Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy M's Sea Rover Budget Build (two models)  (Read 9522 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Andy M's Sea Rover Budget Build (two models)
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:39:10 am »

I liked the look of the Sea Rover, and as my friend was wanting to try building a boat, I thought the Sea Rover would be a straighforward build for him. He had looked at kits that I sent links to, but they were expensive and pretty small for the money.
 Sea Rover is a decent size of model to build, and should be quite inexpensive the way I am planning on doing it.
 A request for a copy of the plan was quickly answered (thanks very much Harry) and I started tracing it from my laptop, liking the look of it more and more.
 I decided I wanted to build one as well, it made sense really!.
 My budget is limited, so I picked the cheapest material I could find that would still be strong...... Liteply, very nice quality, a bit harder than all my old liteply scraps. Also very light coloured, appearing closer to birch ply than my liteply bits from years ago. . Anyway, I thought 3 sheets (1ft x 4ft) would be enough, mmmm, not really, I have had to make 3 of the bulkheads from my scraps box. Not an issue, they are inside and shouldnt be too noticeable. I might have been able to get them from whats left after cutting out sides and bottom skins, but I wont know till after I have built the hull up to that point!
 My 'bitser' bulkheads will do the job, but I should have really got another sheet. My friend had already bought his 3 sheets before I realised my estimate was out. He will be getting bitser bulkheads too.
 3 sheets of liteply was £23 delivered, so 4 sheets would be around £30 including delivery. From Hobbies.
 This is turning out to be a challenge to get all the bits drawn on the wood as tight to each other as I can. Then cutting them out, my spiralux saw has about 12 inch reach, not ideal on 4 ft panels. So a bit of jigsawing with a fine metal blade, followed by sanding has got the panels cut into a pile of nice parts. Biggest single part is the deck, which I cut out first, opposite to how I would do it if I had ample materials. Next was the keel, 2 layers for each front section and rear section.
 The cabin sides were next biggest bits, and they werent going to fit on my remaining ply, as I am keeping a full sheet which should do 3 of the hull skins and a bit wide enough to do the remaining one. I will have some leftover bits after the skinning but no idea how much.
 Back to the cabin sides, I decided to leave off the projections that make up the sides of the cabin well, I can get this later, and they  fitted on my remaining ply without these bits.
 I want a decent propshaft on this boat, M4 rather than the weedy 1.7mm ones I have been using for recent builds, I will probably fork out for a nice rudder unit too.
 Having cut out my pile of parts, I set about refining them to their final shape.
 As I had no suitable lengths of wood for the chines and inwales, I decided to use 2 strips of liteply for each one, not really the usual way of doing it but the end result will be the same. I cut these with a jigsaw clamped upside down in my workmate bench. After cutting the 8 strips required, I gave the edges a light sand to take off the hairy bits. These will be refined a bit more when the time comes for fitting them.
 Bulkhead 3 is shown as a plain flat panel, I want to simulate a door and maybe a window in it. I will be having a look at other models for ideas before I start cutting any holes.
 Still a lot of trimming to do as I go along.
 I am not sure how the liteply will cope with the bow section when it comes to skinning, it should be fine but I can always switch to another material if they wont bend enough.
 I really need the propshaft before I can get the keel finished, the rudder can have a pilot hole/channel left in it and be drilled out later, but I would prefer the propshaft to be fitted as I join the front and rear keel sections.
I found the propshaft I need online, not bought it yet. It is M4 with a 6mm diameter outer, 0.5mm more than the outer of the cheapo thin shafted ones I have been using recently, so I decided this was within filing distance for fitting the shaft later or a custom kebab stick with sandpaper glued on.
 I made up the keel joiner pieces, remembering to chamfer the lower edge to accept bottom skins and the angle changes between B3 and B4 so this had to be faired in nicely. These were then glued in place with my 5.5mm shaft in there to space it correctly. I started work on B3, the cabin door, drivers position and a window are on their way, a lot of tidying with files required before I can proceed.
 My spiralux fretsaw died yesterday, while my friend was cutting out his Sea Rover parts, it overheated and blew a fuse. He had drawn round all my parts and cut them all out in one go, whereas I had been drawing one bit on and cutting it out, tidying it up with a sanding block, then drawing another one on etc.
 My fault, just never thought about it.

