Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: tankers for Tug Towing  (Read 4742 times)

gog rope

Re: tankers for Tug Towing
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:16:11 am »

Further to Mr Fitz comments of having realistic tows, the SD14 he was suggesting would 16.5 feet long. Firstly I would ask him is he going to build it, secondly is he going to get it in & out of the water. I have seen some of the tows which are out there, the bigger they are the slower you have to go around the course with them otherwise they over run the towing tugs. Also the bigger the tow is the harder it is at certain lakes to actually attach the tugs on to the tows, this is because some lake have stages which go into the lakes rather than a straight side.

As to the time taken to complete a course, nobody really likes to go on first, as you have to learn as you go around, so I can understand why the first team would take their time. The following teams learn by watching the ones that have gone before.

May I suggest that rather than building bigger tows that smaller tugs may suit you better.

willowgarth

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:10 am »

further to your questions i am in the process of having this sd14 built
she will be in two sections each of around 7 feet long
she will also have her own propulsion and rudder and will be radio controlled
there will be no chance of the tow over running its tug because the tow will be under its own power
at this time i have 3 people interested in this project so maybe they can give me a hand in transporting this tow to certain events
in respect to my comments regarding the 46 minute round the team in question were not the first team to have a go at this course
the first team done a" dummy run" and the course had to be altered as it was to tight
each lake we go to has a launching area so tugs can be attached
also the tow will have the facility to let go bow and stern tugs via a drop down bollard
i hope this clarifies your questions the tow will be ready by mid may 2008
hope you all can make the launch ceremony
with best regards to you all
peter fitz :) 

Mersey1

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:26 am »

Hi Peter,
Can I suggest that a boat consisting of two 7 foot long pieces would be extremely hard to transport anywhere unless you have access to a large transit van. The ACL is 13 foot long overall and breaks up into three pieces along the length, with the accommodation this filled two estate cars. Then you've got the problem of ballast, the ACL itself weighs 400 pounds then we put a further 450 pounds of ballast in her. Just a few things to think about. 

gog rope

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:38 am »

Dear Fitzy, can I ask you why you want to build an SD14???? Because I think that they are the ugliest looking ships that were ever built. Which one are you going to build because there where 100's of them????? then you've got the SD15's no comment there.

willowgarth

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:29:39 pm »

hi all yeah know what you mean mark
just got two new vans at work so they are big enough to take this tow
going to flood the ship with four valves four compartments so we wont need any ballast
sd14 ship we are going to build is the sunderland venture as she was the last one to be built at sunderland
i like the ships steve and the guy who is going to help me wants to build one so im not going to argue with him
ready mid may 2008 :
better get your tugs ready
thats if you want to have a tow of her
best regards
fitzy :) :) :)

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:19:37 pm »

We've found that you cant totally rely on water as the ballast, you have to have at least something heavier than water on the centeline and as low as possible.
We had large barge that was fitted with valves etc, nice weight but in anything other than a flat calm it would heel over, the valves were rmoved and replaced with caps that let air in/out quicker and fitted some weights along the keel line.....cracking tow now.

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:40:04 pm »

Hi Billy, Looks like we have gone from single screw tug rules to Large Tankers, Tanker "Featherstone" at BalneMoor
  is ballasted by water and no prob with the wind or healing over, also the Dome Bell tanker is stable as well also
  under power.

Regards

John                      POLL

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:48:25 pm »

We think our big tanker is higher than it should be, so she will be in dydock for some surgery to get her back in proportion.
Norry has still get things outlined for his bulk tanker too, looks like plenty of toys for our pals to play with when they next come a'calling!

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 10:11:24 pm »

hi billy when can we come calling?

thats not that I'm asking you out of course

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:50:33 pm »

...Hi Guys...   

Any time you want to visit,  just give us a call...

I was at Blackpool for the weekend with the family, so i missed what looks like a grand day...

