Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My favorite RC model planes of my own  (Read 2714 times)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My favorite RC model planes of my own
« on: April 18, 2021, 09:42:07 am »

Hi all;
I have enjoyed to build and fly the RC model airplanes about over 20 years up to the 60s many years ago.
Total numbers of the planes I made possibly might be around 80 or more during this periods.
Nevertheless only less than 10 planes survived still in my room getting so aged like me..... {-) %% ok2
The pictures to come up here are only a part of my impressive and forgettable scenes taken during
my RC plane pilot age. And about 10 planes are kept even now in service whenever it could take off for the sorties if commanded by as my vision is still kept at 1.0 though terribly aged... {-) %) Don't take sooo seriously on this point. {-) 
well,the preface has become a bit longer...then start now slowly....!
No1 plane I take up here is Old Japan Army Type 4 fighter "Hayate"("Frank" by US code name)
Max speed was about 627km/h(392miles/h)which was the fastest in Japanese fighters in those days, but comparatively not so fast in the world at All!
But it reportedly marked the 690km/h(431miles/h)in the test run by US fuel after the WW2.
1/2;The real fighter
3/4/5/6/7;My Hayate at 1/8 scale

These were  taken at our local riverside flying field.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My favorite RC model planes of my own
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:42:35 am »

Hi all;
My favorite scenes of the RC Hayate(Nearly fresh breeze) are like these.
1/2;Before engine start
3;Warming up the 2 stroke 30 class engine in the early winter at our riverside air field.
4;The tail gear up!with the sufficient ground speed
5;For a fraction of the second it took off the ground powerfully and stably!
6;The real picture taken by a gun camera of a US fighter over the Philippines in 1944...NO my Hayate was!! %% {-)
  But I was really surprised to know that US fighters had been equipped with the colored gun cameras in those days.... :D
7;My Hayate is just about to stretch both landing gears for landing over me.! In a few second,it landed safely by my stick
    work.!! {-) %%
8;Task completed with a safe return!! O0 {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:34 am »

Hi nice to see your model aircraft.  I started off flying model gliders and rubber powered planes 70 years ago but after spending all my pocket money for 4 years on them I had nothing to show but broken balsa wood, so moved over to model boats.
I follow on You Tube the design and performance of the WW2 aircraft of all nations. 

The good performance of the Japanese a/c was much based on no protection for the pilot, very sad!  It was said that all that was needed was a burst of bullets into the wing tanks which were not self sealing and the a/c was doomed as was the pilot.  Is it true that they never had parachutes?

However I do prefer the look of the old biplanes and if offered a model that is what I would have.  These days I am more 'slow and sedate'!
Do we assume you also have model boats?
regards
Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 11:10:54 am »

..........................The good performance of the Japanese a/c was much based on no protection for the pilot, very sad!  It was said that all that was needed was a burst of bullets into the wing tanks which were not self sealing and the a/c was doomed as was the pilot.  Is it true that they never had parachutes?..............................

regards
Roy

The Germans had parachutes for aircrew at the end of WW1 but the British didn't use them as it was seen as encouraging cowardice. I suspect that the Japanese had the same idea in WW2.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:19 am »

Hi roycv;
 First of all,thank you so much for your friendly comment on my previous post.
As for WW2 Japanese warplanes and their pilots,I understood like you mentioned.
Design concept was focused mainly on long range flight capability and dog fight maneuverability for which
a plane must be as light as possible.A light plane is normally able to load more fuel to fly a long distance as over the ocean
like the Pacific or the continent.For these purposes and traditional Japanese way of thinking about disregarding peoples'
lives,no self sealing structure around fuel tanks and no special protection for a pilot and his parachute were too natural for the military leaders of Japan in pre-war days.
What is worse,Japanese soldiers long have been educated not to return alive to the country from the battle fields.
"The soldiers should be die for their Emperor and HIS nation if required...."
This will be an origin or the background of the above mentioned.
I suppose Christian countries may never think and believe such thoughts as above....

