Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Edita - a 50cm long czeckeslovakian motor yacht  (Read 5845 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Edita - a 50cm long czeckeslovakian motor yacht
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 11:44:26 pm »

Not a huge amount done today, another coat of white on the hull, it soaks in a lot because it is balsa. Ply soaks it up less.
Also did a bit of filing on the windows, my spiralux saw cuts very accurately, but a little tidying is required due to pilot error😁
I also completed the rear bit of the cabin shown, no idea what it is called, but it stiffens up the cabin a good bit.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 11:49:12 pm »

I also completed the rear bit of the cabin shown, no idea what it is called, but it stiffens up the cabin a good bit.

Hmm, how about 'stretcher'?

Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 12:07:15 am »

Hi Ray, it could be, I dont think I have come across any mention of what it is on any plans I have seen. I will check the Edita plan and see if it gives the Czech name of it.
I am happy with how it is coming on, its a nice looking shape, not sure how it will perform as a planing hull, with the brushless motor, the hull curves up significantly at the stern. Will give it a go though, I can always fit a 380 brushed motor or even my geared quadcopter motor that I tried in Rorqual, it would be fine for cruising about, I needed extra speed for Rorqual though.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2021, 12:10:35 am »

I had a look at the plan, the correct name is..... number 32. Lol

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2021, 12:14:50 am »

I had a look at the plan, the correct name is..... number 32. Lol

{-) {-) {-)
... love it  :}

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2021, 01:01:53 am »

This is a boat I would like to build a man sized version of, but it would have to be pretty big, enough to at least allow me to fit in the forward cabin for a cuppa. 😁
 That means it would probably need to be about 4 feet from keel to forward cabin roof level. A fair bit bigger than what I have tackled so far, but within most people's ability, if you can build a model, you can build a full size one.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2021, 01:07:44 am »

I have been wondering why Edita is called a motor yacht, when it doesnt have any sails?
I did sit my tiny Starlet mast and sail above the front cabin to see how it looked, rather nice actually, but not having a weighted keel, it would just keel over in a wind.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2021, 06:44:23 am »

Hi Andy, the "gentlemans yacht" would have had sails 100 years back but gradually the move was made to just an engine (or two) as they needed less crew to operate them. 

Gentlemen then wore the peaked caps and crew wore the "Rupert the Bear" ones.  And Hey, having an engine was just like driving his car so he could dress up in Blazer and flannels and emulate the upper classes with no sign of sweaty armpits from pulling up sails.

As an aside have you ever wondered why there used to be so many model yachting ponds?  At the turn of the 1900's with the king interested in sailing and his German cousin very much in competition with him, the middle classes tried to copy and so the various classes of model yachts was started.  This was so they could have races with the afore mentioned "gentleman" dressed as desribed. 

They would have a Commodore of the club and various Officers etc.  These chaps would each have a "little man" who was paid to make the model yacht and sail her gaining a financial bonus for winning but the "Cup" going to the owner. 
If you carefully peruse the old photos you will see what I mean, however after the depression of 1926 29 the money vanished from the sport but the little men continued proving that a public school education in the Classics does not equate to a meal ticket.  WW2 brought much more equality and so the many skills learned before and after the conflict gave rise to much of the modelling we see today.
It is a shame these skills are now dwindling so more power to the elbow Andy!
best regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2021, 08:10:27 am »

Hi ignore Rupert the bear, should have been Christopher Robin.
Roy

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2021, 08:27:45 am »

Rupert Bear wore a more colourful jacket and trousers outfit (if I remember correctly)  O0

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2021, 08:37:27 am »

Hi Zooma I learned to read with Rupert T B in the Daily Express.  Then Beano and Dandy.  We as an age group were largely ignored until the Puffin books came along I used to get a new one every week from my dad.
Roy

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2021, 08:56:20 am »

Those were the days Roy!

I used to get a Rupert T B Annual every Christmas when I was younger and I had a Beano comic every week for more years than I feel comfortable admitting to......but it all came to an end sometime in my junior school days.....sadly Biffo and Rupert had to carry on without my support sometime in the late 50's........

Stay safe,

Bob.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2021, 11:40:29 pm »

After flipping my Rorqual, I have realised these motors are too much for the size range of boats I have, I have still to try them on 7.4v instead of 11.1v but they may still be too much. Edita may get a 380 brushed motor. I dont think it was intended for high speed planing anyway. It should still be fairly brisk on a 380 and 7.4v lipo, its a very light boat.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2021, 12:11:06 am »

Two coats of matt white, ready for a sand and a couple of gloss white topcoat. I have the radio all fitted. Hitec Hs80 mini servo, wltoys v262 motor and gearbox. I tried it in the Rorqual, not enough for Rorqual (speedy looking boat) , but it might be ok for sedate cruising with Edita

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 10:05:40 pm »

