Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krick Najade Motor Yacht  (Read 919 times)

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Krick Najade Motor Yacht
« on: April 09, 2021, 01:20:18 pm »

hi Just after some handling help with my Krick Najade Motor Yacht build.

2 thing, the steering is hit and min, some time it turns shape other time, does not even react. has standard rudders and running a 850 motor.

also when going backwards it only turns one way to the left. why does it do this?

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Krick Najade Motor Yacht
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 03:00:05 pm »

Hi

The intermittent steering could be a few things...

Maybe check that the receiver antenna is correctly positioned in the boat and you're getting reasonable range.

If the boat is going forward, and the motor is under power (so water is going past the rudder), the boat should turn when rudder is applied.  So if it isn't, or is is only some of the time I'd check that the connection between the servo and the rudder shaft is all OK, that the retaining screws are tight.  Maybe check the rudder servo lead is firmly seated in the receiver too.

Sometimes weed around rudder / prop makes steering strange...  Just a thought...  And make sure nothing is fouling the rudder arm, maybe when you put the deck on the boat before sailing something is preventing the rudder moving fully..?

Regarding the reversing issue, I'm assuming you have one propeller / rudder.  Try Googling 'Prop walk' or 'Paddle wheel Effect'. As the water is not going past the rudder, the rudder has little (or reduced) effect when going astern. So the prop becomes a 'paddle wheel' and can drive the hull sideways as well as backward.  Add the two forces together and you end up with one direction of turn being way better than the other when going astern.  Not a lot you can do about it I don't think...  Just have to know it, and work with it.

Post some pics of the rudder servo connection to the rudder arm if you can.  That will help get some more focused comments maybe.

Best of luck. David.

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 03:44:45 pm »

hi thanks for the reply.

when going astern understand that, was thinking is the motor rotation making it happen.

As far are forward, have look at the servo savox from my trouing race car set up. also running 2.4 and see to be working with out any interference. Yes when under normal power it seem to be a "handling" characteristics as my Dad identical boat does the same thing????? will try and get some pic later
Thank you

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 03:49:08 pm »

Hi
These are for your reference.
Everything is going well enough in this configuration.
Anyhow" securely ,tightly, precisely,neatly"bond or set screw in each part based on German language instructions. ;)
Make sure rudder shafts are precisely set vertically and securely fixed,two rudders are parallel,etc..
Does linkage rod push the rudder horns precisely without any deflection at all on both sides?
Review each part again securely.
All that I did to my Najade was simply and faithfully what I mentioned above....

Hope these help your  Najade assemblies!

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 05:49:56 pm »

your reversing problem is a problem that full size planning hulls have. will mainly want to turn one way, this is down to puttinga bit too much power before the boat starts to move. once yo usee it moving tothe side you wnat to go you can then add the power..
speed boats do it all the time.will turn one way great the other way a nightmare. and most full size speed boats
just cannot reverse ina straightline for long, no matter if outboard ,outdrive or submerged drive..
planing hulls are terrible for handling under planning speed, then they aregreat.
its just what they are designed to do...
but apply the power gently then can put on plenty once it starts to move...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.