Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaducer 40 Complete  (Read 1615 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Seaducer 40 Complete
« on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:09 pm »

I bought my Seaducer 40 hull from Jerry around the same time that I bought my 90 boat from him (build here: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64275.0.html )
Have just put the finishing touches on it. It's powered by an Angstrom 45 - no longer made but still available from miniracingtechnik in Sweden, servos are all high voltage, powered straight off a 7.4v li-po and are a mix of Savox on rudder, hitec on throttle and mixture. Radio is Jeti. Unsure what the pictured pipe is but I think it's Angstrom, have a couple of different ones to try anyway.

Should be good for testing this weekend, have a handful of props to sharpen and balance to try on it.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Seaducer 40 Complete
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:58:59 pm »

Looks fantastic!, we have a few Seducers in our club and they are a great running hull.
Brian

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 10:02:45 am »

Well the maiden voyage didn't go too well. Got it started, got a rich tune on it and threw it out onto the lake. Went off like a scalded cat for about 40ft then stopped.

Ran it a couple of times on the bench, it sounded as if it was chugging due to the glowplug being on the way out - which it shouldn't have been as it was brand new. Ran it once more and pop, that was the end of that. The big end of the rod has failed around the oil port, sending a small shard upwards into the bottom of the piston skirt and another into the intake drum, which locked it up. The piston is salvageable, the drum will buff out and everything else is undamaged, though new rods are impossible to come by as production stopped on these engines years ago.

C'est la vie, these things happen when you buy second hand motors. I've ordered a brand new CMB45 V5 to take it's place, so when I've got that we'll have maiden voyage part 2 %)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:41:43 am »

Thanks to the usual excellent service from Tony at Hobby Supplies Australia  I now have my CMB 45 V5, arrived yesterday morning and after some slight modifications to the mounts to accommodate it's wider carb the boat is now ready once again for the lake  :-))

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 05:37:01 pm »

Got the new engine going today, after around half a gallon of fuels worth of bench running - so rich it's pouring unburnt fuel out the exhaust - it hit the lake.

This was the fourth run on the lake, over the moon with how it's going so far especially seeing as this was with a very mild prop load of an Octura M447 and still with a very rich tune. There's a lot more to come out of it

https://youtu.be/EExmW41DZM4

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 06:02:52 pm »

Looks good in video, but i think you need to get some weight transferred a touch back as its running extremely wet on the hull.
very noticeable in the turns.
Motor sounds very nice, typical of cmb motors... they are very consistent motors.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 05:27:30 pm »

Seaducers inherently run wet down to the hook in the hull. Shall get it in some rougher water when it's run in :-))

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 07:12:37 pm »

Hook in the hull is not good, on models or full size.. it robs power once your on plane.
Maybe thesewould run too high if the hook was taken out ?  to me its definitely far too much wetter surface and wuill be even worse if the water gets rough.. look forward to more video's..

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 08:10:30 pm »

Better let Jerry Crowther know he's been designing his world beating hulls wrong for the last 30 plus years then  {-)

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:20:20 pm »

So you think a hook is good in a  racing v hull... year right crack on

if you wnat to educate yourself on what a Hook in the hull is and why its bad

https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?178921-strakes-vs-pads-rocker-vs-hook&s=f6b2e7d4ab4e7eb7d1693c84cec0e640

most of these people also have no idea, just cruise around in their boats doing over 100 mph.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 03:53:18 pm »

Seaducers in all sizes are some of the best running nitro boats in our club.
Brian

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 10:13:30 am »

The boat is still going strong, and Saturday I finally got it on a nice big stretch of water. It’s got a new prop, which has got the most work I’ve ever done to a single prop on it. It’s absolutely flying now

Not bad for a boat with a hook ;D

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/8CLpSHx2TLE?si=ezRBOwZs_Xph4cTs

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 02:03:52 pm »

Impressive stuff and the speed is just incredible.  Interesting to see that trim tabs are no more.   A far cry from the days when I dabbled around with a AMPS Miss Enfield with an ops 10cc.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 04:55:10 pm »

Thanks  :-))

Trim tabs are still very much in use, though I tend to avoid using them wherever possible as they add additional drag and can cause some interesting handling characteristics. Unless I’m building something I know needs them, I’ll leave them off while building the boat and fit some as a last resort after testing.

The Seaducer SD3 series (this one is the SD3 38) have a hook designed in to the hull, which has an effect on a lot of the ways the boat handles but chiefly eliminates the need for tabs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.