Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: When radio was king  (Read 5226 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
When radio was king
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:45:01 am »

A few days ago Greg (sailorgreg) mentioned "Around the horne" in another thread and it got me thinking of a time back in the fifties when I was around 13/14 years when the Radio was more than just music and news and before we had one of those new fangled Television sets and used to listen to the Radio, then I started to remember the series I never wanted to miss like The Goon show, The Navy lark. and the one me and my sisters would never miss "Journey into Space" even my mum would get the tea ready in time to sit down and listen to it, the four main characters Jet, Lemual, Mitch and Doc, played in the main by David Kossoff, Alfie Bass, David Jacobs and others I don't recall, I hadn't realised David Jacobs best known for Juke Box Jury, had such a diverse array of "voices" he played 22 characters throughout the whole series, and in I think 1960 we listened to Around The Horne and the Billy Cotton Band Show, so that's my trip down memory lane, there are quite a few old codgers like myself on Mayhem so what's your long gone Radio favourites.

Joe.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: When radio was king
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 12:07:14 pm »

For me it has to be Hancocks half hour  O0
Steamed up all the time

RST

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:09:03 pm »

I think journey into space has been re-running on r4 extra the last 6 months. I grew up listening to tapes of the goon show, navy lark and Hancock's half hour. Must know half the scripts by heart now.  There was a Val Doonican thing with Hattie Jacques I was listening to recently, though that seemed a bit weird and out of place now.

What's the show with the cheeky schoolkid with the squeaky voice?  I think that was played by an adult?

Theres loads of old shows to dig out between BBC website and YouTube.  I've been watching the faulty towere shows on Netflix also. There's just no decent comedy being pumped out nowadays.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 12:15:17 pm »

The Clthero Kid.  :-))
Steamed up all the time

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 12:29:52 pm »

You all used your imagination as well. nemesis

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 12:35:12 pm »

Ha yes little Jimmy Clithero ,   anther show came to mind Educating Archie with I think it was Peter Brough , I guess Radio was an easy gig for a ventriloquist  {-)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 12:47:44 pm »

I can probably pre date most stuff on radio , the home service, light programme, third programme. and of all the programmes over the years for me its Porridge , Open All Hours, the Two Ronnies but most of all Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (42)
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:57:45 pm »

Going back further ITMA  Tommy Handley through all of the 40's most of the  ones mentioned were much later and used a lot of the  style of ITMA  ie Julian and Sandy similar to Cecil  and Claude. On the goons my favourite was when Ray Ellington said something about being a Colour Sgt in the Black Watch %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 01:03:57 pm »

Educating Archie - Ugh!

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 01:20:35 pm »

"OH Eff"  Jimmy Edwards
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 01:42:38 pm »

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »

"OH Eff"  Jimmy Edwards

" OH  Ron! "

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 02:02:53 pm »

"Go on Eth take em off, no Ron I don't like to"   {-) {-)   Ron played by Ian Lavender I believe  stupid boy.  %%

Joe.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 02:15:11 pm »

Loved the Clitheroe Kid with Alfie Hall, Scraggy-neck, Beaky Billington and many others.

Come Easter 1964, all changed in radio with the arrival of the pirates, broadcasting from ships around the coast. The most popular, Radio Caroline still broadcasts on the internet and on DAB in some places. Their flashback station is good for lovers of music from 60s and 70s with a request programme on Tuesday night.

https://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 02:30:37 pm »

Educating Archie - Ugh!
For a 10 year old, plus or minus a bit, why??
Granted it featured the worlds greatest radio ventriloquist, but the artists who also got air time include Benny Hill, Julie Andrews, Max Bygreaves, Beryl Reid, Bernard Bresslaw, Harry Seacombe, Hattie Jaques and probably many others (not to be confused with Manny Others, a session saxophonist).  OK the scripts were naff, but rationing was still going on and times were hard, even if we didn't know it.

