Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MODEL SOUNDS INC SHOCKWAVE SOUND SYSTEM  (Read 1033 times)

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
MODEL SOUNDS INC SHOCKWAVE SOUND SYSTEM
« on: April 13, 2021, 07:25:59 pm »

Hi all.
I have recently fried one of these excellent sound units by carelessly dropping the power leads onto the battery and, sods law, the leads were the wrong way round. <:(
I have ordered a new unit but wondered if there are any electronics wizards out there who would like to have a go at repairing the duff one. If there is anyone who is prepared to have a go and manages to fix it they can keep it and have a very good and expensive sound system. If it can't be fixed then just bin it. I would also send all the instructions etc and a micro sd card without which nothing will work anyway.
Any takers?

RST

Re: MODEL SOUNDS INC SHOCKWAVE SOUND SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:51:38 pm »

If it's that expensive can you not send it back for repair? Or is that not an option.

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:01:08 pm »

Not an option I'm afraid. The module measures about 5 inch x 3 inch and the circuit board (which is basically all it is) is packed with all sorts of electronic bits and pieces which I have no idea what they are or do.
I suspect it is un-repairable but if someone wants to have a go, all power to their elbow.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 02:09:11 am »

Probably not very helpful to hear right now, but to prevent this sort of thing I keep keyed connectors on my SLA batteries at all times and use alligator clips to charge them if I don't have the right adaptor.  That way whenever it goes into the boat it's guaranteed to have the correct polarity.  One inexpensive source of keyed power connectors is trailer brake wiring plugs, I assume you'd have something like that over there. 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 03:51:53 am »

This was literally sods law.
I normally put the little plastic covers that come with the sla  batteries back on the terminals whenever the batteries are not connected up to anything.
I had just taken them off ready to connect the sound system, picked up the cables and dropped the things - landed on top of the battery the wrong way round. Grabbed the cables but the damage was done.
Ce la vie!
Thanks for the reply anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.