Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wall display  (Read 1492 times)

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
wall display
« on: April 15, 2021, 10:39:47 am »

Hi, going to buy a 56 1/2 inch HMS Kent hull and I was thinking of storing and when finished displaying it on brackets on a wall, which would be the best way to do this. Peter

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: wall display
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 12:29:04 pm »

You could consider the vessel on a Dock Yard/Dry Dock scenario mounted on the wall....[the Dry Dock rats would however be rather little]  :-X
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:50:28 pm »

Suggest you think about a case glass/perspex fronted otherwise you're going to have a terrible dust trap.
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:17:57 pm »

My immediate thoughts.
Dougal99 is 100% correct.

One idea would be putting the model on a standard stand, then placing this on a glass shelf. The glass shelf would allow up lighting and down lighting, depending on your mood. Glass shelf kits are easily available.
Additionally, an open backed Perspex box could then be hung separately on the wall, over the model. this distributes the weight over more of the wall.

However, as most viewing well be from slightly above, and some viewers will be small, this would not be very high up the wall. I am also thinking that case covering the model will need to be two inches, at least, wider than the beam of the model (one inch clearance either side). The case would also need to be about 2m long.

With this in mind, I would be inclined to build a floor standing, glass fronted cabinet. With the HMS Kent model centrally mounted on a glass shelf. I could then place other things on the base shelf, and the top of the cabinet can be used to display other things, like SWMBO's ornaments. That way I could not be accused of stealing the whole wall for myself.

One way to test options is to build full size mock ups, out of cardboard boxes, and packing tape. You only need side walls, top, and bottom to get a feel of how much floor/wall space your display case will actually take. If you leave the front and back open, you will be mimicking a glass fronted case. You can make the frames by folding cardboard into square or triangular tubes. These mockups could be something to play with whilst waiting for glue to dry, or in those moments when you have modelers block.

The idea of cardboard mock ups is an old cabinet makers trick I have used. The number one design mistake/sin of people new to cabinet making, is constructing pieces that are too large. Been there, done that. Mock ups avoid the problem.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 04:06:04 pm »

My Granada model sits in a floor mounted case as per TT's suggestion. I originally made if for my Vic Smeed Bardic ferry back in the 1970s and modified it slightly for the Granada.

The back front and sides are stained veneered furniture board as is the the lower shelf. The front is a toughened glass panel and the top is also of toughened glass and simply sits on top over the front glass and between the side panels. Both glass panels are easily removed for access to the model.

The sides extend down to the floor so the base of the case is essentially a shelf with a full length back to keep everything rigid. The assembly is screwed to the wall. The whole thing can be easily unscrewed into its flat component parts if needed to be temporarily removed.

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 04:56:29 pm »

The back front and sides are stained veneered furniture board as is the the lower shelf. The front is a toughened glass panel and the top is also of toughened glass and simply sits on top over the front glass and between the side panels. Both glass panels are easily removed for access to the model.

That looks really nice Colin. I like the idea of the glass top, that lets in lots of extra light.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 05:30:43 pm »

Thanks gents, The model will be radio controlled. I saw somewhere someone had some bars with rubber or lagging on them coming out of a wall and the boat just sat on them, no great big shelf in the way.How would make this set up?  Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 05:53:42 pm »

That looks really nice Colin. I like the idea of the glass top, that lets in lots of extra light.

Thanks TT, it's done the job for over 40 years! The glass top allows the light from a ceilng mounted spotlight to literally showcase the model!

Peter, you could simply buy a pair of smart brackets, mount cradles on them and put the boat on the wall as you suggest but there are two big disadvantages. Firstly it it isn't protected from physical damage and secondly, as Dougal says, the model will become a dust magnet more quickly than you can ever imagine. Once it's in all the crevices and corners it is almost impossible to remove.

Colin

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 06:13:48 pm »

Thanks for all the information gents, a lot to think about. Peter

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 01:13:52 am »

Thanks gents, The model will be radio controlled. I saw somewhere someone had some bars with rubber or lagging on them coming out of a wall and the boat just sat on them, no great big shelf in the way.How would make this set up?  Peter

The simplest option then would be to look at bicycle or garden tool mounting brackets. Some are hooked, which would not be suitable, but some are flat or other shapes.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 03:48:03 am »

If you can find some wall brackets like these, then you can mount two or three of them to the wall studs, andplace the shelf brackets at a height you want to display your model.  And it allows you to place additional
shelf brackets for other items or boats if you want to expand the number of shelves.
https://www.homebase.co.uk/double-slot-upright-white-1206mm/12815577.html

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 07:17:29 am »

Why not build a very nice storage/carry box for the boat with a perspex front that clips to the wall - 2 birds with one stone. 

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 07:56:07 am »

Something like this.   Chipboard ends, ply top, back, bottom and 3 mm. perspex front that lifts out of al. angle runners.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 08:17:04 am »

Something like this.   Chipboard ends, ply top, back, bottom and 3 mm. perspex front that lifts out of al. angle runners.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 10:23:55 am »

I think that Umi has hit the nail on the head, that`s what I was thinking of. Peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 11:53:16 am »

Hi there, I used a similar system to that is suggested by Umi - but - what I have done is mounted the rails first onto 2 x 1/2 inch plywood.  This plywood is secured to the walls - the reason being the thin rails tend to cut into the plasterboard of the house walling when any weight is put onto it.   So, to spread the weight, that is why I mount them on plywood.   I use a similar system of storage in the garage - but - I wrap my models up in a very fine decorators plastic to prevent them from becoming damp/dusty and they are in storage.   In my workroom where the shelving is for the display my models or, in better terms, to keep my junk safe :-) I have invested in a Blueair air filter which I bought from Argos and it doesnt half keep down the very fine particles and dust - therefore there isnt as much dust on my models as there used to be (so far anyway).

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.