Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J-Class Build  (Read 787 times)

Cropduster

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
J-Class Build
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:12:44 am »

Hi All,Just signed up and although I'm not new to modelling I've got a long way to go skill-wise.Anyway, I've ordered a Nottingham J-class from Alan Horne and look forward to its arrival, but the build process is cluttering my mind. For example, how on earth do you make sure the mast tube, whether round or oval, is vertical and true so the mast sits at the correct angle when on the water?? There are several guys I know building Js so it won't be long before one of them have the same issue.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: J-Class Build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 05:37:37 pm »

Hi,
Well it really can vary on the type of yacht, some do have a lean back  [not much] depending on the runing rigging, some have a bend forward in the top portion called mast bend, generally older yachts tend to be perdedicular to the deck, but also the cut of your sails can make a huge difference.

Perahps some old photos, plans might help.
Have a chat with Frank at Nylet, he will certainly help.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
Re: J-Class Build
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 07:49:24 pm »

We have several J class yachts which are sailed at the Bury club?  I am at present building a new gaff rig one and re rigging a bermuda rig one.  If you go on Alan Horne's web-site you can download the build instructions which will give you all the info that you need.  His web site is J Class Hulls and straight forward to navigate around?

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.