a P112 distribution board then the master switch on that (if fitted) or alternatively a toggle switch between it and the main battery will isolate all the power from the battery.

If you don't have a distribution board then you need a terminal block connected to the battery via a toggle switch which will then supply the P94 for the motors and separately the independent ESC controlling the bow thruster.

I hope I haven't confused myself here but that seems logical!

Colin

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:30:58 pm »

Wow That is a lot of good info Here is what I have 2X P94 esc, 2x P92 power dist. 2x P95 fuse board. 1x high current toggle switch and some standard ff type slide switches.My plan was to run both motors and both thrusters off my 12v lead acid battery and turn them on with one toggle switch.Now I find out  my 2 raebosch thrusters 4108-20 & 4108-4 should only be used with 6v battery.I thought I could adjust the power to the thrusters through the esc as shown in fig#3

If that is the case can I still run my accessories and thrusters off the 6v source.  Cheers Mike

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:03:39 pm »

You aren't making this easy for us Mike!

Yes, if you have a second P94 dedicated to the thrusters you can adjust the voltage as shown in #3.

When asking questions on the Forum it is much better if you can fully describe your setup and what you are trying to do otherwise we are just having to guess!

As it is, it does look like you have got all the gear you need to do what you want. Hope it all works out OK. What sort of model are you running?

Colin

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:14 pm »

Mike,

There seems to be some confusion here between distribution boards and ESc/Mixers. The P112 distribution board simply supplies power to multiple outputs from a single battery input. It does not supply control signals.

The P94 is a combined ESC/Mixer unit tht can either control two motors OR two independent thrusters (bow & stern). It also has the facility to accept the RX input for a central propeller via an independent ESC which would need a separate power supply (from a distribution board if fitted). 

The P94 will not directly supply power to the bow thruster - you would need a separate ESC or electronic forward/reverse switch for that driven by a separate RX channel and the thruster should have its own power suppy (from a distribution board if fitted).

So if you have a P112 distribution board then the master switch on that (if fitted) or alternatively a toggle switch between it and the main battery will isolate all the power from the battery.

If you don't have a distribution board then you need a terminal block connected to the battery via a toggle switch which will then supply the P94 for the motors and separately the independent ESC controlling the bow thruster.

Colin
Thank you Colin So let me get this right,a terminal block (any particular kind?) will will split the power for both circuits?If I can dial down the power on the ESC,why am I being told I should use 6v battery?? I am building the Fairmount Alpine. Just doing the drive train.Lot's of work ahead, probably another 6 months. Ps you have been very helpful, electricity is not my strong point. Cheers Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 09:02:03 pm »

Mike,

The thrusters use 6 volts from what you have said. The P94 enables you to dial down or rather up!) the maximum voltage to 6 volts as explained in the instruction sheet so all good!

The main motors can carry on using 12v from the other P94.

Just think it through carefully and all becomes clear!

Colin

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 10:17:44 pm »

:-))   Thank you

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:48:08 am »

There is a full wiring diagram drawn for Mr Mike Burke for Fairmount Alpine On component shop Wed Site under Action .I have built Fairmount Fitted bow and stern thrusters Please send me a personal Email I might be able to help  You do not say what thrusters you are using but you will need to control them through ESC ,if you just switch them on thy will be at full speed not good thy have to be proportionally controlled , I have a pictures if you want Please do the search for the diagram .
Good luck here to help if you want   
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:33 am »

Hi,Mike did state he is going to use 2 raebosh thrusters.
The diagram should certainly help him.

John

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 03:24:21 pm »

Mike,

Colin      Sent you a PM

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 04:03:04 pm »

There is a full wiring diagram drawn for Mr Mike Burke for Fairmount Alpine On component shop Wed Site under Action .I have built Fairmount Fitted bow and stern thrusters Please send me a personal Email I might be able to help  You do not say what thrusters you are using but you will need to control them through ESC ,if you just switch them on thy will be at full speed not good thy have to be proportionally controlled , I have a pictures if you want Please do the search for the diagram .
Good luck here to help if you want   
David
Sent you a PM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.