Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phishing  (Read 2146 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Phishing
« on: April 09, 2021, 07:02:12 pm »

I'm sure many of you have had similar contacts like this but as I have but not usually arrogant like this clown

Dear Friend.After serious thoughts, my decision to contact you personally became urgent, since I have no grudge against you, other than your Nigerian partners. I happen to be the Deputy Governor, Corporate Services of Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN).Sometime ago, your partners approached me through a contact who works with one of the ministries here with a request to assist them conclude a transfer deal which required programming a transfer on your behalf. What I gathered, is they wanted to use my position and office to strategically transfer a sum; which has been supposedly dormant in the CBN suspense account for quite a while. Our agreement was that I make this happen and be rewarded with one hundred thousand initial advance payment and another one hundred thousand when I finally release to your nominated account.Having successfully programmed the transfer as agreed and your name approved amongst the list of contractors or recipient beneficiaries to be paid for that period, the story changed and instead of standing by our agreed arrangements, they implored an avoidance tactic and then resorted to threats. Well, that prompted my decision to immediately delete the transfer code, but released other payments as listed, excluding yours.This resulted to several threatening calls which did not scare me though and then they started making frantic efforts to bribing other officials to get another approval to the transfer to you, but without success. I however take 100 percent responsibility for the delay and obstructions, because of their breach of agreement and trust. If you have doubts as to this privileged information, then consider what has transpired through the entire course of your claim process, they continue to ask you to pay one charge or the other and at the end no results and they continue to tell you to send another fee with yet no results. In very simple words, I can only say that they are just wicked. Now if you want us to work together,these are my conditions:1: I will be entitled to twenty percent of the total sum, since it's just both of us left in the matter.2: You will assist my son with opening an account in your domain where I will transfer my share.3: It will be useless and mere waste of time and resources if you continue with any other person. So well conclude this process with the utmost of secrecy using only the included telephone and email details as provided.4: You will provide me your direct telephone, mobile and your private email to facilitate easy communication between you and I.If you find these conditions acceptable, contact me at your earliest convenience to have us finalize arrangements, so the transfer can be released to your nominated account after completion of the mandatory protocols. However, in case you're not interested, then I strongly advice you jettison the idea of receiving your funds and stop wasting your time with your so called partners. Your prompt response via my private and direct email is anticipated.Yours truly.Edward Lametek AdamuDeputy Governor, Corporate Services.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Phishing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:04:34 pm »

Yep, & I couldn't read it either hehehe %% %%

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:08:56 pm »

Just spent  time trying to sort that out   My fault of course The hell it is this   site has been shrinking type for ages

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:05:01 pm »

Sounds all good to me, so when do you get your funds.. :police: :police:

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:26 pm »

OOO should I not have sent the $5000 then....... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 09:14:08 am »

Thing is, they send out millions of these at very little cost.  The simpleton appearance and bad spelling and grammar is there to weed out the wary and ensure that any responses are from the gullible.  It only needs one in a million to give up their details and their lifetimes savings, and they are in a very healthy state of profit.
The ones to watch out for are those pretending to come from legit sources and providing links to genuine company sites, or pretending to and having a very well constructed site to look like the real thing.  Hermes deliver fail is popular at the moment.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:59:58 pm »

To avoid scams, phishes, etc.:  Don't answer their phone calls, and block them. Don't open their emails, and move them to Junk.  And don't open or answer their texts.

And chuckle at the demands you renew your car warranty, on a car that is 15 years old, like mine.  <*<

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 10:35:16 pm »

And if you get one with Knock Knock as the subject ignore its probably a jehovah's witness working from home

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 07:14:45 pm »

I've just had one of the Royal Mail 'failed to deliver' messages. It was quite easy to ignore it as they claimed to have tried deliver it on the 11th - A SUNDAY %% %% %% {-) {-) {-)  Since when has Royal Mail delivered anything on a Sunday?