Journey into Space - the program that you listened to from the safety of behind the sofa.  And "The Day of the Triffids", which required you to be even further behind the sofa.  Especially when that Whitacker was about.
Fairly sure the "memorable piece from Take it from here was "Ohhhhh Ron" and was Joy Nichols to Dick Bentley, Jimmy Edwards being Pa Glum.
In many ways, radio had a lot over TV, as long as you were able to supply the pictures in your head.  The scenery was cheaper, as well.  Something like Hordes of the Things" would probably bust most budgets.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 03:13:46 pm »

Dad's Army   :-))

But as a kid, Capital Radio 194 ( London )
  Dave Cash, 'Cash on Delivery!', 'Ram Jam Rodigan', Kenny Everett, Graham Dene, Roger Scott, Greg Edwards Nicky Horne, ..... such memories ... sigh!   :-)

https://youtu.be/xKL-ea4dQUk

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 03:33:10 pm »

radio Luxembourg on the 'tranny' listening to the top 20 on a Sunday night.  Tranny seems to have a much different meaning these days :-)

Clitheroe kid  eeee aye - and we wont mention that MAN - hi there gals and guys - travels grrrrrr

Can anyone remember the programme that was broadcast for the troops based overseas on a Sunday - BBC - cant remember the name of the programme.

When we used to hear Sing Something Simple by the Adams singers we knew it was bath time and off to bed :-)

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 03:59:48 pm »

Two Way Family favourites Twixt London and Köln some times  even more  they included Aden once. They played one for us  first time I was aware they  ever mispronounced Place names to our disappointment.we were at Bir Fuqum

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 03:59:56 pm »

Can anyone remember the programme that was broadcast for the troops based overseas on a Sunday - BBC - cant remember the name of the programme.

Home and Away ?
Jean Metcalfe and Cliff Michelmore
Don't Assume Check

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 04:13:43 pm »

Workers Play Time.  Darn it I've got the theme tune going round in my head now  %%

Joe.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 04:41:47 pm »

Children's Favourites with Uncle Mac.... :o

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 05:11:23 pm »

Workers Play Time.  Darn it I've got the theme tune going round in my head now  %%

Joe.
I think that one they went one better than the radio ventriloquist.  They had a juggler.  Or it might have been an acrobat.  Mists of time.

In the early '70's, being in the trade that I was, and in Blackpool, entertainment centre of the civilised world, I fell into doing lineman liaison for outside broadcasts for couple of seasons.  2nd half of Monday mornings was the Reg Dixon show from the Tower Ballroom.  If you see a picture of it, looking toward the stage and the Mighty Wurlitzer, I used to have a hidey hole in the right hand column, first shelf up, along with the pair of BBC techs.  One of my fondest memories, bearing in mind it was a radio show, was Rosemary Squires in the full singers ball gown outfit.  Vince Hill, who did the intro and sang a few songs, was in pullover and slacks, script in one hand, other hand in pocket in case it was needed in a hurry.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 07:40:10 pm »

better still a magician  Anyway what about Dick Barton.  Music while you work the only place Deep in the heart of Texas was banned in case Workers  banged their workpieces or whatever.Although Glad All Over was removed from our Naafi jukebox for that reason Talk about todays Nanny State

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 07:58:29 pm »

Educating Archie - Ugh!

How did they get away with a Ventriloquist on the radio for so long ??    {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ [size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%] [/size]

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:42 pm »

Workers  banged their workpieces or whatever.Although Glad All Over was removed from our Naafi jukebox for that reason Talk about todays Nanny State

That really does bring back a memory! Back in Easter 1964 I was on a school ship cruise around the Med and back to Tilbury, ss Devonia, ex troopship (£49 for 2 weeks!). They used to play the latest hits on board including 'Glad All Over' by the Dave Clark Five. When it came to the 'Boom, Boom' bit everyone would jump up and down on the deck and the whole ship would shudder. In the Bay of Biscay the ship was moving around quite a bit in the rough seas and us kids would jump up and down but while jumping up the ship would often fall into a trough so a two feet jump up often resuilted in a rather greater distance down! I don't think any bones were broken though. Great days!

Colin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.