Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flight deck netting  (Read 1419 times)

Alan D Goldsmith

• Cleopatra rebuild
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Flight deck netting
« on: March 16, 2021, 04:09:05 pm »

Hi i. Have started thinking about adding flight deck netting for  my 1/64 model of HMS Cleopatra. The hole size is approx 2mm square , does anyone know of a supply of mesh or netting which would look realistic . I thought wire might be a little less chunky.  Alan=
I'm refurbishing a 1/65 scale model of Cleopatra 1970s Exocet.
I have finished the superstructure and have now turned my attention to the hull and RC gear. Because of the scale most of the model is scratch built. Any ideas on scale crew figures?

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flight deck netting
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 04:27:04 pm »

Some Net Curtain material may suit what you need.

RST

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 04:36:28 pm »

Fly screen material from our local industrial counter is about that. A little bit rigid also.  Probably not cheapest though and usually by the m off a bulk roll, so a little will maybe last a full modelling lifespan of you can remember where you keep it!

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 07:49:14 pm »

I use net curtain, but scale link do 2mm PE mesh

https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/meshes-reference-guide/
Regards David

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 10:21:48 am »

Thought I had some Garlic bulb netting, but on reflection it might be 3/4mm square.

Just measured the mozzie netting we have at the back door, it's 1mm across the corners
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:57:29 am »

You can buy copper mesh from 4D models in London (Near Fenchurch St - they do mail order). Its not cheap but the diamond pattern is about 2mm and its perfectly flat and being copper is easily bent and soldered. https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Copper-impression-mesh/ITM6559

Otherwise I would agree with net curtain as once painted it can become quite stiff and very useful - also lots of different patterns available, or maybe extruded aluminium mesh from Halfords.

Cheers

Geoff

RST

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 11:18:48 am »

Mozzie netting should be smaller mesh. I was being eaten alive in France last summer. No mozzie netting in stock anywhere. Had to do with fly screen which is a bit bigger. It kept 90% of the mozzies out though.  If I could get to my apartment I'd be happy to send on a square foot or two of scraps, but not had chance to get back since July last year.

I saw someone using embroidery mesh for helideck nets. Might be a bit thick though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.