Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: duff reciever  (Read 1874 times)

djrobbo

duff reciever
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:23:46 am »

Hi all.. ...hope someone can shed some light on my problem... i have a futaba 2 channel reciever which i have had for a few years.  I took it out of a boat and put it on the shelf for a few months while other things were happening. Put it into my new springer tug that i have just built, and i have lost one output !....changed the servos round and it is still the same channel that is dead . Is this something that you have come across or is it one for the bin ?...............regards.......bob..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: duff reciever
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:38:09 am »

Pop it open and look for corrosion - 'black / negative death".
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

djrobbo

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:45:53 am »

Hello martin........ did try that and couldn't see any corrosion......i'll take another peek.....it seems strange that half the reciever works but not the other half.....any way thanks for the advice i'll have another look......regards.bob

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:23:49 pm »

While the lid is off I would be tempted to burnish the pins, or at least scrape them a bit.  Then I would have a look with a meter for the voltage turning up where expected - there should be battery voltage across the servo power pins, both with and without the servo connected.  If the voltage is there, that leaves the signal pin.  As the signal switches rapidly, all you can expect is a messy reading.  I have been caught a few times by dry joints/hairline fractures in the tracking at or near the pin base.  The dry joint can be cured by re-soldering, the fracture by cleaning the track and soldering a short length of wire over it.
If the problem is any deeper, it really isn't worth looking further as you are then into the area of either parts that you can't easily get, or can't replace without wholesale destruction, and a new RX is then the answer.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

djrobbo

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:37:32 pm »

O0 Hi guys ..thanks for the info i didn't think about checking the pins the board looks okay but i'll check it again anyway.  Its really not a problem if it is scrap as i have three or four other rx's to use , its just annoying when it happens for no reason......oh well........I'll let you know what i find........cheers guys...............

regards bob...

djrobbo

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:03 pm »

Hi malcolm.........success.............tried your trick and burnished the pins with a fibre glass brush........bingo !!!!..all back working again.......thanks for your advice....i'll add you to mt christmas card list    ho....ho...ho

thanks again guys.......regards.....bob O0 O0 O0 O0

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:22:28 pm »

When we were being taught to find faults in circuits and systems, the instructors had a habit of dabbing a bit of beeswax onto the contact that was to be disabled.  It was almost impossible to see and a right swine to shift afterwards as the more you rubbed it, the shinier it got, but I suppose thats why polish makers use the stuff.  At least with the equipment we were learning about, the electric bits were accessible, consumer gear is cunningly designed for safety, which means that testing is almost impossible without breaking something.
Nice to know that your problem was minor.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

djrobbo

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:50:52 pm »

;D ;D ;D     Thanks again malcolm you'r a gentleman...............

regards bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.