The pics show my friends one, just recently started, and my one which is a bit further on, it has windows and bulkheads cut out. The 'held together' pictures show that at a seemingly 'small' 29 and a half inches, this is quite a substantial model. I am thinking about a detailed cabin interior but that can come later, maybe tinted windows to start with? Anyone got any old tinted visor tear offs? I thought I had some... Or was it my brother that had them? Lol. Might just end up with closed curtains.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
Re: Andy M's Sea Rover Budget Build (two models)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 12:54:27 am »

Nice to see another Sea Rover on here Andy.
I will follow with interest and, watch as your progress overtakes me very quickly, you don't seem to take long building boats, fair play.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 01:18:46 am »

Hi Will, I think it was your one that swayed me towards building mine.
This build may take a bit longer as i have something else to distract me from buildin boats.... I will still work on them, I love doing both things.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 10:32:50 am »

Hi Andy,  hobbies are important, equally so a variety.
I've never been into bikes myself, I feel more comfortable in a car, but if I ever did get into to them, it would be classic bikes.
Classic cars and sailing/boating are my other hobbies.
I grew up around Saabs, so they've always been in my head.
Currently, I have a 1964 Saab 96 saloon with the 841cc 2 stroke engine in, a 1976 Saab 99 EMS, their 1st semi sporting saloon and a 1971 Hillman Avenger 1500GL,  with a modified/tuned 1600 in. It's now a genuine 120+ mph car.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 11:55:23 am »

Yes, my model boat building slows up at this time of year as well. Hardly used my bikes last year but will tax them from the 1st May and try and remedy that. Got a soft top that didn't get much use either. And then there's photography!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:03:20 pm »

Hi.  I have a Sea Rover that I built from the SLEC kit.

Suggestion:  If you're going to put the front bulkheads in (not in photos) make largish holes in them first.
Mine sprung a slight leak where the side skin is glued to the stem.  Because I had put holes in the bulkhead I was able to hold the skin firmly in place and squirt epoxy resin through the hole to seal the leak and hold the skin tight.  Without the holes it would have been difficult to get inside the sealed chamber.
Cheers

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 04:15:03 pm »

Definately a good idea, I did think about holes in front bulkhead to allow some varnishing in there, but it would also help for the skinning phase to allow glue to be run down these seams.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:27:08 pm »

A bit more progress on Sea Rover, I cut access holes in front bulkhead (B1), B2 is one that I made up from scraps of liteply so it has a large hole in it already.
 I also cut out the 10 keel doublers, and a set of  'triplers' ?  for the rudder shaft area. It will be a bigger diameter than the propshaft tube, cutting well into the doublers so I wanted some extra strengthening in this area.
 My friend's build is coming along slowly, but surely. He will get the benefit of any modifications I have to make to mine, and seeing mine progressing will give him a better idea of how the numerous different parts go together.
 I have now ordered my propshaft, rudder and a selection of props to try.
 I will be trying the Sea Rover with a brushless motor on 7.4v, there will be plenty of room in the hull for experimenting with various motors if I need to.
 I have glued B1 to the keel, and the upper pair of breast hooks for the inwales, I have not glued any of the other bulkheads in place yet, it will be easier to trim them for a good fit if they are not glued on... and my friend was drawing round them for his build. Glueing will have to happen soon so that I can progress with my build though.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 12:34:08 am »

Making decent headway there Andy.
My Sea Rover is up in the loft for now and needs lots of surgery[/size][size=78%]. [/size]
I'm sticking to working on the Sea Commander and maybe the Sea Urchin at present (now and then) as the Urchin needs the least work and the Commander I've done quite a lot on (in my eyes at least).

It will be nice to see what a tidy Sea Rover should look like though.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 02:03:39 pm »

Thanks, it has been progressing quite slowly due to decent biking weather distracting me from the build.
 I am setting aside time to work away at it though, I decided to glue bulkheads 2 and 3 in place in place, using the underside of my deck which is marked with bulkhead positions and centre line to align them.   The deck is already cut to accept cabin sides, these were trimmed and also glued in place, the cutout in the deck holding them in correct position. Once glued, the assembly was removed from the deck, it will get glued in place later in the build.
 My propshaft and rudder and prop selection came, not bad prices, considering covid price hikes everywhere else. The propshaft is m4 with 6mm outer tube,  I had used a 5.5mm shaft to space the front and rear keel parts when I joined them, a bit of filing and it dry fits very nicely.
 B3 was drilled for propshaft to go through.
 I glued the keel doublers and triplers between B4 and transom, the triplers butt up to the transom. I only fitted them on one side, and with no glue on the area to be cut out for the rudder tube, once cut out with razor saw, I filed the now exposed surface of the doubler to let the rudder tube sit central on the keel. The other doubler and tripler were now glued in place and the doubler filed the same as the other one. Turned out pretty good, safer than risking splitting my keel apart by drilling it.
 B4 and the transom were glued in place now, again using deck in place temporarily to line them up.
 I am now at the stage of having to adjust the chine and inwale notches in the bulkheads, some are perfect, some are a bit out. Plan or me? 😁 Worst case is having to glue a filler piece in, not much of a problem.
 1/8 square spruce deck supports have been glued to the cabin sides and bulkheads B1 to B3, the rest of these behind B3 will be glued in place once B4 and b5/b4a? have been trimmed, b5/b4a is a deck support and will need to wait till the inwales have been fitted.
 I also made up my motor mount, it will be fitted once I get the bottom skins on. This will allow me to trim the motor mount to fit the bottom skin profile.
 The build is progressing nicely, its an actual object now, rather than just a pile of parts. The bottom edges of the keel doublers were sanded to correct angles to accept the bottom skins before I glued them on, as the keel prevents sanding these easily once they are glued on.
 Inwales and chines are next on the build list, I have made a start but lots to trim before these are finally glued in place.
 Using 2 strips of liteply for each chine and inwale is a bit more work than using a single strip of wood but I didnt have any bits long enough, hence the liteply strips. It should all work out nicely in the end but I should have bought some spruce strips for these, to make things easier for myself. I was trying to make as much of the model as possible from liteply.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 03:31:41 pm »

