Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Go left  (Read 3082 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Go left
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 02:02:23 pm »

Yes, very brave to change a tyre on the hard shoulder, passenger were positioned a fair distance from the rear of the car and on the grass verge - just in case, but I was shielded by the car rear whilst removing / replacing it, with enough room to jump back if it looked like a collision was going to occur (though in all honesty that would have little effect).

I know some smart motorways dont have the grass verge bordering the inside lane, just a concrete wall, if you are in that position - i would assume you would feel like you were going to be smeared all over that wall in a collision
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

RST

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 07:14:09 pm »

I had an RAC call out after a garage botched a service a few years ago (my usual luck). I was chatting afterwards about changing a tyre in a layby the last time and got pointed out: why do it. Paying for RAC to do it so why do it yourself?  Must admit I never really thought about it, everyone should know how to do it -if you can you do it naturally. Thinking twice he was maybe right , certainly if there was any risk involved and of course not everyone is physically capable. I've never been convinced about the orange triangle thing but I carry high vis, spare shoes, warm jackets, torch, first aid kit etc if I ever have a breakdown or stop at an accident. I'm not sure I'd be happy with a flare or see much point. Having had lots of JDM cars they're already removed at importing, and not sure I'd be happy carrying one. I've always donned my high vis if I've had troubles (there's been a few), but suppose that's a carry over from too much HSE involvement over the years!

Someone I know was brutally killed fixing a tyre on the A9 by a Morrisons truck driver texting at the time.  I'm told that led to the push for the A9 average cameras.  I think they're a total con. I'm still overtaken by folk doing a ton then stuck behind them at 40 in a 60 for a few miles to balance it out. Bikers are the worst for it.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 04:02:56 am »

I don't know what the speed limit is on 'Smart' motorways but here in Victoria, if there is no hard shoulder it is 80 k's. or 50 mph. sometimes with stopping places on both sides if there are roadworks.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 10:49:15 am »

Our motorways are 70 mph except for the smart motorway sections where it drops to 60 mph, People have been "done" for speeding in the smart sections because they hadn't realised they had entered a smart section and were still doing 70 mph or more likely faster, if every one stuck to the speed limit there would be no need for overtaking but as we know if your traveling at the relevant speed limit you will be overtaken every two of three seconds, these days if I do have to use a motorway I find 60 is quite fast enough smart motorway or not.

Joe.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 12:50:22 pm »

I don't think so..............

That business about the limit being 60 on a 'smart' motorway may be true in some places but it definitely isn't on the M5, M4 and M42, m'ways which I know very well. The limits there are 70 mph unless it says otherwise on the overhead displays. And in the case of the M42 that's almost ALL the time as the stupid computer that decides the limit (no human intervention involved apparently  :o ) changes the limit up and down the whole time!, no matter how much traffic is on the road!  :((
Regards
Kit

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2021, 01:04:48 pm »

Yes you are quite right Kit, it is generally 70 , I was sure I'd heard it was 60 on smart sections somewhere but 60 will do for me

Joe

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2021, 01:42:10 pm »

The Manchester M60 'Smart' section from around Shaw in the North to Carrington in the south on the west side of the circular is usually 70 mph when off peak and changes anywhere down to 40 mph in some areas of high congestion, reducing on a rolling basis to the 'Bridge' over t'canal, fortunately there is a hard shoulder in the majority of areas with very few areas where the bridges remove the ability to have a shoulder i.e. at Irlam where the M62 heads west off the M60, from about 6 in the morning the section heading anti clockwise over Worsley seems to be constantly at 40 mph.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.