By the way,I also have become  slow and sedate in recent years as I was born in a few years later the end of WW2
and therefore I have spent much time in operating RC boats rather than building them.
I already have many RC model boats, tanks,RC cars and Rc planes by which there is hardly  enough space to store.!
I don't know how long I am able to enjoy the RC models to come in the future with these models to which I poured
the huge amount of time and money so far...Unless I enjoy operating the models NOW,I wonder why I made them seriously. {-) %%

I "ll show you an interesting pic for you tonight.
The center old man is so famous Japanese Zero fighter pilot Saburo Sakai around 83 years old at this stage,who is well-known as to shoot down 64 enemy planes,max record as a Japanese pilot survived the WW2.He passed away some years later.
Right is also a pilot of Navy interceptor Shidenkai("George"by US code name)
Left is,of course,me when too young.

The airplane is my George at 1/9 scale.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 12:31:32 pm »

Hi each country has its heros and nice that you got to meet one of them.

My radio control equipment is all quite old now but still works and 80% Japanese made, I have only a few esc's that are Chinese.
Best advice for getting old is do not slow down just carry on as if you were 40 again.
Regards
Roy

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 01:58:58 pm »

Hi Roy;

Thank you for your advice.
I am still one of marathon runners to keep on enjoying RC models. %% {-)
With this sport, I am currently healthy enough fundamentally.
One of my best advice to live longer and healthy in life is to keep on doing regularly some kind of sports
whichever is OK. %% O0

These pics show the latest so called half-marathon race held three years ago, since then off with typhoon damage at the course and covid-19...
1;At the 10km point
2;Goal !!

Stay safe and healthy for a happy RC boating in life !! %% O0

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 09:00:15 am »

I made a large mistake about a previous description on an equipment of WW2 Japanese pilots that I had referred to as they did not wear the parachutes on duty. But they wore the parachutes as formal equipment,but...in most cases they went on with their damaged planes to the final destinations without any hesitation as if it were so natural.The same things were normally done among the captains of IJN warships.

Pics below are ,of course,as you may know German Bf-109 at 1/9 scale.
The second pic looks as if the Bf-109 was coming into strafing at low altitude.
I like to fly the RC model planes at eye-level as below as it looks stunningly dynamic to me when passing by with a realistic engine sound... %%

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 02:09:36 pm »

Hi all;
Pics for my favorite scenes of My Hayate  are the followings;
This plane survived numerous "sorties" in some years, but not in my air corps...
It did a very very good job as a RC glow engine fighter...but one day suddenly.... {:-{ :((
1;Well then,shall we start as the engine has been already well tuned today too to be able to anything in the air by a veteran pilot ? %%
2;I'm ready to go !
3/4;Realistic flying scenes ? O0
5;Natural dirty weathering by the glow engine exhaust smoke during numerous flights. %%

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:02 pm »

Hi all;
I also like this Piper Cherokee with a wing span of about 1.5m powered by 45 2-stroke glow engine.
This plane flew so majestically in the air like a real one and its look at the middle speed leaving
a moderate engine sound.
I made two ,but none in my air-corps... <:(
1;A very beautiful plane
2;With flaps! These were so effective when landing. O0
3;Running in the engine at riverside.
4;In the air with the flaps down ,so stable flying at very low speed!
5;Landing with the flaps down like a real plane. O0 Attention to the props which could slightly be seen at low RPM of the engine for landing.! O0
6;Parking with the flaps down like a real plane at the riverside apron %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 12:16:34 am »

Wow......between model Boats, Scale Tanks, model Off-Road vehicles & now model Aeroplanes  :o   ....when do you find time to work?  {-)

Have you counted up the number of radio control transmitters you have? and how do you remember which is for which?  :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 03:43:47 am »

Hi Derekwarner:

Thank you so much for your comment.
I was born several years later than 1945 when my late father returned from a jail of POWs at Brisbane in Australia.
He spent there for half a year after the surrender as a infantry without suiciding by a grenade in the East New Guinea.
His colleagues still alive at that time were very little in one division,which meant it actually annihilated by combat, disease and starvation. <:(
Therefor, I am old enough even not to work generally , but actually still working 3 days a week,the rest 4 are my free time
by which I am able to do whatever I want.! %% 🎵~♪~♬~

As for my transmitters,I am STILL using so traditional FM,AM type radios like some of the FMs in the pics and the FM transmitters have a memory function of  the input data of 4 RC models at maximum in these radios,possibly you may know of this FM radio....
So I do not get confused which radio to carry with when going out for RC model activities...