Barrie

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 10:49:38 pm »

Since recently Vaccination appointments

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:15:53 am »

If I think a call might just be genuine, I hang up, find their official number and call that from another phone.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 01:08:44 pm »

Had an INTERNATIONAL call today (and in fact over the last couple of days), the answer machine answers it and when I played back the message, it seemed to be a recorded message saying that there has been suspicious activity on the line please press 1 for -- could not get what the rest was for, either to record suspicious activity or find out what it was, seems like a scam, the phone said on its screen - in use - an beeping every so often, so disconnected it as soon as I could, anyone had this before, I tend to nuisance block all INTERNATIONAL numbers.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 04:46:14 pm »

If I think a call might just be genuine, I hang up, find their official number and call that from another phone.

This is great advice - I have told my mum who's 78 to do exactly this.  If you didn't contact someone first through their own number; if they call just hang up.

RST

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 06:45:16 pm »

This is great advice - I have told my mum who's 78 to do exactly this.  If you didn't contact someone first through their own number; if they call just hang up.

Same thing for E mails, I rarely click on any weblinks in mails at all. Always try to do it separately.  My mum keeps showing me texts she gets and I keep saying just to ignore them because she's not signed up to anything by mobile so why would anyone genuine try to make contact by SMS.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 06:48:54 pm »

Same thing for E mails, I rarely click on any weblinks in mails at all. Always try to do it separately.  My mum keeps showing me texts she gets and I keep saying just to ignore them because she's not signed up to anything by mobile so why would anyone genuine try to make contact by SMS.

I find it amazing in this day and age that our elderly can be targeted in this way.  They are so vulnerable and deserve far more protection by the law than they get.  I hope the law changes soon for the better.  They never grew up with the understanding that we have and their protection should reflect this.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 07:00:28 pm »

Just put the number in google most times they come up as nuisance calls or info about them

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 10:11:13 pm »

I find it amazing in this day and age that our elderly can be targeted in this way.  They are so vulnerable and deserve far more protection by the law than they get.  I hope the law changes soon for the better.  They never grew up with the understanding that we have and their protection should reflect this.
It is not the elderly ( I am 76 ! ), it is people of all age groups who refuse to  follow the learning curves, but still think they can operate the equipment.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 10:14:11 pm »

I hope the law changes soon for the better.

The UK law can change as much as it likes but most of these people are outside UK jurisdiction and have access to the internet and phone lines. It makes them almost impossible to identify, let alone prosecute.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:27:18 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 10:01:11 am »

I found it shocking when a 50 something was scammed out of £40,000 in an investment shares fraud, he claimed it was so easy to believe the scammer. I have only one call where this happened, it was on a call I answered on a Friday afternoon at work, the guy was charming and persistant, but I eventually said I was going home and had to just hang up on him.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:10 am »

Why didn't you put the phone down immediately? If you want to invest then make approaches to providers yourself after doing a bit of due diligence rather than responding in any way whatsoever to cold callers. Nobody is EVER going to cold call you with your best interests at heart, only theirs!

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 10:25:43 am »

The call was thought to be from a customer at the time, so I had to answer the call, it was well over 10 years ago and it was the first time I had ever been quizzed like that, so inexperience until common sense kicked in and I just hung up on him (plus he was getting on my nerves by then).

If I was ever going to invest I would have to do a hell of a lot of research first as I am known to be a tight fisted so and so  :}

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 10:27:11 am »

When my friends phone, they know it's me that has answered... " Jim Jones, Fraud Office.   Can I help you?"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 10:43:54 am »

When my friends phone, they know it's me that has answered... " Jim Jones, Fraud Office.   Can I help you?"

{-)  {-)  {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 05:07:02 pm »

Why didn't you put the phone down immediately? If you want to invest then make approaches to providers yourself after doing a bit of due diligence rather than responding in any way whatsoever to cold callers. Nobody is EVER going to cold call you with your best interests at heart, only theirs!

Colin
No, no.  Keep them hanging on.  Run their bill up.  Its good for my pension.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.