Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail material  (Read 953 times)

Chiripa

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sail material
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:44:25 pm »

Hello. I am looking for white translucent material to build sails for a racing RC boat (Victoria Class) and a more traditional RC boat similar to A J Class. Googling I see that 25 micron material would be appropriate for the Victoria... But I am not familiar with the actual kind of material that is white translucent (not ripstop dacron see photo)... Any suggestions regarding the kind of material and where I can purchase would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Sail material
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 10:56:30 pm »

I used to use drawing or drafting film which is made from polyester, translucent and generally an off white slightly grey colour.  A quick google search found rolls which are big enough to fit out a couple of dozen yachts but single sheets in a variety of sizes used to be available.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:34:19 am »

I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly. Ripstop nylon is one thing, Dacron is another . The Dacron I have used is smooth. I have used it on my schooner model. I Bought it from Sailsetc. That was10 years ago.
Sailsetc.com
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:56:48 am »

Drafting film, or "Mylar".  Used by professional sailmakers for the Victoria. 
Available by the roll, enough for several attempts.
Sheets in various sizes are out there on the market.  A4 isn't quite big enough for any but the top panels if doing a panelled set.  A pack of A3 size might be OK with careful cutting.
Both available at art stores.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 10:51:55 am »

Hi I have used Mylar for making sails.  Use a good quality double sided adhesive clear tape, like selotape for sticking panels together, but be careful you get just one shot at it.  If sticking a long length have a flat surface and if you can work from the centre outwards taking care not to put any tension on the adhesive tape as it will curl the sail. It is worth checking on the Internet as the straight part of the sail going up the mast is actually a very shallow "S".
Where you have any attachments, hooks, ropes, eyes, then strengthen the area first. 

For the corners of sails I cut a circle of mylar and cut out segments that fit the corner.  Apply the adhesive tape and discard surplus and stick on the sail.  For hooks etc up the mast I cut these in half circles and apply as before.
The very small eyelets can be obtained from Sails Etc, together with a small punch to suit size.  It is all very easy just needs patience and accuracy.  Be careful when cutting main sail and get the large angle right, it s usually a bit less than 90 degrees or use old sails as patterns.
I use scissors to cut with following a feint pencil line and a compass to make circles, the point telling exactly where the centre is for cutting segments.
Good luck
Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 07:35:14 pm »

A well known internet site does mylar and indeed other materials that will suit (sic) I bought some awile back, as Roy has said careful cutting great product and a good price  :-))
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.