Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My favorite RC boating scenes at our local lake  (Read 18960 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: My favorite RC boating scenes at our local lake
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2021, 12:47:05 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2021, 11:10:37 am »

Hi all;
 My Jupiter F-99(named by the kit manufacturer, formally Neptune renamed by me!)is a Jeep of our lake for me and
has left many impressive photos mostly sailing on the sea-like lake for the RC model boats.
She has I mentioned so far served as a flag ship for about 42 years, the oldest in my fleet still in operation,by which
number of her pics is ranked top in the fleet,needless to say.
Here are some of my favorite and impressive pics of her on the sea, oh no !,lake to be correct.! {-)
I think watching or appreciating the pics of RC model boating scenes is another enjoyment and this will be of some help
to understand or observe how the boats will behave and move on the water, in terms of mostly waves and wakes... O0
1/2;The Jupiter is operated by one or two girls in the wheelhouse.
3;The hull was waxed to avoid blue-green algae. {:-{ >>:-(
4;Going on the lake ripping the mirror-like surface under the blue sky..!! %% %% :-))
5;At anchor on the calm surface..
6;At anchor close to the opposite shore 270m away from this shore..!!?? {-)
7;The girls are very fond of operating the boat fast and wild.!!??
8;I like front view of this classical boat.! %)

However,we are entering into so called rainy season to continue until late July now and it is raining all day long today too!!! >:-o >>:-( {:-{
No going out for boating !!!!! >>:-(

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2021, 06:53:07 pm »

Indeed I do Martin, its called Carmille and was built by the late Tom Clements (Heaton and District model power boat club), a very successful straight running boat, home built 30cc engine. I only ever beat it once (took me nearly 30 years to do it  O0 )

Steamed up all the time

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:27 am »

Hi all;
It's a reeeaaally fine day today here in Tokyo,and our local lake welcomed by the outside temperature of 30 degrees C with around 1 m/s breeze suitable for RC boating.But due to some reasons,I came up with this little boat despite such a fine
day.!! Next time I come here,I will carry my star boats which have been off the sailing for close to two years due to
corona virus.!! As I found the lake conditions good for RC boating of both scale ships and fast cabin cruisers by today's
observation including circumstances around the lake. %%
Anyhow,we have beeeen obliged to keep off the lake not only by corona but also reconstruction of the lake partly damaged
by the gigantic typhoon up to recent days.... {:-{ {:-{
1;Fine day today for RC boating with so clear and clean water for this season...
2;Then,getting her on the water right away!
3;She sometimes collided against a slight ripple caused by a bit strong wind.. O0
4;So she soon got drenched by such frequent collisions with waves ,though continued cruising powerfully with the tiny
 hull against the waves. O0
5/6; Like these pics, she ran on a bit rough surface...
7; Oh my goodness!! I found this at the parking lot and nodded why she had behaved rather slowly in the final sailing though started with a fully charged battery. {-) O0  I felt something strange in her running in early stage after starting..... O0 O0 {-)
8;Next time,the mother boat of the Jupiter P-550 will possibly come up here if well maintained  for this lake.!

I attache the above boating on you-tube below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0rUyQV747k

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2021, 09:57:36 am »

Martin's post 50 shows an old Straight runner.  Prior to RC, the boats were used like darts and aimed at Marker buoys.  They used to get up to quite a speed and the markers were near the bank and someone had to stop the boats.  If you note on the rear deck there is a reverse type water break and this was to stop the stern wave from swamping the boat when it was stopped.
With some of the bigger steam driven boats you would have to stand, in the lake in your waders of course, braced with feet apart ready to stop the boat.  The technique was to grab the bow and push it down, this slowed the boat right down and took the props out of the water for a short time.  Then you would turn the boat round and send her back around one or other side of the course to the owner.  He / she would have 3 goes and be scored accordingly.

It always attracted a good crowd and the on-lookers immediately could see what was happening.  The lake at St. Albans was a very popular venue with Victoria Park and a couple of others having visiting competitions  through the summer months.  It died a death maybe 10-20 years ago.  But we all had chest waders and there were a fair number of ladies taking part as well.

