Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tramp Steamer RC  (Read 3695 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tramp Steamer RC
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 11:09:28 pm »

Thanks so much for the great input gentlemen  :-)) ..... my poor head is swimming as to what to do.  Ok, lets give you an update on what I have done so far.  I added some rubber packing under the bottom of the motor and under the metal strap.  The motor needs to go "down" in order to get better alinement with the shaft I have now.  By tightening the strap down with that packing, it did force the motor down and she does run a bit smoother, so I know I'm getting better alinement.  The problem is now on the other end of the shaft, where the prop is.  The prop has no set screw, so I have to snug the outer nut in order to get enough friction for the prop to spin.  Actually, the nut wants to thread itself off the shaft.. not good.  The end of the shaft is threaded and the prop does lightly thread itself onto the shaft, which helps.  The prop is not brass, its pot metal cast.  Came with the kit.   The prop has a shaft ID of 4mm, same as the shaft.  The motor shaft is 3mm.  So, I had to get a coupling that was a 3mm/4mm.  The prop is 35mm dia. and is very shallow pitched.  I think the motor is spinning that prop counter clockwise.. so does that make it a left hand pitch prop?  I want to replace it with a proper 4 bladed brass prop, maybe 50mm.  The appeture will easily handle that size prop.  My transmitter is a pistol type, so the trigger is the throttle, if I am easy on the finger pressure, I can really slow the spin down.  On a new prop, do they have set screws, or do I have to tighten with a washer and nut?  Or, if the fit is tight enough, I can force thread the prop to the shaft and that will help.  Am I making any sense?  I'm really sorry for bugging you folks with this, but I am really brain dead, but I'm learning.    Yes, I can get a short shaft to make an extension, move the motor back on its wood support rails, add another coupling of the same as what I am using now, to help achieve better alignment, was hoping not to have to do that.  The motor I have is a 550 Titan 12T (better suited for electric cars)... its probably not the best match for what I am trying to do.  It didn't break the bank, so I'm will to give it a try in order to get out on the water and replace it later, or maybe I'm being foolish here and should go ahead and replace it with a better match?   {:-{   Dennis

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 12:58:49 am »

If the prop screws onto the shaft, a lock nut should be sufficient to stop it unwinding.   I have never been a fan of cast fittings and plastic props are reasonably priced.  Over the years I have acquired a few plastic props for 'trial and error' before investing in brass ones.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 09:48:33 am »

hi ya there Dennis,

I am just trying to work out whether you have the locknut that is on the end of the propeller in the wrong place?   Normally, the locknut is put on first on the prop shaft and then screw the prop on to the locknut.  Thus, allowing to adjust the gap clearance between the end of the prop tube and the locknut prop.

The other thing is, I would strongly suggest moving the motor further back and adding an intermediate shaft between the motor and the inboard part of the propshaft to allow better alignment.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 11:16:40 am »

Looking at this picture, I assume the bore of the propeller goes through the boss and is completely threaded, the nut is to retain the prop when it goes in reverse, ideally, is the prop at the end of the threaded part of the shaft and the nut is then tight up against the prop, if so it just needs to be really tight to prevent the prop walking off the shaft when it is rotating so the prop moves off the thread, a washer between the hull and the prop prevents water being pushed up the tube and reduces friction between the end of the tube and the prop, if the thread of the shaft extends into the tube then remove the brass bush at the motor end and get the prop up at the end of the thread, it will stop the prop from trying to walk up the shaft to the motor.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 02:26:15 pm »

Hi I agree the locknut goes on first and then the prop.
Roy

RST

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 04:12:08 pm »

Jumping back a bit a 12 turn motor sounds really fast. What might be better in an RC car. I know different places round the world prefer different motors but fairly sure as far as car motors are concerned they're using things like 80 turn motors. That will help your conundrum on high rpm an awful lot and current drain also I'd have thought but I'm not familiar with buggy motors so not sure. I tend to always go for 5 pole slower revving types from the likes of MFA Como drills wherever possible. I echo previous comments regarding the prop also.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 04:32:24 pm »

hi there, just gone back through this thread to try and locate any name on the motor so we could google the motor and find out the specs - I have noted it has a fan on the back end - and that normally indicates a very amp thirsty 'high revving motor' not very good for the application it is in at the moment.    I suspect it will be something in the region of 15,000 rpm on about 7.5 volts.  That is what I suspect - and - if so - it may be far too fast for this type of model.   Unless the gentleman want this particular tramp steamer to break the water speed record. %% %% %%