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 02:43:52 pm »

Hi all;
One of the very impressive scenes at our club flying meet held about 80km away from Tokyo
 was as in the following pics. My 1.5m wing span class planes were the overwhelmingly smallest in the meet .!!! {-)
This flying field is managed by the local government and its rental fee a day is so reasonable for us,what is better,
even a quarter scale planes are allowed to fly. In these days, there are hardly RC model plane flying fields well built
for RC plane flyers so that many enthusiasts come together here from many prefectures around Tokyo. O0
1/2/3;My planes at the flying field.
4/5/6;A quarter planes which engine sounds were so realistic as well as their looks.!! balibalibali balibalibali buwooooon.. {-) O0 
Frankly speaking,from my experience of operating RC models,I feel flying the RC model planes in the blue sky is most cheerful,and tensest in terms of  the operation as the planes could not afford to stop in the air different from other RC models when something bad should happen. {-) {-) {-) O0 O0

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 03:02:47 am »

Hi all;
This was the very plane that taught me how I should make the acrobatic flights.!
It was so stable in the air regardless of kinds of the acrobatic performances for some years...
I wish I could make it again if the flying circumstances could be given to me like flying field and
glow engine sound problems ... {:-{ :((
1;Dash is the name of the plane equipped with a 30 class 2 stroke glow engine made by OS.
2;Starting on a very muddy flying field along the river.
3;taking off the ground and gradually climbing at shallow angle.
4;The plane was flaring out definitely in final approach...
5;In a few seconds of flaring out,it touched down onto the ground safely.... %% O0
  And I was so relieved at this moment usually.!! {-)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 01:05:06 pm »

Hi all;
One of my favorite Rc operated planes I made was this jet like fighter FA-18 Super Hornet equipped with
an OS 61 2stroke glow engine and still alive now here !! %% ;)
This is my only one jet like fighter ever made spending nearly one year.It was stunningly fast like a jet fighter.! :D :}
Therefor flaps are indispensable when to land safely on the flying field.
It is about 150 cm long and flew as in the last pic leaving a metallic sound which image was not that of mine.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 06:31:58 am »

Hi all ,and James321 or shall I say "Mustang Sally" again as you were called ? {-) %%
The followings are the very old pics taken in those days when I was also toooo young and my fighter squadron was at a peak.
My flight skill was also at my peak as if I were a famous Japanese naval fighter pilot Saburo Sakai who shot down 64 enemy planes throughout the Pacific war. {-) %%
1;I am still a fanatic of RC war birds,especially US Marines /Navy F4-U Corsair except Japanese fighters.
2;Japanese naval fighters and US naval fighters both of which were once rivals each other as you may possibly know....
  However,they were my members of my fighter squadron.!! {-) %%
3;This is my RC squadron at a peak.!!
4;This squadron was headed by a young leader, first lieutenant Backerther.! O0 O0 O0 %) ok2
5;A Zero fighter 1/8 operated by the young leader was just about to land at an airstrip.
6/7;Most of the squadron are still alive and ready to go with some preparation,though the problem is the flying field... <:( <:( :(( >>:-( <*<
No,No,!my skill is still well maintained whenever the order be issued,even if I got already tooo old.!!  %% %% {-) :-))
I was so brilliant to spend the time with these RC model planes in those days and am nowadays with RC boats and ships  mostly together with other RC models,needless to say anymore !! :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.