Also at St. Albans we were a venue for round the pole racing, this could be noisy and often the boats could not be seen due to the spray.  The sound of a flash steamer at full speed has to heard to be appreciated, this could be at around 80 mph.  There were many world speed records registered here.  This was only done 2 or 3 times a year.  The do-gooders tried to stop the competitions as they said that we would kill off the wild-life! 

As this had been going on for 50 years and there was still an abundance of wild-life clearly not true.  The ducks would sit a few yards out of range watching the boats come by at speed and looking for any choice morsels turning up in the wake. The RTP racing died off after avion flu struck, with the local hotelliers refusing to take guests in with possibly contaminated boats.  A risk assessment was completed in 2006 for this racing and the controls on lines and how often they could be used also having colour coding for identification, it goes on for 10 pages or more.  The people asking for it were none the wiser afterwards!

The lakes have been there since circa 1934 when the Jarrow Marchers stopped over to work for food and lodging they turned 3 streams into the two lakes we have now.  We shall have the photographs of this digging on our web site very soon. 

One of the later do-gooders, a certain government agency forbids even banging a spike into the ground as it may disturb Roman ruins!  If we have a gazebo erected we have to use water weights to keep it steady.  As the marchers had deposited 10 feet of topsoil around on excavating the lake this is a most un-likely event.  But such is life!

The council have neglected the lakes and the nearby River Ver and keep getting consultants in to advise them, if they had spent half that money on maintenance the lakes would be in a fine condition.  When I challenged them on this neglect they would not admit any past problems and just said and I quote "We are where we are"!
Best regards
Roy

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2021, 12:47:41 pm »

Hi all;
I made a very tiny improvement for my tiny Jupiter P-550 as she has suffered from water ingress though it's a tiny amount
in one sailing.Each time I get the boat recovered,I make it a practise to suck the water through a hand-made pump.
But in these days,I feel it troublesome to do such sucking.The original reason why she has suffered from I guess is that
I changed the prop shaft of 2.5mm dia to 2.4mm dia with a new powerful prop to increase the speed.
And I did not have the 2.5mm shaft at that time when changed.
In order to at least reduce(dare not say prevent from)the water ingress,I have very simply used an aluminum tape with
glue around the shaft partly as far as the shaft reaches about 2.6mm dia against inside dia of 2.70mm stern-tube.
1;The ready-made prop is below with a 2.50mm dia.
2;Right one is used currently with a 2.40mm dia.
3;I have used an aluminum tape purchased at 100yen shop.!! {-) But it is I think sufficiently available for this purpose. %%
4;I made like this.The parts not covered with the tapes for thick grease zone to refrain the water from coming in.!?

The test run is supposed to take place in the next week or later..

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:28 am »

Hi all;
We seem to have entered into so called rainy season here in Tokyo and it's been raining intermittently in a day in these days.
I am obliged to stay home in this sense in addition to covid-19... {:-{ :((
In the meantime,I have felt something unsatisfactory with the sailing quality of my Jupiter P-550,especially that ugly porpoising at high speed....  {:-{
Therefore, I made up my mind to reduce this ugly characteristic by installing trim tabs at transom.
I have numerous kinds of RC plane parts left in stock unused for a long time and intend to make use of some of them,as trim tabs are naturally very similar to the elevators of an airplane.
1;Using some parts of RC planes left in stock..mainly hinges and control horn of wing surfaces,etc...
2;I have the parts ready like these simply.Just cut ,form, file and sand...
3; Tab adjustment arms have been made like these...
4;Assembling tabs..
5;Installing the tabs to the base of trim tab installation provisionally..
6;Locating the the bases of tab adjustment arms on a base of trim tab installation..

To be continued..

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2021, 06:25:18 pm »

Thats a really clever idea  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 12:29:38 pm »

Hi SteamboatPhil;
Thanks a lot for your complimentary comment on my full span trim tabs under way.
I would like to refine the sailing performance of my tiny Jupiter P-550 with these trim tabs which I don't know whether
or not they should go well as I expect... The process of improvement is cheerful for me,at least anyhow.. {-) O0

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 12:44:23 pm »

Hi all;
My full span trim tabs are going like these in the following pics.
 General assemly was done like these and installed temporarily at transom to see how the tabs look.
I have to replace the screws at tabs with flat head screws facing downward...I do not have them in my stock
right now...

