Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting planks from solid  (Read 657 times)

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
Cutting planks from solid
« on: February 28, 2023, 12:52:03 pm »

On the subject of planking a hull, some years ago there was an article on a great way of cutting planks from solid using a circular saw. I can't find it.  Can anyone tell me where that article is? Brian

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
Bintur Ellenbach

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutting planks from solid
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 05:23:02 pm »

I've cut planks from good quality marine ply sheet with a fine toothed Proxxon saw, I havent cut any from solid timber. I can't see this being very easy,  saw blade would need to be very thin and fine toothed  I would say. Failure rate could rather be high!

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Cutting planks from solid
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 09:58:06 am »

The answer to this depends a lot on the size of plank you are after.  If you are talking about a 4mm wide, 0.5mm thick "plank" then I would forget DIY and buy from one of the major suppliers (Cornwall Model Boats for one) - or simply buy some veneer and slice it up with a straight edge and sharp blade.  If you are after something more substantial, say 10mm wide and 2 or 3mm thick, and you have some respectable cutting machines, then it is quite possible to do it yourself.  If you look at the log of my Solent steam launch build (link in my signature below) and go to Reply #4, that is how I did it.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 22 queries.