Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: create wooden deck colour  (Read 1179 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
create wooden deck colour
« on: March 28, 2021, 04:22:47 pm »

Hi all, wonder if anyone has a pet method of turning mint condition wood decks into the rather more sort of grey washed out as seen on warships.

Bob
I will finish this model

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: create wooden deck colour
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 05:41:16 pm »

Is the material you are using wood which needs ‘aging’ or plastic painted with a brown paint to simulate wood?
In plastic models I’ve used a base brown colour and used a ‘wash’ from AK Interactive which stains the colour with pigment.
On wood I’ve used varnish with grey paint dribbled in to dull it down but that is very experimental and requires trial and error until you are happy with the effect before doing it to the model itself.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 05:51:33 pm »

There are also grey wood stains available, in various d-i-y stores, which can be thinned to a 'wash'. As already suggested (above) best to try out on test pieces first.

Ray.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 09:40:41 pm »

Thanks for replies, thought best way to explain is with couple of images, Nick it is real wood.

Bob

I will finish this model

Ardnave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 11:55:20 pm »

I have used watercolour pencils, of various light shades, along with a white chinagraph pencil, to shade in individual planks, then matt varnish over. The white gives a more washed out look. (1:48 model)
I originally made up a bit of test decking, (planks drawn on), and found that its quite easy to control the effect using the pencils.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:11:00 am »

hi there

A method I have used for staining decks of models is - the old tea bag & coffee method.  When you have finished the tea from the teapot - put what is left in the teapot in a bowl.  Squeeze the teabags so you get a dark mixture in the bottom, then, if you require you can require a bit of instant coffee in that mixture to darken it a bit more.  I then paint it on my decks (normally takes 2 or 3 coats as it sinks in).   Allow each coat to dry - but - between coats give a little rub down with some very fine sandpaper just to knock off the furry edges from the planks.  If you want to dark or lighten any areas - just add a bit clear water to your brush, go over the area that you want lighting and on the other hand if you want to darken it down mix a thick mixture of coffee and then paint that on the area of the deck that you want to darken down.  Allow a few days for it to dry and give it 2 or 3 coatings of either flat varnish or satin varnish.   Personally I used Humbrol enamel paints for sealing but, make sure that you cover it well.   

Couple of examples here:
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 10:31:45 am »

This is actually a very interesting question as I've actually seen a new deck on USN North Carolina many years ago and it really was a nice teak color which will of course turn more silvery as time goes by so really you can chose what you want.

Whether to weather a deck is a much more difficult decision as modelling convention typically show decks a light beige color which shows off the planking. On my Iron Duke I used teak which has given it a medium brown whereas on Invincible its beige which in my opinion emphasizes the model rather better.

Weathering on any model is a difficult thing, in the past I have used real rust by the anchor chains - iron filings in water and that stains quite well. At the moment I tend not to weather my models out of personal choice as its difficult to get just right. If a ship has seen a lot of service the paint is often paired off the bows but if after a refit its pristine!

I'm also very interested in trying to simulate planking on a large yacht 63" with a deck that has been painted beige and am not sure how to proceed.

Cheers

Geoff

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 02:59:17 pm »

I think guys you should consider what period you are modelling, last war all major ships painted their wooden decks medium grey, peace time depends on the vessel's !'st Lieutenant, if he is fuzzy it will be holystoned and washed on a regular basis, but yep its a question good luck with your teak decks should imagine they were nigh on a greyish Wight after some period. How about very light grey paint watered down with water or paint thinner depending on what type you use. Seem to remember with pussers ships , they had two brows one on the quarter deck wooden patch for officers etc and a forward one on the steel deck for working crew, dockyard matte's and stores etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.