To be continued..

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2021, 09:39:18 am »

Hi all;

I replaced the round head screws at the tabs with the flat head screws as in the pics below and fixed the full span trim tabs
to check if the setting is correctly done before final painting.
Next is the simple painting of black and white. ;)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2021, 09:41:43 am »

Hi all;
Final setting of my full span trim tabs has been done after painting as in the pics below.
A problem is the very weather for a test of the trim tabs to see how they function to reduce the ugly porpoising... {:-{ :((
We are in the midst of the rainy season now,that should continue normally as far as late July during which it rains or gets
cloudy intermittently.. {:-{
1;After painting
2;Trim tabs screwed down the hinges
3/4;installed to the transom by screws
5/6;Initial setting of the angle of the tabs is this level...
I wish I could post a good report of the trim tabs on here in a video and pics as usual.!!! {:-{ :(( O0 {-)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2021, 03:04:45 pm »

Hi all;
 I went to my local lake,of course, to test the full span trim tabs installed at my tiny JupiterP-550.
It was so cloudy, but calm on the water suitable for model boating.! %%
1;Good enough on the water for testing trim tabs! Look at the mirror-like surface in the back!
2;The tabs were set this level of angle....
3/4/5;And she set sail on the lake and soon the bow began to slightly sink splashing around as seen in the pics,by which
       I was frightened,as the bow seemed to go into the water slowly according to the speed.
      Even such positions could not be seen well by high splash on both sides.!!! {:-{ :(( {-)
     Attention to the strange shape of splash in the pic Nr5. {-) {-)

In this sense, these tabs functioned well enough with a bit positive angle as in the pic 1.
Well, I soon recovered the boat to reset the angle of the tabs to rise the bow... {-) O0

To be continued....as I'm sleepy.!

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2021, 04:03:58 am »

Hi all;
Anyhow I was really surprised to see the boat sailing with a large and high splash soon after starting,by which splash the boat was surrounded,and what was worse,the bow seemed to sink slowly in the both splash.!! {:-{
I really felt it was so effective to have the trim tabs rather than I had imagined previously...
1;I re-set the angle of tabs to negative side to this level.
2/3/4/5;And re-start the test run slowly.....and she responded at last to my earnest expectation to go smoothly on the water
      as seen in the pics and video clip below.!!
     However I am not still satisfied with the level of this improvement,as I felt she could run much better by more adjustment of tab angle which I tried to do here,but she suddenly stopped on the water as seen in a video clip, due to the prop loosened a bit.At this time I could not help suspending the trial run after preceding two test runs.... {:-{ :(( :((
Attention to the smooth stream of splash around the hull though it was at 80% throttle. %%

And I already fixed the problem for the test in next week.!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLUXy8FJWc

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2021, 08:44:21 am »

Hi all;
To sum up the test run of the trim tabs,the tabs were found to be successful but the test was unsuccessful as the boat
stopped suddenly due to a prop problem in the third run. :(( The true object lay elsewhere...?? {-) O0
Here are other pics of the day of test run.
1/2; To my regret,I was unable to have her run at full speed due to the problem,at which I was so eager to know how she
behaved by the trim tabs...though I really had a good imagination that she might respond to my earnest expectation even
at full speed.!!
3;Water ingress after 8minutes run...
4;I finally intend to have her run with this level of posture at top speed.
5;Present posture at top speed inviting many porpoising

I presently have several options to improve the sailing characteristics. One is to find the optimum angle of trim tabs and the other ,to make smaller tabs and their mixed option.
6;Negative angle if necessary....
7;New small trim tabs under way(below)
  Next test run is supposed to take place in the next week if it should be fine day for the test run !! %% O0 
I wish I could post a better result here with pics and video again.!! O0 ♬~♩~♪~

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2021, 11:16:19 am »

Hi all;
I already have set my Jupiter P-550 as seen in the pics below to test the improved trim tabs and new 3 bladed prop as well
as new angle of the tabs to a bit negative side.
1;New smaller trim tabs
2/3;Installed at the transom
4;The angle was set a bit of negative side from previous experience of test...
5;New 3 bladed prop of 36.0mm dia
6;Former 2 bladed 37.5 mm dia P1.4 prop was so torqueful for this tiny 55cm boat, by which the boat was apt to go apparently right side a bit with strong torque consequently....which was dangerous to turn quickly...
7;Overview
I wonder how she should respond to these settings....?? O0 %% {:-{ %)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2021, 06:39:08 am »