I can,t make it to Mobile Marine Models Tugnology on Saturday due to family commitments...
(Saturday for Family, Sunday for out to play with my mates)

So have a nice day & post plenty of pictures for us to gloat over...

...All The Best...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 02:19:38 pm »

"Who ya gonna call?".............Tug-Masters!!!!
(With ghostbusters them)  ;D

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 02:29:40 pm »

The lads are busily beavering away getting new toys ready for next year.

1. 8ft canal barge - Suitable for twin & single tug tow.
1. 14ft Panamax supertanker - Suitable for twin & three man teams.
1. 5ft Sheerlegs crane - Suitable for single tug pushing/pulling.

Our resident officianado of things long & grey has something special lined up, suffice to say that the current article in the Marine Modelling about General Bel-bloody-Grano might be a tad redundant?  And Norry has a wee project of his own on the slips.

Discussion at the moment is docks & structures, with the commercial harbour, Ye Olde Wharfe and the Marina well underway.

willowgarth

TRUE SCALE TUG TOWING
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

hi folks
an update for you all with regards to building a true scale ship for model tug towing;
most of our tugs are around the 40" mark so we need a tow that would be in scale with our tugs
i have proposed building a working ship so we can get as real to life towing as possible
this is now going to be a reality
i have on sunday just gone commissioned an sd14 type ship to be built
she will now be 17 feet in length
her breadth will be 2ft 6 at midships
hull depth at midships is17"
hull depth at stem 24"
radar mast to keel 49"
superstructure block will be 29" length 22" width 14" in height
she is going to be constructed in 3 sections
she will have a 4 bladed 6.5" prop
5 hatches 18" length 14" width 3" height
each hull section will be on castor wheels so she will be easy to set up on dry land
i have changed the idea of ballast due to the sheer size of her and gone for 5 litre oil style containers that will be filled with water on site
other ballast will come from 7 ah 12v batterys that i have lots of and will be disguised as deck container cargo
fully radio controlled ship that will have propulsion steering and the facilty to let go her bow and stern tugs by use of drop down bollards via the 6 channel radio control
the ships keel will be laid in january 2008 and should be completed prior to june 2008
i hope that this tow can be used around the tug towing scene and that maybe courses may be designed around this size of vessel
i have designed this size of tow to fit in with a eldergarth/portgarth size tug and should be quite a handfull for even the biggest of tugs
hope that you can all have a tow of her in the near future
regards to you all
peter fitzpatrick ;) O0 ;)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 06:27:55 am »

Hi,

Sounds interesting.

You have probably thought of this already, but just in case - have you thought of fitting wash plates in the water ballast containors? These will reduce the free surface effaect of the water ballast and significantly reduce rolling due to water movement - a problem if the ballast tanks are not completely full.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

So she'll mass about 600-700kg when ballasted? What proportion will be water ballast - or, more to the point, how high a fraction can be water before she rolls like a log?

Sounds interesting, though - and a worthy project.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 09:53:22 am »

...Hi Guys...

If you are looking for a few empty 5 gallon drums to use as ballast tanks, Drop into your local Car Wash & ask there...

I did so & was told to take as many as i wanted from a mountain of 5 gallon & 45 gallon drums...

They have only been used for the cleaning products used in the car wash & clean out very easily...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 11:24:15 am »

On a slight tangent, I was thinking of using those low flat underbed type plastic crates for use as 'tows'.
Put in a sheet of polystyrene and fill with water and off you go. At end of play empty out the water and restrack them and go home!

....would that work?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 05:24:41 pm »

Catengineman and myself "aquired" a trolly, it was broke, from B and Q, the sort with a green tray bolted on.

Took that off,sealed the holes, put a deck and two bugets (fixed rudders) on with towing bits and use 8 pint milk cartons for ballast.  Gives it a lot of weight for towing and look quite good to.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 07:28:16 pm »

like the idea Martin ,would they interlock to form a longer tow.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.