Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio control sticks  (Read 1387 times)

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
Radio control sticks
« on: March 28, 2021, 11:35:03 pm »

Hello,

Hope u are all well?
[size=78%] silly question but rather ask.. Ive got a stick with a fault in a control, was gona swap out with an a stick from older control but the frequency’s are different, does this matter? I don’t think it will because the sticks with pots are just altering resistance. But I don’t know for sure, does any1 have the insight?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Many thanks[/size]

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Radio control sticks
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:25:32 am »

There are no silly questions! :embarrassed:

Here is my silly answer!
Shouldn't matter. Certainly the frequency does not affect the pot.   
The vast majority of sticks use a pot as the sensor, and I think most of them are the same value (5K?  50K?)
It is possible that a "mature" Sanwa 27MHz radio might use a different pot value to a modren 2.4 giggle set but you can observe a lot just by looking, in the immortal words of Yogi Berra.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 04:26:53 am »

You can check the value of to pot, it will be written somewhere on it.  A local electronics supplier should have a similar one if you can get there in the lockdown.   Make sure you connect the wires the same way round.  I have even changed a rotary pot for a slider to get a different action

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 07:36:33 am »

That’s great, better to ask than guess.

In effect you could make your own control style if you wanted to remove two channels from one stick control, and install two sticks. That could be very help full. Thanks very much

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 07:39:21 am »

Next question, what manufacturers make individual sticks that are plug and play?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:49:54 am »

Next question, what manufacturers make individual sticks that are plug and play?
In round figures, O.  And that's as round as it gets.
In past times, some manufacturers of top end gear had the control pot assembly and switches plug into the board which allowed you to assign the individual control to whatever channel you wanted.  But it is much cheaper to just solder wires onto boards, and much less likely that users will mess that aspect up.
Dual axis and single axis assemblies were available from RS Components, but the prices tended to be eye-watering.  Not so much plug and play as re-solder and hope.  Also the consideration that the replacement assembly might not physically fit n the same mounts.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 12:52:52 pm »

FlySky sell replacement sticks for their transmitters,https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electronics/flysky-transmitter-spare-part-throttle-direction-gimbalthese are designed to plug into the main board on a FlySky transmitter so would probably need to be soldered onto others.
FrSky also stock replacement sticks for their sets but these seem to be all Hall effect sensors not pots so might need extra electronics to convert for older sets although they are given as plug in replacements for earlier non Hall sticks.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 07:14:14 pm »

Thanks guys, thought had it sorted but the Hall sensors has ruined me. I thought they were all pots.

RST

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 08:15:39 pm »

Mike at "Model Radio Workshop" might be able to help you out with appropriate parts. Contact details are on his website.

Rich

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 08:50:55 pm »

Thanks guys, thought had it sorted but the Hall sensors has ruined me. I thought they were all pots.
The FlySky sticks use pots not hall sensors.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:20 pm »

Thanks for all the help folk. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.