Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home made tools  (Read 5733 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Home made tools
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 03:11:14 am »

I have a 2000w brushless I was thinking about and a polesaw which has a very small bar, dont think I would be trusting hotglue tho. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 06:02:26 pm »

Home made hot wire foam cutters, using wire from a new heater elemen. Variable heat device shown.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 10:43:12 am »

well i needed a steady rest for my lathe, so i drew one up in cad and then printed it out.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 04:31:34 pm »

Nice, what filament is it made from? Here are a couple of my 3d printed tools, on the mini vice, I had to use a bolt ground down to right shape and a threaded insert to get it working nice. And an o ring in grooves to open it up.
Also shown are a couple more sanding devices I made last night.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 04:53:46 pm »

its made from abs filament, i have modified it to mk2 already with those back nuts set into the part as captured nuts, this allows the tool holder a lot closer in to the body of the rest.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 05:00:10 pm »

Can I ask what printer you have?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 05:12:51 pm »

yes I have the daVinci Ai0s printer

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2020, 01:32:22 pm »

I take it the sliding parts touch your workpiece? I wondered if ballraces could be added to the ends of them to save wearing the abs? I know you can print new ones if required but ballraces would save you having to replace these.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2020, 03:36:39 pm »

I could use ball races, but that would restrict the capacity, the ABS jaws cost mere pence and can quite quickly be replaced

RST

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2020, 08:45:23 pm »

Liking the 3-D printed stuff!  I just got my printer back working though I'm still a rank amateur.  Made a waterline marker yesterday -never needed one before:  just always used a wooden block and masking taped a pencil to it but I must admit for the cost of about 15p of filament it turned out rather nice for a 10min doodle on tinkercad...

RST

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2020, 10:01:21 pm »

My sander works OK but I applaud the paint shaker.

I wouldn't clap too quick.  Shaker works OK but is obviously dependent since on how many times you've used the toothbrush attachment in the first place.  It either works OK and quite vigorius, or some kind of internal gear gets overriden and it rattles and does nothing.  Suggest the end brush part is replaced each time it has no real-use and is re-purposed without too much effort: i.e. no clever parts, just tape it up enough for it to work (and if it rattles loose theres no chance the lid can come off).  It seems not good enough for an old brush to last very long.  I've been looking long enough for a cheap milk frother to change to a paint mixer but not come across one anywhere yet.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 01:16:52 pm »

. 50 cal pens, these print well and take a standard bic pen inner. Also earphone holder and a nice centre finder.

RST

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 11:22:21 pm »

I think I have peaked and this is the maximum self output during 14 weeks lock-down, it just gets worse and rougher everything I try to do.  I give you, paint shaker mark II, the electric toothbrush went back to the bathroom where it belonged.  Shame I can't post a video, it works amusingly well so far though: 

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 11:55:18 pm »

Neat  :-)

I could do with a rattle can rattler  O0
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2020, 12:09:15 am »

Very neat, what about a marble or ball bearing in the tin of paint?
Roy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2020, 02:52:51 am »

Some of my humbrol paints are too thick to move with a ball bearing, I usually mix white spirit in with a cocktail stick.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 02:56:22 am »

Then throw the painty cocktail stick in the general direction of my stove, to be used as kindling later. Lol. Wife never comes in my shed, just stands at the door shaking her head😁 theres quite a few balsa shavings around the floor too. Lol.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2020, 11:02:31 am »

Some of my humbrol paints are too thick to move with a ball bearing, I usually mix white spirit in with a cocktail stick.

Thinning down Humbrol!! It's already too damn thin nowadays IMHO, not a patch on what it once was. I've stopped buying it, just using up the odds & ends I've got laying about.

And what gives with the drying time for Humbrol now, they used to boast about being touch dry in an hour & recoat in 3, even less for matt. Nowadays it's touch dry in about 24 hrs and recoat in 3 days, if you're lucky

Mind you Revell acrylics seem thin & short on pigment now too..

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2020, 05:01:23 pm »

Mine are mostly older ones, hence the thickness, and requirement for thinning. I have a few new ones so O know what you mean about drying times.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2021, 06:21:45 pm »

This one is not boat related but still a home made tool. I had to hold the bike off the ground while I worked on the rear suspension, so I made a stand to fit under the footrest brackets, it is wood, but still proved to be plenty strong enough when braced in the right places. Not sure how much a 'proper' one would be, my version was free. Sorted. 😁

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2021, 05:26:43 pm »

similar to a racing stand, but in wood. The foot rests I had were rigid and hollow and my stand fitted inside them. Just like a side stand. nemesis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.