Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Broom 44  (Read 1542 times)

NJT75

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Model Slipway Broom 44
« on: April 09, 2021, 04:43:52 pm »

Hi all, new to the site. Looking for some advice really. Unfortunately my father was moved into a home at the end of last year. I have been trying to sort out his stuff which includes some of his models. He has a Broom 44 which I have on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114695803080

I first listed it with no reserve, but was told that it is apparently quite rare and could be worth around £900 in mint condition. It’s not, so I advertised it for a more reasonable price. However, have only had silly offers.

Was I being lead astray by the £900 estimate? Where is the best place to sell these things?

He also has a Grey Thunder speed boat !!!!

Thanks

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Model Slipway Broom 44
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:22:29 pm »

Last one I saw for sale was £300.00, It was sold but do not know what was paid.

Personally I would not pay £900 for it or even 500 I would be surprised if you got between 200 & 300. If it does not sell at 500, reduce to 400, then 300, then 200 and see what happens.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 08:59:31 pm »

I have to say I agree with Larry (thelongbuild) at the top end maybe £200 (I would not sell with the battery as the extra weight when posting would jump up)
Sadly sometimes these days models do tend to get over valued (sorry) nice model though
Steamed up all the time

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 12:18:25 am »

Yes, does look good.

Un-built one went for £258.80  In February

eBay item bid history

NJT75

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:37:57 am »

As a rule is unbuilt better/more sought after? Ultimately more valuable. My thinking is if £258 unbuilt then £300 built, because of all the additional components.

What are your thoughts with my logic?

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 09:11:22 pm »

I suppose it depends on whether someone out there is willing to pay for a ready to run versus a kit as well.
Most seem to sell without batteries perhaps due to fire risk as well as weight?

Someone May pay more to “avoid” having to build it, shock horror! I’m not saying that’s wrong btw!

I’ve seen some shocking looking specimens on eBay described as “vintage” loft finds asking for over £100 but if they are long discontinued rare specimens then someone may want to save it. I know I have a particular model I’d love to find more of!

I’ve also seen some great looking ones (eg very large steam) for just under £1000. Whether anyone is buying them at the moment?

If I was after a particular rare boat and one popped up as good looking as yours I’d try for it.

All that hard work that went into it should be worth more than an unbuilt kit really but I see both sides. If you know the person who put so much time and effort into it, it’s natural to want it to be worth an appropriate amount.  As suggested it’s worth trying higher and coming down I suppose.
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.