Looking good and starting to resemble a boat now  :-))
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 10:21:05 pm »

First pictures show my friend's build progress, he is slightly behind, but not that much to be honest.
 After some fettling, I got the chines and inwales on, the first layer of them anyway, as I am making each one from 2 layers of liteply. I have the 2nd layers to attach, which should be less stressful than the first ones. One layer would probably have been strong enough but my notches are already cut. It will just be mega strong. Getting closer to being able to start cutting templates for the bottom skins, just got a fair bit of chine and inwale sanding to do first. Quite a bit as this liteply is pretty tough.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 10:12:56 pm »

My friend's build gets a bit further forward, all doublers and rudder tube triplers glued, hole for rudder done, one more bulkhead to cut out, and some fettling of chine and inwale notches are his next jobs.
Mine has had the second layers of chine and inwale strips glued on. I can now sand the whole hull to accept skins. Its pretty tough for liteply but will be strong.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 10:20:44 pm »

You're both making great progress on the two Rovers.

Following with great interest and really looking forward to seeing them on the water.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 10:48:56 pm »

I was looking at Sea Rover pictures and found that some of the ones I looked at had different cockpit sides to mine, they dipped down behind the windscreen, mine has a rounded bit. Looking at an original advert, mine is the same. I prefer that look.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 10:53:12 pm »

I noticed that about the cabin sides too, when I started looking at Sea Rovers after I first got mine.

The slightly rounded side, like yours and mine looks better in my opinion.  Although, the canopy I'm undecided on at present.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 10:57:47 pm »

I wasnt sure about the canopy either, I dont have much to make it from anyway.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 10:59:46 pm »

The end of the day, you could always add it at a later date if you decided you wanted to.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 11:04:42 pm »

I thought about maybe a cloth one? As you say, can always add it later.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 11:05:48 pm »

Cloth might not look so heavy, so yeah, you might be on to something there.

49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 11:12:29 pm »

I was thinking about adding 'fairey' type air intakes, as the side looks pretty big and plain and the curve would run roughly following the rounded bit of the side? Dont really know yet, can make them up and tack them on with blu tac to see how it looks.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 11:30:17 pm »

Hmm, I think a temporary mock up is definitely the way to go with that for sure.

I know what you mean about the sides being a fairly large and plain/blank area though.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 11:35:31 pm »

What about if the aft window in the cabin sides were a bit longer and came back closer to below the wheelhouse front? It would depend on the position of the bulkhead inside of course.

I can't remember who's picture this is, but I like it, because it gives an idea of what they look like both with and without the canopy.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 12:47:02 am »

The lower one suits the canopy pretty well, might go for similar colour scheme for mine, kind of classic look. Cant quite make out colour under waterline, best guess is green, or blue.
They both look good though. So mine might get the canopy at some point.
I am undecided about the captain's seat, due to the size I made the dummy door on b3, the resulting size of a figure, would not allow seeing through the windscreen, if you know what I mean. I was going to build a raised platform for steering with a dashboard 'pod', This might look a bit odd though? I will probably just continue with that, can always build the canopy to cover it if its not good. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 11:19:27 pm »

A bit more progress on both models, my friend has nearly caught up with me, he has the second layers of chines and inwales to glue on, and some sanding. Quite a bit. 😁 I dont think he anticipated so much sanding. I have tried to cut the bits as close as possible, but still leave a fettling's worth. Still a deck support to fit between the inwales, in front of transom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.