Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifeboat plans no longer for sale!  (Read 6725 times)

rbox101

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Lifeboat plans no longer for sale!
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:42:44 am »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum but I have been a long time reader. I was pleased to see last Friday that the RNLI shop is back up and running on the web, but I couldn't find the model making plans. I contacted them and had a reply this morning, they say they are no longer allowed to sell the plans to the public as they contain elements made by other companies which they do not own the intellectual property of, so that is it. This is going to have a big impact on this area of our hobby, not being able to access these precious items. We may need to start a plans sharing service of those we have
Rich

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lifeboat plans no longer for sale!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:50:23 am »

I was told at the end of last week the RNLI are apparently sending
their drawings to the NMM at greenwich.
this was 3rd hand info from someone who told me he spoke to the people in
the drawing office he normally deals with.

so I cant confirm 100% its true, if it is the drawings may still be available to modellers

rbox101

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:54:47 am »

That would be great news if it happens, I will keep an eye on it, thanks

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:00:58 pm »

I know this is an old thread but I emailed the NNM Greenwich last week for some Arun plans. They replied saying their collection stops at 1970 so nothing more modern available from them.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:50 pm »

If I get a chance to speak to someone at engineering, I’ll ask.

Currently on a boat handing course at the RNLI College in Poole. It may be Friday before I can get to someone as my course starts at 0830 and ends at 1700. I don’t head back home until Late Friday.

Regards

Declan

I was told at the end of last week the RNLI are apparently sending
their drawings to the NMM at greenwich.
this was 3rd hand info from someone who told me he spoke to the people in
the drawing office he normally deals with.

so I cant confirm 100% its true, if it is the drawings may still be available to modellers

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 07:21:32 am »

Poole shredded most of the plans, and only kept what was sold in the shop. It was the (outsourced) shop that duplicated and sold the plans on behalf of the RNLI - the engineering dept. no longer had anything to do with them.

Since the debacle that saw the online shop go down for two years or so, a new outsourced shop took over, and they don’t want to sell the plans any more.

There’s some question coming out (from the legal dept.) that the plans contain some supplier details that are held under NDAs and cannot be disclosed, although I don’t see how that applies to the older boats - it seems more likely that Poole just have no facilities for copying and selling the plans directly, and there’s no will to set something up again, as it wouldn’t be cost efficient.

(There are people at Poole who would love to sell them again...)

Lance

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 01:27:13 pm »

I know this is an old thread but I emailed the NNM Greenwich last week for some Arun plans. They replied saying there collection stops at 1970 so nothing more modern available from them.

There is a forum member Neil who might be able to help, not posted for a while as he is mainly on the Other modelboats forum I think,  but he does look in from time to time looking at his profile. Might be worth a PM.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 10:47:47 pm »

Spoke with a couple of people at RNLI HQ.

RNLI lifeboat plans are being handled by the Heritage department : heritage@rnli.org.uk

Basically if you get in touch with them, they will be able to answer any specific queries. I’m going to email them tomorrow to see where it leads.

Declan

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 06:16:24 pm »

Got a response from heritage email and she. Is trying to sort a set of plans from the engineering department for an Arun.  I didn’t ask what other Plans are available but fingers crossed some are

minimariner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 08:43:02 pm »

If anyone was wondering what happened to the Lifeboat Plans I had for sale
   on this site, they were removed by the Moderator.    (copyright)
  The profit from the sales was going to the RNLI Skegness Lifeboat.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 08:56:24 pm »

That explains why there were no responses - I did wonder why - I thought the red print had something to do with it.
You obviously put the plans up in good faith but there it is.
(a sticker over the relevant section may have helped)  %)
... just an observation  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 09:43:26 pm »

If anyone was wondering what happened to the Lifeboat Plans I had for sale
   on this site, they were removed by the Moderator.    (copyright)
  The profit from the sales was going to the RNLI Skegness Lifeboat.
Seems a bit odd, if you were selling the original plans you had purchased I do not think copyright comes into it.if they were copies you made then that is different. If that was the case all plans, books and magazines on here for sale should also be removed as they too come under copyright... Very strange.Could also say that any boats built from said copyright plans come under the same condition.
 :police:

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 10:30:24 pm »

A lot will depend on  the terms and conditions under which the plans were originally sold. Very often in such circumstances it will be for personal use only which is fair enough given that the seller, whether it be the RNLI, National Maritime Museum or retailers such as Sarik Hobbies do sell them on a commercial basis and if you sell your personal copy (or a copy of the copy) then you are potentially stealing a sale from them as they hold the copyright.

Obviously there is nothing to stop you giving your plan to somebody else but making a profit on them (irrespective of how the proceeds are to be used) is a clear breach of copyright in that you are making money at the expense of the rightful owners.

I know some people think that it is perfectly OK to do that, maybe in a 'good cause' but actually it isn't.

Along with other people I write articles for modelling magazines. If somebody were to copy them and flog them to another magazine for their own financial benefit I'd be pretty annoyed! Same principle.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 11:08:43 pm »

Along with other people I write articles for modelling magazines. If somebody were to copy them and flog them to another magazine for their own financial benefit I'd be pretty annoyed! Same principle.

Colin
I do not see the sale of the plans in question the same principle, these as far as I am aware are the original copies, not copies of the copy , deliberately copying an artical for gain I agree with  is not good,  however very very hard to enforce as Ebay shows.

Also happens on here quite regulary as well as the model boats magazine forum.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 11:29:49 pm »

Yes, but you are still selling in breach of copyright items that are on sale from the legal owner. Probably against the specific conditions of sale which I gather is pretty much what the RNLI red stamp stipulates.

Yes, I agree that you can find stuff like that on EBay but that doesn't make it morally right. It is up to the RNLI whether they choose to try and go after these people who are exploiting them. There is lots of dodgy stuff on Ebay as we all know. It's not that different to buying stuff down the pub that you know is probably stolen but you choose to look the other way.

Colin

CCzerny

• Shipmate
  • Model building shouldn't fail because of language
    • My page
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 05:26:28 pm »

Hi everyone, i´m from the south of germany and new here.
Yesterday i bought a SPEEDLINE MODELS 1/12 SEVERN CLASS LIFE BOAT  Fibre Glass Hull from ebay.
Now i´m looking for a plan to build the model, i allrady wrote an email to [size=0px]heritage@rnli.org.uk[/size]

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 12:29:41 pm »

In the early 70s when I got my 52 02 plans, I had to sign a declaration that I would not do certain things. The lovely lady that I dealt with was Gladys Green, a very helpful person, sadly no longer there. Since then when requesting plans it is like breaking into a bank. To think of the hours that we modellers put into Lifeboats, all to give the RNLI publicity and we cannot get a Decent plan, it is a disgrace, nemesis

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 06:32:54 pm »

Just on the other hand think of all the people who signed to say they wouldn't copy or re-distribute and yet EBay and Facebook groups are full of people selling plans that have been copied and making money from them. As usual minority spoil it for others.

CCzerny

• Shipmate
  • Model building shouldn't fail because of language
    • My page
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 10:30:00 am »

Hi everyone, i´m from the south of germany and new here.
Yesterday i bought a SPEEDLINE MODELS 1/12 SEVERN CLASS LIFE BOAT  Fibre Glass Hull from ebay.
Now i´m looking for a plan to build the model, i allrady wrote an email to [size=0px]heritage@rnli.org.uk[/size]

Hi everyone, I´m verry glad because Heritage send me the plan as pdf.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.