Edita has been launched. I am quite happy with how fast it goes,not tearing about, but not slow. The quadcopter's tiny motor and gearbox are a bit loud though. I could add a brushless but I wouldnt be wanting it much faster, just quieter.
 Its a nice looking little boat, steers very well. Cabin is matt white just now, I was going to paint it gloss white to match the hull.
 I used 27mhz radio, it is still terrible, getting my 2.4ghz in it for next outing.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 10:06:44 pm »

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 01:05:18 pm »

Looks great and speed looks realistic not excessive. Like the lines of this one. See what you mean about the sound level!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 03:26:03 pm »

Edita has been launched. I am quite happy with how fast it goes,not tearing about, but not slow. The quadcopter's tiny motor and gearbox are a bit loud though. I could add a brushless but I wouldnt be wanting it much faster, just quieter.
 Its a nice looking little boat, steers very well. Cabin is matt white just now, I was going to paint it gloss white to match the hull.
 I used 27mhz radio, it is still terrible, getting my 2.4ghz in it for next outing.

That is just the right size of boat for that lovely little stretch of water - perfect!

The quadcopter motor is a bit noisy though - maybe something like an inexpensive 380 turning a bigger prop more slowly would work as well but make no noise?

Nice work - well done - Edita is a nice little model.

Enjoy your weekend Andy.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2021, 07:02:33 pm »

Thanks guys, I think I should keep the quadcopter motors for the quadcopters. I like the speed, I think that suits it perfectly. I know I could make it ballistic with the brushless, but I intended it to be a cruiser, not a speedboat.
Still have windows to fit etc, but really dont forsee any water getting in the windows unless its raining.
I quite like the kind of creamy look of the matt white cabin, the hull is whiter than white.
Takes me ages to think of good colour scheme I am happy with.
Glad I have had a sail with it, I will use 2.4ghz next time so I can venture a bit further away without glitches. I will leave the quad motor unit in there just now, I can put up with a bit of noise, I used to use a Merco 61 for my boats.... With a straight through pipe. That was real noise! I will change to a quieter motor setup soon.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2021, 09:36:45 pm »

She looks good on the water Andy and the speed suits it too.
The only thing that you could rectify at some point is the noise, otherwise, very nice.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2021, 01:25:36 am »

Easiest fix would be earplugs. Lol.
I had it out again earlier, this time with 2.4ghz radio. Much better, I was able to motor about without any glitches.
It was starting to get dark and I thought that
I should fit some cabin lighting and maybe a spotlight

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2021, 06:59:21 pm »

Not paid this little model much attention recently, still a fair bit to do, if I want to, no rush, just plodding away at it when I get the urge.
I did 3d print a nice little outboard for it, I will need to make up a bracket to attach it to the transom.
Would the outboard be fitted on the centreline if it was a spare/emergency engine.?
The prop is mounted loose enough to hopefully spin in the water it as it goes along

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2021, 07:27:46 pm »

Most aux outboards I've seen
are on the Starboard side of the
Transom. Never behind the main
drive.
Ned
An afterthought, it's easier if it's to Starboard
if you are right handed.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2021, 09:37:48 pm »

I did think that, although I am sure I have seen some on the port side of yachts? Might just be my imagination.

The reason I was thinking of the centreline was mainly for symmetry, and to put the freewheeling outboard prop right in the actual propwash. In reality it would be lifted out of the water anyway unless it was being used?

It could, of course, be an outboard powered cruiser, that would be a good reason for sitting it on the centreline. If it looked too little for a boat that size.... Just print another one, or two?
No rush to decide on anything finally. Thats what I love about my projects, I have a few on the go at once and can pick which one I want to work on depending on how I feel or material availability.
I will print another outboard and see how Edita looks with one on it, then with a pair fitted.

If I end up going for just one, the other one can always be used on something else, maybe on a tender for my Sea Rover. I might just print a batch of them. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2022, 05:50:57 pm »

After trying this little boat with a very small but very noisy quadcopter motor and gearbox, I set it aside till I found a good motor for it in my collection. The boat performed quite well with that setup, but the motor wasnt up to the job. I had also broken the prop during storage. These only come with a propshaft so I have taken one off another propshaft. I could 3d print one, but these have a smoother surface. And quite thin blades.
 Anyway, I have now made up a simple stand to stop this happening again.
 I found a 380 size motor and fitted it using home made coupling. It works well and was free, love it😁
 I also made up a cover for the open well area to prevent any splashes reaching the radio. As I havent fitted the windows yet, the cover wasnt really essential but painted matt black it looks better than seeing the wiring etc.
 I also added a few cleats and a towing loop, to tow my new 3d printed tender, a nicely shaped little craft that turns out to be very good under tow, not a drop of water on board after looking like it was sure to be swamped in the wake.
 Oars are kebab stick and 1/64 ply.
 Edita is an enjoyable little boat, bearing in mind that all the wood was recycled (peeled off carefully) from an aircraft wing, so very cheap build. The motor was from my collection of dead power tool motors. People give me stuff when the batteries die. 😁

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.