Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRP mould  (Read 8154 times)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GRP mould
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 12:44:41 pm »

I'm glad that when I jumped in I only referred to cloth (or should it be clothe?) I got the thanks ref.
     Bluebird but missed the no thanks?  And can you PLEASE not tell everybody ALL the secrets at one go?
     We've got to have SOME mystique left to show these kids we've done it all before?

regards   Ian

P.S.  I've always known it as MATT.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »

Hi there Ian, the no thanks bit....was referring to memories ..... some bad ones.  Can you remember the smell that used to linger around you, doesnt matter how many showers you had, the smell still there, cutting resin off your hair and elsewhere, and, in the summer when the factory was red-hot the itching that you eventually become immune to, not to mention, when things go wrong and you have spent days working on a mould and it all goes wrong.  Then there is some wise guy leaning over your shoulder, pointing out everything, but the right thing....aye.... and all you want to do is take that mould and shove it where the sun don't shine...aye that's the no thanks bit .... cos you know you have to start it all over again.  ;D ;D ;)

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 06:31:07 pm »

Topic swept and tided up......  :)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 07:36:42 pm »

aye
John E
Bluebird

You really ought to write a book on this subject. Your ideas are far in advance of an old Nexus (?) item I learned from.  As far as stiffening up a long hull (looking at 6' plus) I use 1" angle iron clagged in with "hairy-filler" (bought or home grown). The alignment of the iron has at least 2 benefits.
1. It sure adds rigidity to a long hull.
2. Placed accurately it makes a ready-made home for batteries and such like. (And my bigger ones really need the weight!) Keep going. Obviously feeling a lot better now. Cheers. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 08:10:09 pm »

Colin-stevens, I just hope that next time you want help on such a contentious subject you remember the skin,hair
      and two moderations that you've caused with this one!

Luv  Ian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 08:24:31 pm »

As an example of what looks like bad practice this picture of my 1:1 scale boat may be of interest. Having got her out of the water I'm now trying to track down a minor leak around the forward part of the hull around where the tube for the speed log paddlewheel goes through. Having stripped off the paint I found what appeared to be some cracks in the bottom of the hull near where I think the problem is. I used a scraper blade to dig into them and found I was pulling off chunks of pure resin around 6mm thick. On first impressions it looks as if it may have been poured into the mould to make the "corner" where the flat bottom meets the side. There is no GRP mat in it at all and there is a sort of greyish substrate which I assume is the hull proper. Most of the clear resin seems to be bonded to this but there are some areas, as you can see, where the resin has separated. The original layup would have been in 1983. It looks as if I shall have to clear out the loose stuff and replace it with epoxy filler.

This may not be the actual leak which could in fact be going up the side of the plastic tube through the hull that the paddlewheel unit sits in.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 08:58:53 pm »

Ian, as per usual i seem to have missed the fun. never had a thread moderated before, wish i knew why!!!
never did i think it would be contentios. (?)
dont care, i learnt alot from it, even though the mould i was puling had no detail, and was relativly simple.
keep the hints coming, i am sure i am not the only one interested.
colin.
grumpy old XXX

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 09:04:28 pm »

This one to other Colin (Bishop), can't quite make out hull construction but if its G/F it is probably polyester molding
     so epoxy don't stick to it very well?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 09:21:28 pm »

Yes, it would be polyester but being so old I reckon you will need to abrade the surface to get a mechanical bond. It may be worth putting on a thin layer of that epoxy paste that is used to seal leaks and will cure underwater - seems to stick to anything.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.