Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bayonet Sports - Water Jet  (Read 1234 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Bayonet Sports - Water Jet
« on: May 11, 2023, 07:08:27 pm »

My main interest has been in building my Fairey fleet and with these I have ticked one of my boxes to do something a little different and that was to fit one of them with a stern-drive. Another box to tick was to build a model fitted with a water-jet but for this I would move away from Faireys, well to some extent.

My inspiration for the model to use started with Bob’s (Zooma) and Will’s (Madwelshman) discussions as regards the Lesro Stiletto/Arrow and Rapier/Javelin on various threads and also about the Solent Spear on another thread which does have a Fairey connection.

Having borrowed a drawing for the Stiletto and redrawn it larger at around 34” (somewhere between the Stiletto and Rapier) and at Bob’s suggestion called it a Bayonet we then had various discussions on making the superstructure more modern and making some tweaks to the transom i.e. incorporating a curve and slope. This resulted in producing drawings for three derivatives; a modified Bayonet, a Sports Fisherman and a Sports which we called Project 3! The drawings were produced early last year but for various reasons no further progress was made.

But having thought more about something with a water-jet and doing some reading on RC Groups I’ve decided that using the Sport drawings would be a good basis. A unit recommended to me is one by TFL and I have decided that the one with a 29mm impeller will fit the bill.

I’ve already started modifying the drawings, mainly the transom and rear of the hull to facilitate installation of the water-jet along with some other changes. I know that lots of other folks have already done builds with water-jets but it is a first for me and I’m still a relative beginner and am quite excited by it, as again it is something different.

My Fairey builds have taken a long time, partly due to the detail and the number (!) but this one will be quicker as it will be simpler (apart from the water-jet!) as there won’t be a planked deck and window frames etc. and painting will be easier. Well, that’s the plan!

Still some work to do on the drawings but hopefully it won’t be too long before I start building. 

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bayonet Sports - Water Jet
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 05:39:02 pm »

Very sleek Chris.  :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 12:08:11 pm »

Yes, thanks Ian. I like the Stiletto/Rapier hull which looks quite modern but the superstructure was crying out for some modernisation.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 12:55:41 pm »

Just ordered the water-jet, so that will be arriving in the next few days.

Been away for a few days but will get back to the drawings soon. I think I'm going to build this one in a different way to the usual method and start off by mounting the water-jet first to a section of the transom and the plywood water inlet plate as it will make it easier and more accurate to drill/cut-out and fit. The resulting transom/plate can then be glued in place to the rest of the hull. Well, that's the theory!

Chris

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 11:44:09 am »

Now THAT looks like a -thing-a-purpose  O0  and yes, the cabin design makes it.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 12:39:04 pm »

The reversing bucket looks a bit ugly but otherwise looks a nice bit of kit.

I don't usually water cool my boats but I'm going to do it with this one as I already have a 120amp Seaking water-cooled ESC and the water-jet comes with the motor cooling jacket. Also there is a take off from the w/j so it is a pumped system.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 07:03:58 pm »

Just going to the lake this morning and the postman turned up with a parcel, earlier than expected.

I've never used Noahs RC Ark before, I found them when Googling for the TFL water-jet, but I'm impressed by their service. I contacted them on Tuesday morning via their web-site as they did a package for everything I wanted but it included the 2 blade impeller rather than the 4 blade. I'd been advised on RC Groups that the 4 blade gave better response at slower and mid-range speeds (i.e. not racing/jet-boat speeds) which is what I wanted.

Within a short time Noahs RC Ark emailed me to say they had put a link on the web-site for what I wanted. I duly ordered and was emailed to say that once the impeller had been changed it would be posted out. I was thinking maybe a week, not 2 days!

After getting back from the lake I've opened the package and it contains everything I need apart from the two mini-servos, I shall buy my usual Hi-TEC for those.

Chris

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 08:40:56 pm »

Looks very interesting!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 07:31:05 pm »

Agreed, looks like a very nice piece of hardware...

David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 08:38:49 pm »

Yep, whilst I very much enjoy building the timber parts of a boat I like fiddling with the mechanical bits. Not at your level though David!

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2023, 02:10:34 pm »

That modernised design really works and it also suits the water jet too.

Sounds like you had really good service from Noahs RC Arc, they're one to remember for the future for sure.

Really looking forward to the build of this one, as much so as the Faireys.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 10:08:28 pm »

Hi Will

Not had much time lately but I've been spending a little time on the drawings. I've added in a couple of extra frames and introduced some curve and narrowing of the hull ( in plan) towards the stern to give it a better shape which has created quite a bit of extra work and will involve redrawing most of the frames - I enjoy the drawing though.

It will be good to get building it. The motor is a 3660 2700kv inrunner which is a bit of a beast!

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 08:34:48 pm »

It's a good job that you enjoy the drawing Chris, with these 'slight' alterations here and there.

It'll be another classy looking boat and a nicely modernised hull/superstructure combination.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 08:55:00 pm »

Yeah, I've had to alter the stringers on plan to suit the new shape which has meant redrawing all but one of the frames including the two additional ones. All part of the fun though!

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.