Hi all;
It was cloudy day on the test run of the trim tabs and smaller 3 bladed prop to improve the sailing postures.
But it was fine for me during the test as she did a really good job meeting my earnest expectations. O0 {-) %%
Yes, she scored 87 in the test ,which I think is PASS in the sailing posture improvement project.
To sum up the test,ugly porpoising was greatly reduced and even apparent rooster tail was also greatly lowered,
by which she could be able to run more realistically in sailing postures/airs that I had long regarded as one of the most important qualities for scale boats.
Then,I should go to the pics and video of the test as usual. O0 Seeing is believing,isn't it?
1;So cloudy day different from my feeling on the day {-)
2/3;Sailing nearly at full speed making sharp,long and clear arches of splash on both side
4/5;Actually no clear rooster tails
6;The wakes to follow ..
7;Returning after a successful run with new equipments..
8;This kind of so called rooster tail actually disappeared partly due to being able to produce higher speed stably
   than ever before and trim tabs.. O0

The following video will be of some assistance to tell the conditions on the day how she could ran smoothly.
I personally think an apparent improvement be seen... O0 No apparent bow up at full speed this time due to the trim tabs.!!
In addition,a longer run time was also achieved by a little less-pitched 3bladed prop than P1.4 as a by-product. {-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaoGU4wfZBo&t=44s

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2021, 08:03:00 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjQxVdhiHQ
Hi All
Last Saturday's Canal Waters.
Canabus

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2021, 03:17:23 pm »

Hi canabus;
I have enjoyed your video very much and it is so interesting, cheerful and impressive to know how foreign boaters are
working on the boating with their boats. O0 :-))
You also have a good canal suitable for Rc boating at your disposal together with your club mates.
Looking forward to your next  posting with a video to grasp how you may have enjoyed the boating with your
favorite RC boats spent much time to build. :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2021, 01:19:06 pm »

Hi all;
It's about 3 months since I posted on RC boating.
And it's becoming RC boating season here in Japan partly because we have been released from quasi-lockdown and emergency state declarations by corona from this month as the number of infected persons had reduced to greatly
less than 100 per day in Tokyo from over 5000 at its peak in Tokyo Olympics season.  O0
Therefore I have gotten ready for RC boating since last July. %% ♩~♬~♫~ O0
Everything is ready !! ok2
1;Batteries are ready.!
2;Grease-up is ready!
3;Electrical wiring is all OK.
4;Rudder works well.
5;Motor ,coupling, screw shaft rotations are all OK.
6;"Hi miss,are you ready to go?"
7;"Certainly,yes sir,capt Backerther"
8;Everything is ready to go anytime.!! O0 {-) %% ok2

The rest is the weather.!! :((

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »

Excellent!
    .... love the Skipper!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2021, 04:30:23 pm »

Yeah so do I   ok2 ok2

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2021, 07:56:02 pm »

And me  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2021, 11:55:50 am »

"RC boating for today" is the followings..OoPs..Before that,,First of all,thank you Martin, radiojoe and SteamboatPhil for your kind comments. :-) ok2

It was generally fine but a bit windy day today,though I thought confidently my 1m Jupiter F-99 could be able to run on the lake with ease and went there for the first time since last sailing on June30.

The boating video for today is as below.
https://youtu.be/AmFTpU2CVXA

1;Wishing a safe return!
2;Prepared a rescue boat
3;Cooling water was securely drained and the motor was not hot nor warm at all.!! O0  
4;The sun ray was reflected by the cabin windows. The air temperature was 28 degrees C.
5;Running powerfully about 100m away from the shore. ;D
6;It's a sailing day today under the blue sky with some clouds here in Tokyo.
7;"You did a very good job."
8;No water ingress at all in 4 sailings.

A very happy day today with a cheerful sailing for me.
 Next sailing will be performed by Najade...the next will go to HMS Fencer ?? %% {-)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.