Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel Proofer For Acrylic paint  (Read 3637 times)

budlia

Fuel Proofer For Acrylic paint
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:59:32 pm »

I have always been happy with the results from Halfords range of Acrylic paints and would like touse them again for my current project,an i.c (nitro) offshore powerboat.
    I know unprotected nitro fuel will reak havoc with it! But does anyone know if there's a fuel proofer that will go safely on top of acrylic?

Thanks

Bud Lane

rcminiman

Re: Fuel Proofer For Acrylic paint
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:39:26 am »

Yep, and you wont believe me!
Try Water based varnish. Ronseal is the brand I use. Ronseal quick drying varnish is its full title. Look at the back of the tin, and see if the brush cleans with water.

I use it on my glow planes to seal the artists acrylic finishes. Works a treat.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:58:25 am »

The waterbased Ronseal may be OK for planes but several people on here, including me, have had problems with using it on hulls which are immersed in water. In particular it can peel off and can absorb water causing it to bloom. The received wisdom is to use the polyurethane variety which seems to go on OK over acrylic. It seems to be proof against most things but you'd need to test it for nitro. Whatever method you use, make up a test piece first!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:13 pm »

hi there Budlia

I have used a product called Flair to overcoat one or two of my models.   One which was painted with Tamiya Acrylic Paints - the product didnt seem to have any effect on the paint, but, what has been suggested i.e. to try it out on a test piece before spraying the model.  This finishing product I have found can withstand some hard knocks without flaking or cracking.

http://flairmodels.co.uk/Finishing/Spectrum.htm

Hope this is of some help.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:02:14 pm »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh forgot to add to my last posting... what I did with the can of Flair was - stand the canister in a dish of warm water for 15 minutes before I used it and then I found I achieved a better finish on the model.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

budlia

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:53:17 pm »

Thanks to all for replies! the Flair paints seems just the ticket, and I have since found out that a model shop 20 minutes away stocks the complete range. Definately a test piece first though!

I use Halfords acrylic paints and Ronseal varnish for the deck and sprayed the lot with Flair fuel proofer and it all looks great! fuel just runs of it without effect although I do wash it down with warm soapy water as well.

Thanks once again

Bud Lane

ABRAD

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:52:18 am »

Flair also do satin clear for all those that don't want a over shiny finish (battle ships and the like)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.