Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ark Models "Privateer"  (Read 1267 times)

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old age is a privilege, not a disease
Ark Models "Privateer"
« on: January 19, 2021, 01:05:28 pm »

Has anyone come across this pretty ancient kit? I got it as part of a job lot of "attic finds" on EBay, and I would guess it is 40-50 years old. Very little paperwork with it, but the box gives Ark Models as being a London address and has photos of a range of  kits.
 The kit is fairly crude, with a pre-carved solid wood hull. It is supposed to be a generic model of a 17th/18th century privateer, ship rigged, carrying 20 guns, and the finished model should be about 450 mm long overall and 350mm high, but from the hull form I'm guessing it is supposed to be around 1650 or earlier.
   There were a couple of pieces missing, but I started to put it together as an ornament more than anything else, and as light relief from my ongoing Billings "Danmark" build. Should have left it at that, but now I have got into questioning the authenticity of various details and trying to correct them.
   The mizzen spanker looks way too small to me, and I think on a hull like that it should have a lateen mizzen. Anyone got any views? Also, because the bowsprit is heavily raked upward I think it would look better with a square spritsail under it
   The ship's wheel supplied just looks silly. Currently I am undecided whether to try to make a more authentic wheel arrangement or to go for a whipstaff, which I think could be appropriate. Again, any views?
  Would be very interested to hear from anyone that has built this kit or seen one made-up.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Ark Models "Privateer"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 02:40:49 pm »

Would be lateen at that age but would be up to interpretation which is the easiest direction to modify from, the hull or the rest.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:42:47 pm »

Found this diagram in a very old book of mine of sailing vessels development, thought it might help you.

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old age is a privilege, not a disease
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:13:46 am »

Thanks, gentlemen.
    I have decided to stick with the hull form with high overhanging poop, and put a lateen mizzen on it. Also, I will put a steering wheel on it, but one that looks right rather than the 'orrible thing supplied. I shall describe it as "c.1650 " and see if anyone wants to argue about it! :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.