3785 Titan 12T Motor(12-Turn 550sz) | Superstition Hobbies

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 07:28:33 pm »

Thanks gentlemen.  Ok, I agree, I should change out this motor, it is too fast turning for what I need.  I found the MFA Como 5 pole.. it is a bit smaller in dia than what I have now.. that should actually help with alignment, as the motor will drop down and be more in straight align with the shaft.  I noticed on the website I visited for that MFA motor than I can get a noise suppression model.  Is that what  I should do, or does it make any difference?  The motor shaft needs to be 3mm or it won't work with the coupling I have.  Wiring coming from the motor needs to be 12 gauge and I will have to get the same connectors that are coming from my ESC.. hoping I can get the wiring from the motor company?   As for the prop, I order two plastic 4 bladed props that will have 4mm ID hole and are 50mm in size.  set comes with CW and CCW pitch... not expensive and will be a good test.  Again, I'm trying not to have to replace my shaft.  I think I have enough length to add a washer.... placing the nut "before" the prop makes no sense to me, what is to keep the prop from unscrewing itself... length of shaft prevents me from placing two nuts on either side of the prop... that would secure it for sure.  My mind is blown.  {:-{   Dennis

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 08:00:04 pm »

I think you will find that the smaller motor has a shaft diameter of 2.3mm which is pretty standard for this type so you would need to modify/replace your coupling.

Colin

RST

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 08:05:21 pm »

I think 3.2mm is pretty standard for 500/600 motors. 2.3mm is more normal for 380/385/400 motors.

....sorry Colin, that duplicated a bit what you said.

Rich

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 08:30:46 pm »

Again, I'm trying not to have to replace my shaft.  I think I have enough length to add a washer.... placing the nut "before" the prop makes no sense to me, what is to keep the prop from unscrewing itself... length of shaft prevents me from placing two nuts on either side of the prop... that would secure it for sure.  My mind is blown.  {:-{   Dennis
If the prop is tight against the nut then friction keeps it from unscrewing. One problem with white metal props is getting it tight enough as the internal thread will deform and may strip. A brass nut is best against the shaft bearing for wear purposes, white metal is too soft for this. The best way of holding the prop is to use threadlock, you must use the blue version as this can be broken easily, the red version is too permanent and the prop would become fixed on the shaft.My Tsekoa II uses the original white metal props with the nut followed by the prop and they are still tightly fixed on the shaft. (No threadlock needed)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 12:15:44 am »

As far as the 2.3mm shaft diameter there is a close fitting brass tube which is a push fit and brings it up to 3mm.  Assuming the connector has a grub screw to locate it this will clamp the tube in place as well.
Roy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2021, 07:07:06 am »

I exchanged my fast turning motor for a Oxial AX24007  540 size motor that is slower turning with good torque.  I installed and bench tested... runs much smoother now.  Awaiting parts ordered.  I'm thinking that I will mount the ESC and receiver inside the super structure.. about deck level.  Idea being that I will couple the power to ESC and be able to turn system on before I place the super structure onto the deck.   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2021, 09:18:32 pm »

Dear Folks,
Sri for the long delay between posts.  For physical reasons, I had to take a break.  Old age sort of stuff.  I'm back at it and really not too far before I sail her for the first time.  Installed new, larger four bladed prop, servo and linkage installed and hooked up. Battery tray made and installed.  All electronics powered up and working fine now.  Have still do final install recvr and ESC into the super structure, will use velcro strips epoxied in to hold the recvr and ESC in place and still be able to remove.  I want those components up high in case of any leaks while running.  I still have to run test in my bath tub to check for leaks in stuffing boxes.   I have been enjoying all the other posts on projects in this forum.  Build on!   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 11:43:58 pm »

Just a quick question.  I'm considering adding a  "smoker" unit to my Tramp Steamer" Can anyone recommend a small unit that will work with my model.  Tks,  Dennis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.