Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine HMS Kent hull  (Read 3015 times)

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Deans Marine HMS Kent hull
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:35:31 pm »

Has anyone built on the Deans Marine HMS Kent WW1 Monmouth class cruiser hull? I was wondering if it was sturdy because ive heard that their hulls were a bit thin. Many thanks, Peter

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans Marine HMS Kent hull
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:46:59 pm »

Hi Peter I have built a few Deans kits over the years and never had any problems hope this helps.

Stan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 07:08:24 pm »

I have seen several Kent models and they have all been good. The construction should entail internal wood reinforecements which will ensure the hull is rigid.

Most GRP hulls are flexible until the deck and its supporting beams go in. Sometimes, depending on the hull, the bottom can also be reinforced internally with plywood.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:19:04 pm »

I’ve got a Kent hull from Deans Marine and I can safely say that it’s pretty tough and robust- the sides do need pulling in as per the Nexus/Sarik Hobbies drawings but that is easily achievable with deck beams.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:17:08 am »

Brilliant, thanks very much gents. Just what I wanted to know. Just got to think of a place to store the finished model when built. Peter

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 05:58:56 pm »

By the way what motors should I be looking at? Peter

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 04:33:26 pm »

I think Ron has been in the business long enough to know what us fussy customers ( {-) {-) {-) ) expect from kits and hulls. Therefore with the suggestions added above, you will get a good result from your kit, definitely from the hull.
Pond weed is your enemy

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 04:44:43 pm »

Thanks, Ive ordered and received the hull and it is quite robust. Not to happy with the service but thats another matter

KiwiRookieModeller

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 01:50:26 pm »

I just bought the Deans Kent myself + fittings (over a few months!). It's a future build so looking forward to seeing yours! I'm rather used to Fleetscale hulls which are alot thicker, but found the Deans hulls I have to be quite sturdy (as said) once the beams go in. That being said, I drilled out the portholes on one hull recently and the GRP broke off as it was too close to the top - so don't be as hamfisted as I am if you want open portholes.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 10:06:49 am »

I dont think I will be drilling out the portholes on my hull as the uppermost ones are not very noticable, rather hit and miss on my molding. I will just paint them in with black. Like you say with a few beams in the hull it should be quite stable. What motors and propshafts are you going to use? I bought from my local DIY store some upvc pipe for the funnels and I will be making all of the fittings myself. I am lucky to have two lathes, milling machine and other bits and pieces. I begrudge paying silly money for vac moldings etc.

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 11:18:04 am »

is it thin wall (drain pipe) pvc,, the thick wall stuff can add a great deal of weight in the wrong place..

KiwiRookieModeller

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 11:39:08 am »

I've not yet harnessed the skills to do R/C, but I love static displays so i'll be building my Kent that way - and I tend to use G.T. Sitek for the propshafts and A frames. I won't start on mine for quite awhile, i've still got a few on the go (and none finished!). But I'm rather jealous you can make your own fittings, I don't love the vacform stuff myself either but still a novice wood-working wise.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 05:37:12 pm »

Thin wall, GT Sitek are quite reasonable on price I see, I tend to make my own but at these prices its not worth the hassle

tscoupland

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 07:49:56 am »

Thanks, Ive ordered and received the hull and it is quite robust. Not to happy with the service but thats another matter

Hi ether823  was the problem the courier?

Now worried as my Kelly kit is now in the delivery pipeline, fingers crossed...... I chose the DPD option !

Tim

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 09:27:13 am »

The delivery wasn`t the problem. Bearing in mind i`m a pensioner on a fixed budget, I ordered and paid for the hull and received it, no problem, then by chance checked my bank account and found that I had been over charged £40. I contacted Deans and was told that that was the price. I said about what I was quoted and was told that the price was the one that they took out of my account, had a shouting match over the phone but to no avail, end of story unless I returned the hull at my own cost. I checked the receipt that came with the hull and first they took the amount that we agreed on then they took an extra £40, and another thing there is no mention on there web site that you need to put vat onto the price they quote. Anyway ive had enough of them and will never use them ever again and the hull will stay under the bench as I dont really feel I want to build it.

tscoupland

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 10:40:35 am »

The delivery wasn`t the problem. Bearing in mind i`m a pensioner on a fixed budget, I ordered and paid for the hull and received it, no problem, then by chance checked my bank account and found that I had been over charged £40. I contacted Deans and was told that that was the price. I said about what I was quoted and was told that the price was the one that they took out of my account, had a shouting match over the phone but to no avail, end of story unless I returned the hull at my own cost. I checked the receipt that came with the hull and first they took the amount that we agreed on then they took an extra £40, and another thing there is no mention on there web site that you need to put vat onto the price they quote. Anyway i've had enough of them and will never use them ever again and the hull will stay under the bench as I don't really feel I want to build it.

Oh that is not good. Every one round here says Mr Dean is good guy. Is that who you spoke to?
I too am a pensioner on a fixed budget, so get where you are coming from.

Having never done business with them so I paid for mine via PayPal - the PnP was shown as free but they did add an £18 handling charge that was not mentioned. A bit more transparency might be good for their business.

Anyway I have my fingers crossed there is no problems with my delivery, the local DPD guys spent yesterday driving and walking around the area looking for a property to deliver to, nobody had heard of the place - turns out it was one of the new builds........

Tim

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 11:48:16 am »

Ron Dean would not come to the phone, I could hear him in the background making the bullets so to speak and I paid with my bank card. The phone was put down on me in the end. The hardest thing in the world is to keep a customer and the easiest thing is to loose one. They forget that without us there would be no businesses.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 06:58:00 pm »

Dean's have no right to take an additional £40 from your account in excess of the agreed and invoiced amount. This action strikes me as illegal and you should press them for a refund of the excess amount. I will certainly never buy anything from them. They are out of order.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2021, 08:05:30 pm »

I have moved on now but it has taken the shine off model boating for me. I have now moved back into radio controlled  model aircraft and I am making a model steam engine from a set of castings

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 10:05:18 pm »

All sounds a bit fishy, wonder if Ron would like to comment? always two sides to a story

Bob
I will finish this model

KiwiRookieModeller

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 10:20:54 pm »

Really sorry to hear of your issues - and feel the pain of the expensive hulls. Extra charges should always be queried, though I've personally found Deans Marine to be really helpful to me and i've ended up with a few hulls and ALOT of fittings from them. I wonder if as someone said it was a different courier cost? I tended to select the cheapest courier option and I wonder if that got missed out in your order? I hope you get some clarity.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2021, 09:53:25 am »

nothing fishy at all Bob, I was quoted one price and charged another

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 10:15:55 am »

So one of the real advantages we have in this day & age, dealing with a Multi-National....or a smaller Supplier......

Verbals are not worth the paper they are printed on  :o

Two sides to every side & every situation and misunderstanding

Send an e-mail & request the confirmation [edit of total cost] by return :-))  .....[electronic text cannot smell of dead fish]

I am in Australia, however a number of colleagues have indicated the greatest respect for the business ethics of the Supplier mentioned in this thread

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 10:35:53 am »

nothing fishy at all Bob, I was quoted one price and charged another

What I meant is seems a bit fishy from Rons end, it does not seem like him or the company which is why I would like to hear his side.  Not disputing your comments but open minded.

Bob
I will finish this model

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 02:26:40 pm »

when I agreed to buy the hull I asked the guy I was dealing with (not ron) the price and I said OK. The price I paid was more. Can we please move on from this, many thanks, Peter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 22 queries.