Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire Fire!  (Read 1177 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Fire Fire!
« on: March 06, 2021, 07:02:26 pm »

It would be interesting to know what fire precautions members take.

I have been reviewing mine and decided that the critical areas are the kitchen and my garage and workshop. I never use naked flames in either of th latter but there are lots of highly combustible materials in my workshop and garage.

I have therefore ordered two water mist extinguishers, a 1 litre for the kitchen (with existing fire blanket) and a 3 litre in the conservatory for just outside the door to the garage and my workshop. (and for general househod use)

The water mist extinguishers are a bit more expensive than standard water or powder but can be used on just about any type of domestic fire, including electrics and leave no residue to clean up afterwards.

Better safe than sorry?

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Fire Fire!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 07:12:46 pm »

I have recently had to replace our built in oven, I have dismantled the unit into smaller pieces and will be using one of the ovens to charge up the batteries in.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:47 pm »

Hi Colin I put all of my combustable materials in one metal cupboard.  So all of my spray cans, gas, IPA, thinners, glues and cleaners are all in one place.  I think it far safer this way and I should have said that this cupboard is also locked.  I live in a flat and I think that this is the safest way forward.

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:31:05 pm »

We have a combined heat sensor/smoke alarm in the kitchen which is hard wired to another 3 smoke alarms around the house (if I'm cooking dinner's ready when the alarm goes off!).  In my workshop / shed I keep a dry powder extinguisher by the door (pressure gauge gets checked from time to time), batteries don't get left to charge unattended and I have a routine to check everything is switched off / unplugged etc whenever I lock up.

Ralph

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 09:43:12 pm »

When I joined the fire service in 1963 fires in houses usually involved woollen fabrics and upholstery, when we arrived the furniture was only smouldering and there was little smoke.  Milkmen were famed for daring early morning rescues.  Crews rarely used breathing apparatus and 2 firemen with a low pressure hose reel quickly dealt with the fire.  Clean out the room and you could be using it again tomorrow.

Those times are long past, the fire load in modern homes and domestic workshops is incredibly high due to the huge quantities of man made materials, fires develop and spread very quickly while creating large volumes of toxic smoke.   Firefighting now is at least 4 B.A. and high volume, high pressure jets; the building will require a complete restoration.

Fire extinguishers etc may be effective if you are in the room at the time, know how to operate it and more importantly know not to waste it the flames. A one litre unit will be empty before you have aimed it properly.  Fire extinguishers etc instil false re-assurance and may cost you your life.   

Many people carry a fire extinguisher in their car.  Modern cars have a fire load of 25Mw, you calculate how much water is needed to quench that.   I will run away.

Do what firefighters do at home, install 10year fire alarms throughout the premises, you can't react until you know there is a fire.     Every locked exit door should have its key on a hook on the hinge side of the door and you should check it's there every night.   

When a fire alarm sounds, quickly gather your family together and leave by the shortest route.  Do not try to find out what is on fire and never try to put it out.
Firefighter's families always laugh at them when staying in hotels. When we reach our room we don't check the bathroom, we come back out and trace our escape routes left and right.  10 steps to fire door, turn right , 12 steps to staircase, 13 stairs to the first flight....etc until we reach the final exit door, which we open.

Get out and Stay out.   I know firefighters are far more wary of fire than you are.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 09:59:25 pm »

Kinmel, yes I'm well aware of fire risks. Back in the 1970s when I worked for a County Council Social Services department I spent several months inspecting our residential homes along with fire brigade fire safety officers and building surveyors as a result of which we commissioned a fire precaution capital improvement programme to upgrade the fire safety arrangements.

In a domestic situation, I agree, if you discover there is a fire then the priority is to get everyone out but if you experience a minor outbreak such as the proverbial chip pan fire then if you have a fire blanket or suitable extinguisher handy then you have a chance of nipping it in the bud. (actually we don't fry anything in our house anyway!). If you do have a minor fire and the extinguisher can't cope then yes, get out immediately.

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 10:23:37 pm »

Empty your workshop waste bins at the end of each session - oily rags, kitchen roll or whatever else you use to clean up spillages i e excess resins, will build up heat, real potential for combustion  :o :-))

Ray.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 12:04:24 am »

Don't knock fire extinguishers in cars.  The only time I had to use one was to control a small grass fire at the side of the road.   Yes! it was more than the extinguisher could cope with but it kept it small until the fire brigade came.   If not it would have been a major bush fire.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 04:33:55 pm »

Empty your workshop waste bins at the end of each session - oily rags, kitchen roll or whatever else you use to clean up spillages i e excess resins, will build up heat, real potential for combustion  :o :-))

Ray.
At a club meeting a few years ago the subject of unexpected fire came up.  One of our members made a living flogging fire precaution goodies.
It turns out that one little known source of "spontaneous combustion" is waste cloth that has wet oil based paint on it.  Turns out that the paint cures slowly by gently oxidising.  Or, being dramatic, burns slowly since the oxidation process is exothermic.  On a painted surface, there is little enough air contact and plenty of cooling, but inside a scrunched up bit of waste cloth, the temperature can build to the point where the required conditions of flam, oxygen and temperature rise above the flash point.
Possibly one of the very few good things about modern paint.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.