Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New home workshop  (Read 4013 times)

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New home workshop
« on: March 24, 2021, 10:09:48 pm »

Well it finally happened. After a year of working from home my wife has had enough of having me around all day and also carrying out my modelling activities on the dining room table. It was suggested that I build a separate home office/workshop in the garden.

I live on a hill and although I have a fairly large garden there are no flat areas that I could construct a suitable building. I spent 3 days digging out and then spent another day getting the area completely flat for the base. The cabin is 12ft x 8ft. It is double glazed with 44mm thick walls together with an insulated floor and roof, so that it can be used all year round.

So far, I have spent 2 days assembling the timber and am quite pleased with the progress. The roof is on but there is still a fair way to go to get it completely finished.

Work will resume on Saturday with insulation, floorboards, roof shingles, doors, painting and electricity supply to be completed.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: New home workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 03:02:57 am »

Nice  :-))

I have a small garage workshop, if I could share a couple of tips.
I put benches and everything else on wheels, allowing me to reconfigure the workshop. I can move the main bench into the center of the floor so that I can move around a workpiece if needed.
I made all cupboards and benches as narrow as possible, to give more floor space. My paint/chemicals cupboard is only 300mm deep, and I still lose things at the back. My main bench is only 800mm deep, and I make cabinets; for modeling 400mm could be enough.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 03:51:50 am »

Looks good - where did you find this style?
We have the Panabode style here (my son lives in one) but they don't have additional insulation.
One has the wood inside finish.

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 10:22:42 am »

The cabin is made by a company called Dunster House here in the UK and is the Carsare model. I like the suggestion of having the workbench on wheels to provide all round access (I will have to give that idea some thought). My initial plan was to have the bench at the back opposite the double doors and a desk in front of the window with a storage cupboard behind in line with the bench.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 03:49:18 pm »

You're so lucky - it’s going to be so quiet around the dining table when your wife moves into her new room  {-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 03:50:00 pm »

Because your roof has an apex, you probably have enough room for some overhead storage for materials too.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 04:01:44 pm »

You might want to think about positioning of the workbench in relation to natural light. If you are working in your own shadow then you could need supplementary lighting. I assume there isn't a rooflight/skylight but would it be possible to put one in? It could make a big difference.

Colin

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 03:41:12 pm »

Nice looking Workshop.
If it is not too late may I suggest putting your electricity sockets above Bench Level. I have one at that height and should have put more up there. It makes it easier to swap over appliances. I have a light, hand held drill and sander that I swap over. The alternative is ending up crawling under benches to swap plugs around.

John

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 09:03:47 pm »

Lighting and electricity supply are certainly in my thoughts at the moment and I agree that high level sockets are a must have. I am looking at having a central 3 spot fitting and a fourth single spot over the bench. I am also seeking a durable paint for the outside walls. Any recommendations?

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 09:15:25 pm »

Paint always conjures up pictures maintenance to me in the long term.

Personally I would look at wood oils that can be topped up annually
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 10:29:47 pm »

Am with Andy on that one I use Danish oil great stuff and so easy to apply will soak into the end grain come in lots of shades now  I like clear. you can even just put it on with a cloth rubber.
             Regards Howard.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 10:32:22 pm »

Actually quite sensual/theraputic applying oil with a cloth. Paint always seems to flake need sanding priming etc etc  {:-{

Osmo is worth a google
ANDY

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 11:19:27 pm »

I have used Osmo door oil on my internal doors and was well pleased with the results. I never thought of using a similar product outdoors but will definitely have a look.

Thanks for the tip.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 11:34:43 pm »

A great pleasure and whatever you choose in the end will be your choice  :-))  a very nice quality unit  O0

I first encountered OSMO while building a classic model following in the footsteps of Dave Milbourn R.I.P.

I wanted to be different and the stain and finish I chose worked very well for me and Dave agreed as he used the same on his last Fairey I believe

I think between us we established that the best option was to apply by brush and finish with cloth.
ANDY

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 01:03:10 pm »

Just another option for the external finish, this stuff is not cheap but I've found it very good.  :-))

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 01:29:44 pm »

I am also building myself a workshop, but am a little behind you.  My cabin arrives in late May.  I bought one from Tuin.  They recommend Carefree as the treatment for their cabins.  Again, not cheap and they suggest two or three coats, but it is water based so easy to apply and clean up.  They also urge you to make sure you cover the bits behind the window and door frames so that any movement of the wall logs does not expose untreated wood.  If you are able to remove the frame surrounds when you are applying the treatment that is a good thing to do.

I will be watching with interest to see what you decide on the fitting out.

Happy building!

Greg

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 05:13:57 pm »

My new cabin is very similar to yours but comes from Skinners. The base should go in next Wednesday with the cabin the following week. I have been advised to coast it immediately with Protec royal exterior treatment, a water based preservative then follow up with a couple of coats of whatever colour she decides. That again will be a Protec paint, again not cheap. I intend to use it more as a store room as I have an existing workshop that gets smaller by the day. I shall build a small wheeled workbench but intend to shelve the whole cabin out so that my boats can live in there. I should use the new one as workshop but don’t think I would live long enough to transfer all the equipment over.

Martin

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 10:57:28 pm »

I thought you might like to see how my home workshop finally turned out. It has become my office/hobby room and is home to my ham radio equipment, model railway and of course my model boats. It is great to have a dedicated space to enjoy my hobbies and also occassionally to do some work. The best bargain of the build was the fitted office cupboards and work surfaces that I picked up from an Ebay auction for 99p!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.