Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Beninda" Australian prawn trawler  (Read 3831 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
"Beninda" Australian prawn trawler
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:17:09 am »

Hi there, this is the 2nd model just completed ..."Beninda" she was a Bert Beattie design , she is 50' x 15' 8" ( 16.5' outer sponsons) x 6' 6". She was built at Byron Bay in 1977 by Neville Mason & Ian Berry ( the owner), she worked from Brunswick Heads till about 1983 when she was sold ,now still work along the East Coast north of Brisbane.With this model I was able to obtain plans off Ian ,but only side and plan view no lines drawings but he supplied me with about 120 photo's of the build so I was able to get the shape of her as close as I could, also built to the scale of 1:16, she is constructed of Ply ,Tassy Oak , Beech & Bolly gum, cheers.
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Beninda" Australian prawn trawler
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 05:07:13 pm »

Hi Brian where have you been - oops silly question where I guess the answer is nowhere just like the rest of us  {-)

This looks like another fantastic build   :-))   I’m looking forward to your updates. These trawlers are such nice looking boats. Good to have you back!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:34:36 pm »

That is a brilliant piece of woodwork, you have a fantastic skill. I will certainly be following you build, my woodwork looks like I have cut it with a bread knife  O0
Steamed up all the time

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:40:06 pm »

Morning BB....from the lines, I assume both original Trawlers were steel plated builds?.... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:06:55 am »

Hi BB - which part of the build is 'bolly gum'? As a guess I'm going for the keel?

Ray.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:06:10 am »

Hi guys , yep been missing in action , in the dungeon ( No not the whips and chain dungeon the sawdust one  O0 ) the 1/8" planking on the "Beninda" is the bolly gum , "Northern-Light" had bits and pieces of it through the build as she was planked with the 2 mm limewood, all the stems ,keel and deadwoods are of the Tassy oak ( bit slack should have stated all that start of each build).
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 05:47:33 am »

Hi there, all the beech ribbing installed, then she was planked with the Bolly gum, with the stringer knees in both builds they are from  old chairs made in Malaysia its a slightly yellow colour like a semi hard wood  nice to work with (has a bit of a gun powdery smell to it when cutting it on bandsaw ???) .I pre fitted all the deck beams prior to painting the inside of the hull then installed them ( some times you get smarter as you get older , some times I said :) ) cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 10:56:17 am »

Hi there, first up showing the 2 models beside each other, just finished giving the "Beninda" a coat of resin inside her hull , then slow tedious job of brushing the white undercoat inside her, then after the white gloss was sprayed installed the pre fitted deck beams. Then fitting the lift out deck sections, then with the propellers, re shaped the Roboesch props for both models, took a bit of blade area off , "Beninda" prop 70 mm and the "Northern-Light" prop  55 mm,   cheers  :-)) ..
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 01:58:22 pm »

Lovely work Brian its a real pleasure to see these two coming together  :-)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 10:15:24 am »

Hi there , thanks Mark T, probably everyone is getting sick of my builds the photo sections are pretty much the same just different shaped models. Pre fitting the 919D  6:1 red  motor to shaft line. Skimming down the underside of the deck ply prior to the limewood deck strips being laid with the black cardboard between each seam. Only got caught twice breaking planking each time a slight knot in the wrong spot. cheers :-)) ...
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 01:28:01 am »

Hi there, this next section of photo's are. Shaping the bottom scupper plank across the stern ( couldn't live without my Dremil & file saw , oops and the wife ), planked the bulwarks with the 2 mm Limewood , also used the limewood on the capping side strip, and the raise deck bulwarks same Tassy oak  but used the 2mm ply instead of planking. cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 11:14:30 am »

Hi there, First photo, preparation for the raise deck bulwarks which will run backs just behind aft of the w-house, next 3 photo's working on the raise deck bulwarks, then capping rails  all attachedStart of the w-house, bit of a selection of ply, beech and walnut. Cheers  :-)) ...
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 10:28:07 am »

Hi there, All these photo's of the w-house ,using  2mm ply for outside skin, and cutting out the side awnings using the Dremil and touching up with the file saw, cheers,  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 10:44:43 am »

Hi There, these next lot of photo's start with the sorting tray bins for both models, side awnings attached to the w-house so as it all lifts off in one piece. Working on the main gantry and her A frame, soldering the A frame ladders for both models, working on lugs and pivoting sections for the trawl arms, and the last shot picked up some school prawn from a friend that works the Clarence River, small but tasty, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 12:55:56 pm »

Yours is an amazing build. Rugged to say the least. The wood work is stunning.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 03:26:31 pm »

Yours is an amazing build. Rugged to say the least. The wood work is stunning.

I have to agree - those joints look like they would stay together without glue they are that accurate.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 03:34:44 pm »

Cripes  %%  Where did the monster prawns come from?!!!!

Never apologise for putting up more images of your exquisite carpentry skills Brian; Never! Your work is inspiring to them who like whittling a bit of wood.

I don't know of anyone else who would put the effort into areas you will never see again, but know they are there such as finely shaped knees where I would have put triangles of ply in instead (some of them at the right angles!)

Keep up the beautiful work and keep finding timbers with funny names to entertain us!
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 11:44:20 am »

Hi guys, thank you for your comments ( even though being over generous O0 )These photo's are of the radar stand,  next , attaching the anchoring lugs for the trawl gantry stays, some of the bits n pieces, then my precision cutting and joining of the rudders  ( only joking :-) ) used 1 mm copper for the "N-L" and  1/16 " for the "Beninda".These last photo's are when I wished I had a 3D printer and the knowledge to use it, making the luver section for the toilet-shower door, cheers  :-)) ....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 11:04:59 pm »

Hi there morning, and a Happy Mother's Day to all the Mum's out there :-) .1st photo ,bit of a mixture  of bits n pieces from both model's then applying first undercoats after they have already had a thinned out coat of varnish.Applying the water slide decals to the name tags for the model base's.First of 2 gloss coats on the sponsons ( as sides already had 2 coats of gloss applied).The finished bit n pieces waiting to be installed.Gluing the windows in on her w-house....cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 02:32:23 pm »

They look really nice side by side  - Brian do you build your boats from memory or do you use plans?

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 01:20:23 am »

Hi Mark , Would be to easy if I had plans for them,( wish) sadly no, just try to obtain as many photos of the builds as possible and draw as close as I can to the original and as you know years ago people just didn't have cameras or the money to develop the film , not like today with the digital cameras or phones ( I suppose in the future their will be a surplus of useless selfies coming to light ?). I find I spend quiet a lot of time scanning through the photos of the vessels trying to get the shape or rigging etc right, than just building it. Cheers :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 11:07:25 am »

Hi there, well next photos are, finished all the second gloss coats on her sponsons and deck cover strip ,she is ready for her bottom to be sprayed. Actually it is surprising how much junk you have to move out of the Spraying Booth ( Yeah Ok Garden shed ) .Applying the water transfer decals then rigging and it's stays etc ....cheers  :-)) ...
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 10:50:49 pm »

Hi Guys , last shots of this build ,gave her a run around at the local model Club at  Ballina N.S.W Sunday (past) ....cheers   :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 05:49:27 pm »

Another beautiful boat mate - they always look so real when they are sailing - looking forward to your next build  :-))

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 10:58:32 pm »

I agree with Mark – another master class.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.