Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: finishing resin only  (Read 1130 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
finishing resin only
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:16:25 pm »

Would the team reccomend or shout no at just using a coat or two of finishing resin on a ply covered hull?

Bob
I will finish this model

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: finishing resin only
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:45:26 pm »

As a sealer and to give a good finish then epoxy resin is one of the best. A good idea is to thin the first coat to help it soak into the wood and harden the surface. Adding some microballoons will help when it comes to sanding and will give a smooth surface without needing several coats, sanding in between to fill scratches from sanding. It doesn't need a lot of microballoons as you only need enough to slightly thicken the epoxy, you are not using it as a filler for large holes.
Jim

Dundee Model Boat club

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »

Would the team reccomend or shout no at just using a coat or two of finishing resin on a ply covered hull?

Bob
Look up ZAP Z-POXY finishing resin , absolutely no smell & soaks right in without thinning , I did my 1976 Swordsman reborn again with it, two coats , 2nd coat sanded down great , problems? a bit pricey , and runs like water while its curing , the hardener/ resin has to be an exact equal mix , too much hardener and the coating goes rubbery , too little and there's wet spots .
 https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56327.msg584530.html#msg584530
page two is were the real action takes place !
Bill

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 04:04:05 pm »

hi there,

The hull in the link below isn't ply skinned, it still uses the Z-poxy finishing resin as has already been mentioned in this build.

The thing to remember is; any resin, whether it be Epoxy or polyester, or, come to think of it - even paint thinned down - will only sink in to the first layer of wood; as the bonding material between the layers of wood in the plywood will prevent any absorption passed this.

So, the ideal thing is - give the plywood a good 'roughing up' with sand paper to give the Epoxy a good surface to key to.  This will prevent any flaking off.  Here is the link to the hull which I built.

John

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20758.msg206486.html#msg206486
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 23 queries.