Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pondyacht / 10-Rater  (Read 716 times)

Daan Makkink

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Pondyacht / 10-Rater
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:10:35 pm »

My name is Daan Makkink from The Netherlands and this is my first trial posting on this great forum.
Early 2019 I spotted a model boat in the window of a charity shop in Ruthin (North Wales). Although the shop was closed and I had to fly back the same evening I persuaded my mother in law to purchase the boat and bring it to her home. Eventually I picked it up by car in May 2019 and brought it to The Netherlands.
The purchase comprised a 1.6m long hull of a model yacht (without rudder, but with deck), a 2.1m long wooden mast and a number of aluminium spars. Fortunately the lead keel was still attached. There was also a handsome stand with it. No deck or mast fittings were present.
After further investigation, the hull is bread-and-butter built with (imho) beautiful lines. Scouring the internet and emailing with some contacts in the UK and doing some calculations based on waterline length, mast-height and jib- and mainboom lengths the boat fits the formula of a 10-Rater. The shape of the hull very much looks like an Alexander of Preston. However, one of the reasons to join this form is to see if I can find more information on the boat.
If I master the technique of uploading postings I will share my most enjoyable path of restoring this boat to sailing conditions and converting it to RC operations. Currently she has completed her first sailing trips, but my sail making skills are not great. I will soon order a set from a proper (model) sailmaker.
Daan. 

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
Re: Pondyacht / 10-Rater
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:03:02 pm »

Ooooh, 10 Raters, the most elegant of model yachts.  :-))

Your skipper seems to be well pleased with his new vessel anyway.  :-) 
Regards
Kit

Daan Makkink

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 01:20:35 pm »

Some more pictures in as-found condition.

Still struggling to upload photos>1Mb

Daan Makkink

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 11:49:29 am »

Next step was to strip the hull from all paint. At this stage I left the deck alone. The deck is not perfect but I like to try and keep it.
I stripped the hull using paint stripper, scrapers and sanding paper. It became clear that the hull was indeed bread-and-butter. Some minor setbacks:
   Partly iron nails were used to fasten the deck to the hull, these had corroded badly and affected the wood of the hull.
   At the bow the hull was hollowed out so much at a bad area of wood that there was a hole in the wood. This was filled with some kind of filler on the inside (seems to be from time of construction). To repair this the deck will have to come off.
   Along either side of the keel some cracks had developed in the hull. Fortunately the hull was still in one piece. To be repaired later.
   At the stern the wood contained a patch of very raisin rich wood. Did not seem to affect the paint, so left alone.
All in all the hull was still strong with the lead keel firmly attached and no cracks in keel or skeg.

to be continued.

garethjones35

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 05:12:22 pm »

Hi Daan, 

That's a very nice 10 rater you have to restore.  I have looked through my files and I can't find a drawing or design  that matches it, but I guess it might be an Alexander.  From the shape of the hull and type of rudder skeg I would guess it was intended to be a vane steered model, possibly from the 1940's or 1950's.. Typically 10 Raters from that era are around 1.7-1.8 metres long so yours is unusually short, which might help in identifying the design.  I will make some enquiries within the Vintage Model Yacht Group and see if anyone else can help with identification.  We are currently restoring a couple of 10 Raters for people in the UK, one of a similar age to yours, but somewhat bigger, and also of an unknown design.  This one is also bread and butter construction, but with the slices vertical rather than horizontal.

Regards
Gareth

Daan Makkink

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 03:28:27 pm »

Long overdue (work intervened), but still planning to finish the story to date. Don't worry the Waif sails again, but knowing me she will never be fully finished.

Anyway, back tot he storyline. I stripped the hull of paint and the deck of varnish. The hull was in reasonable shape and solid. After sanding the hull back to a smooth finish I put 2 layers of epoxy over it, one thin penetrating resin and then normal layer. I did not use any glass fiber on the outside.

The deck was made from a solid piece of very thin wood, with a hardwood inlay along the center. Shallow grooves filled with black paint gave the impression of a planked deck.

I took all the varnish off with a mix of paint stripper and hard work. The deck was damaged to such an extend that it would never be a show-model. But my aim was to build a well sailing model yacht for use and I liked the idea of keeping the original deck. Then I gave the deck also a layer of penetrating epoxy for protection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up